MPD's Special Victims Unit (SVU) is staffed by six detectives. The mission of the SVU is to respond to, and investigate crimes against children. The detectives who work these cases advocate for the victims and offer supportive resources. Our SVU endeavors to work collaboratively with many other social service agencies and prosecutors in holding offenders accountable for their actions.
Specific crimes investigated by the SVU include:
- Death investigations involving a child
- Child abuse or neglect cases
- Child sexual abuse cases
- Internet Crimes Against Children (ICAC)
- Cases determined by the Chief to require the expertise and resources unique to the SVU
Our SVU works extensively with partner agencies and favors a multi-disciplinary approach in accomplishing their mission. This is evidenced through their work with the Safe Harbor Child Advocacy Center and their participation as an affiliate in the Wisconsin ICAC Task Force.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 07/16/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 07/17/2018, MPD received 548 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 548 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (90), East (108), Midtown (77), North (86), South (64), West (81), and Other (42). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 4:17pm-6:40pm due to calls for service.
**Priority only calls form 12:08am-3:15am due to calls for service.
1) WEST: Stolen Auto – 6:30 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residential area for a report of two AAMs attempting to break into and steal a vehicle. The suspects fled in another vehicle (reported stolen yesterday). Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Stolen Auto – 8:20 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a stolen vehicle. The vehicle had been left unlocked with the keys inside. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 8:40 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a deceased subject (50-year-old WM). The decedent had known drug and medical issues. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Sexual Assault of a Child – 10:34 a.m. Officers responded to assist Child Protective Services with a sexual assault of a child (3-year-old) investigation. A potential suspect (29-year-old AAM) was interviewed. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 11:11 a.m. Officers took a wanted subject/suspect (34-year-old WM) into custody on Wright St. The suspect was transported to jail.
6) CENTRAL: Conveyance – 12:41 p.m. Officers responded to N. Hancock St to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (25-year-old WF). The subject was transported to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health consulted. An emergency detention was not approved and the subject was released to go home. While at home, the subject proceeded to cut herself. The subject was taken into protective custody and transported back to the hospital where she was subsequently conveyed to Winnebago on an emergency detention order.
7) NORTH: Information/Child Abuse – 2:47 p.m. The father of a child (5-year-old WM) went to a district station to report allegations of child abuse. The child and his mother were interviewed. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto – 3:38 p.m. Officers responded to the 5700 block of Odana Rd for a report of a one-vehicle crash with the four occupants fleeing. The four occupants were apprehended and subsequently arrested (multiple charges included operating a motor vehicle without consent, resisting, bail jumping, trespass to dwelling and eluding. Suspects: 17-year-old AAM, 17-year-old AAM, 16-year-old AAM and 15-year-old AAF. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Strong Arm Robbery – 3:59 p.m. Officers responded to Beld St for a report of a subject/suspect (64-year-old HM) with a knife. The suspect grabbed the victim (57-year-old HM) and took his phone/jewelry. The victim reported that the suspect typically carries a knife but he did not see one in this incident. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Officers attempted to locate the suspect. The suspect is at-large. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Weapons Offense – 4:05 p.m. Officers responded to the 6300 block of Alison Lane reference a man (AAM) with a gun. The victim (46-year-old AAF) was driving when she observed a male subject/suspect in the middle of the road. The victim honked the horn at the suspect. The suspect began yelling at the victim, retrieved a handgun, pointed it at the victim and threatened her. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 8:02 p.m. Officers responded to the McDonald's on Dryden Dr for a verbal altercation that occurred in the drive-through. The suspect (38-year-old AAF) left briefly but returned and started a physical altercation with the victim (15-year-old AAM). The victim sustained visible injuries. The suspect's son (17-year-old AAM) also participated in the fight. Both suspects were arrested and conveyed to jail. The female suspect was charged with physical abuse to a child. The male suspect was charged with disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 9:18 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (14-year-old AAF). The juvenile was on a home detention program with rules to have no visitors. Her coordinator went by the home and observed the juvenile with two male visitors; a violation for which the juvenile has been counseled on previous occasions. When the juvenile's mother came home, she saw the males running out the door and her daughter was not found home. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was listed as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
13) SOUTH: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 9:39 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (16-year-old WF). The juvenile has a history of running away. The juvenile was located by Janesville PD. The juvenile's foster parent went to retrieve her.
14) CENTRAL: Drug Incident/Overdose – 11:13 p.m. Officers responded, along with MFD, to E. Main St for two subjects (20-year-old WF and 20-year-old AAM) experiencing overdoses. MFD administered Naloxone to both subjects. The two subjects were conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Probable cause was established for the female subject for possession of a schedule II narcotic and a probation hold. No charges were substantiated for the male subject. Investigation continuing.
15) NORTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 12:03 a.m. Officers responded to Melody Lane for a subject (30-year-old WM) experiencing an overdose. An officer administered Naloxone and gave CCR to the subject. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. He was cited for possession of heroin. The subject's companion (32-year-old WM) was charged with delivery of heroin (party to a crime) and booked into jail. Investigation continuing.
16) MIDTOWN: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 1:34 a.m. Officers responded to S. Park St for a disturbance that occurred between two subjects (48-year-old AAF victim and 23-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect approached the victim, asked her a question, pulled out some sort of object and proceeded to strike her in the head. The victim required 14 stitches at a local hospital. The suspect is known to the victim and is at-large. Once located, the suspect will be charged with substantial battery, disorderly conduct and misdemeanor bail jumping (two counts). Investigation continuing.
17) CENTRAL: Assist MFD/Arson – 1:52 a.m. Officers responded to assist MFD with a fire on W. Washington Ave (garbage can exploded). MFD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.