From 5:30 a.m. on 03/16/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 03/17/2018, MPD received 498 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) SOUTH: Traffic Incident – 5:40 a.m. Officers responded to S. Park St/Hughes Place regarding a vehicle/pedestrian crash. The pedestrian (38 year old WF) was attempting to cross the street when a driver struck her. The pedestrian was transported to a local hospital. The driver remained on scene, was cooperative and was not issued any citations at this time. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Animal Bite – 8:34 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence where a child (3 years old) was bit by a dog. The child was medically treated on scene by EMS/MFD. Animal Control contacted. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Sexual Assault of a Child – 9:01 a.m. A victim (9 year old child) reported being sexually assaulted by her mother's boyfriend (whom she is no longer with) several years ago. The suspect was identified as a 27 year old WM. Child Protective Services notified. Investigation continuing.
4) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 11:51 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital to assist with a patient (47 year old WF) refusing to get off of the EMS cot and onto the hospital bed. Officers did convince her to transfer beds so ambulance staff could leave. The suspect verbally threatened hospital staff members and was uncooperative with their efforts to try to provide her medical treatment. The suspect was placed under arrest for disorderly conduct and trespassing to a medical facility and was conveyed to jail. MPD is working with Journey Mental Health for this subject.
5) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 2:01 p.m. Officers responded to a domestic disturbance on the south side. The victim (47 year old WF) and suspect (22 year old FW), who are mother/daughter, were engaged in a verbal argument. Victim was holding infant grandson at the time of the argument when the disturbance became physical. During the physical confrontation, the infant was injured. Child Protective Services (CPS) responded to assess the situation and infant was placed with his grandfather for the evening. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail on one count of domestic battery.
6) CENTRAL: Drug Incident Overdose – 2:54 p.m. Officers responded to a report of an unconscious male and unresponsive to the caller's attempts to enter his apartment. EMS personnel administered naloxone to a 26 year old WM which subsequently brought the subject back to a semi-responsive state. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for medical treatment. Officers developed probable cause to charge the individual for possession of drugs and drug paraphernalia. The suspect also has an active probation violation warrant from another county. Hospital authorities were advised to contact MPD when medically cleared.
7) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 3:06 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a male panhandling, in violation of the city's median safety ordinance, at the eastbound exit to the beltline at Mineral Point Road. Upon arrival, officers located the 47 year old WM suspect, who is a chronic offender of the median safety ordinance. The suspect was arrested for the ordinance violation. During transport to the jail, the suspect deliberately banged his head on the safety glass several times. Officers then diverted to a local hospital where the subject was treated for his injuries. The suspect was then conveyed to the jail.
8) CENTRAL: Crash with Injuries – 4:24 p.m. MPD responded to a three-vehicle crash at the intersection of East Johnson Street and Marston Avenue which was caused by an 87 year old WM driver rear ending the vehicle in front of him, which then crashed into the vehicle ahead of it. The at-fault driver was cited for failure to maintain control and a Driver Condition Report was submitted to DOT for further evaluation of the driver's abilities to operate a motor vehicle. The at-fault driver and one of the victim drivers were transported to a local hospital with non-life threatening injuries. Traffic was affected from 4:25 p.m. to 5:35 p.m.
9) WEST: Juvenile Arrest – 5:31 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a student/victim (12 year old WF) who received a threatening SnapChat message from a fellow student. MMSD Security Director called in a subsequent victim as he started getting notifications of this post from concerned parents. The suspect (13 year old WM) was contacted and claimed the post was "a joke." The suspect was arrested for one count of unauthorized use of computerized device and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center (JRC).
10) SOUTH: Sexual Assault – 5:35 p.m. MPD responded to Lakepoint Drive for report of a sexual assault. The victim (21 year old WF) and suspect (AM in his 20's), who have communicated with each other only through Google, met at an unknown location and began drinking vodka. The victim indicated unwanted sexual activity occurred thereafter. Investigation continuing.
11) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 8:14 p.m. MPD officers responded to a report of a person with a gun near North Eau Claire Avenue. Prior to this, the suspect (47 year old AAM) was in the North Face store of Hilldale Mall where he was recognized from prior theft activity. Security contacted the suspect and the suspect became uncooperative, acted like he had a weapon, and said he was going to shoot the security guard (19 year old UF). Officers arrived and contacted the suspect, who was hiding in the bushes. The suspect then claimed he was having a heart attack and was transferred by EMS to a local hospital. The suspect will be charged with intimidation of a witness, retail theft, disorderly conduct and possession of paraphernalia, along with several warrants and outstanding PC.
12) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault – 9:28 p.m. Hospital staff contacted police because they were concerned about a 31 year old AAF cognitively disabled patient who may have been sexually assaulted. Investigation continuing.
13) MIDTOWN: Residential Burglary – 10:00 p.m. Officers responded to the 1300 block of Milton Street. A witness reported seeing the suspect (47 year old WM) trying to enter a neighbor's residence. When confronted, the suspect tried to flee but the witness followed him until police arrived. The suspect was charged with criminal trespass to dwelling and a PO hold.
14) SOUTH: Assist EMS/Fire – 12:23 a.m. Officers responded to Ardmore Drive for a 24 year old AM who was found unconscious at the bottom of some stairs. The victim was transported to a local hospital for treatment. Investigation continuing.
15) EAST: Sexual Assault – 1:25 a.m. MPD was contacted regarding a sexual assault that occurred at a motel on East Washington Avenue. The victim (18 year old AAF) reported the suspect (AAM in late 30's to early 40's) sexually assaulted her and then drove her to State Street where she was dropped off. The victim went to a local hospital for a forensic nurse examination (FNE). Investigation continuing.
16) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 2:15 a.m. MPD responded to Maher Avenue for a report of a domestic disturbance. Officers learned there had been a domestic disturbance between the suspect (37 year old WF) and the victim (48 year old WM). The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.