The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 11/16/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 11/17/2018, MPD received 504 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 504 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (108), East (110), Midtown (69), North (62), South (51), West (66), and Other (38). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority Call Status City Wide 1:50am-3:31am and again from 4:44am-6:00am due to numerous priority calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 8:51 a.m. Officers responded to N. Ingersoll St for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (18-year-old WF victim and 19-year-old AAM suspect). The victim and suspect got into a verbal argument which escalated. The victim reported that the suspect threw her to the ground a couple of times. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
2) WEST: Battery/Attempted Retail Theft – 11:06 a.m. Officers responded to a retail store at West Towne Mall for a suspect (AAF) committing a retail theft. When store employees approached the suspect, an argument ensued. A store employee/victim (53-year-old UM) was hit by the suspect and sustained a swollen lip. The suspect fled and is at-large. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Check Person – 12:11 p.m. Officers responded to E. Washington Ave to check the welfare of a subject (46-year-old WF). It was reported that the subject was sitting in a vehicle screaming for help. The subject was contacted and placed into protective custody. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation.
4) EAST: Disturbance – 3:44 pm. The LaFollette High School Educational Resource Officer was outside monitoring students when a suspect (30-year-old AAF) began yelling threats from the street at school staff. The suspect's daughter (14-year-old AAF) threw a water bottle at a group of students in front of the school and then fled with her mother in a vehicle. Officers performed a traffic stop on the vehicle and while officers attempted to detain the suspects, an additional passenger/suspect (16-year-old AAF) was arrested for interfering. The 30-year-old suspect was conveyed to the DCJ while the teenagers were cited for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Death Investigation – 4:29 pm. A 68-year-old WM is found not breathing by family members. Decedent has a history of medical issues. Nothing suspicious found on scene. Medical Examiner responded.
6) EAST: Crash/OMVWI Arrest – 5:21 pm. Madison Fire Dept responded to a three-car crash at Cottage Grove Rd and Sprecher Rd. One driver/suspect (64-year-old WF) was arrested for OMVWI 3rd offense.
7) EAST: Armed Robbery – 7:05 pm. An employee standing outside the BP gas station at 4624 Monona Dr was approached by an AAM suspect wearing a black ski mask. The suspect entered the store and fled with the cash drawer. A K9 track was attempted but the suspect remains at large. Investigation continuing. An incident report was completed on the MPD website.
8) CENTRAL: Information – 8:13 pm. Officers were dispatched to the area of State St and N Henry St (near the Overture Center) regarding a suspicious bag. Police investigated a suitcase padlocked to a bike rack and found nothing suspicious or threatening. An incident report was completed on the MPD website.
9) CENTRAL: OMVWI Arrest – 9:04 pm. Officers were dispatched to the intersection of S Bedford St and W Main St regarding a vehicle crash. The suspect (50-year-old WF) failed to maintain control of her vehicle and crashed into a parked car, which forced that parked car into a second parked car. The suspect was arrested for OMVWI-1st offense. Investigation continuing.
10) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 12:55 am. Officers were dispatched to Spring St regarding a harassment complaint. The victim (23-year-old WF) reported that her ex-boyfriend (28-year-old WM) was harassing her via phone. Investigation continuing.
11) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense – 12:56 am. Officers were dispatched to 516 S Park St (The Rustic Tavern) regarding a weapons offense. The suspect (31-year-old AAM) and victim (40-year-old AAM) made contact in the parking lot, whereupon the suspect slapped the victim in the face and pointed a handgun at him and his girlfriend, who had gotten between the two men. Officers arrested the suspect and booked him into the Dane County Jail on charges of 2nd Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety, Felon in Possession of a Firearm, Battery, Disorderly Conduct While Armed, and Bail Jumping. An incident report was completed on the MPD website. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Crash/OMVWI Arrest – 1:47 am. Officers were dispatched to Hwy 30 at N Thompson Dr regarding a rollover crash. The driver/suspect (30-year-old AAF) was the sole occupant of the vehicle and did not sustain serious injuries. The suspect was arrested for OMVWI-1st offense, Operating while Suspended and Failure to Maintain Control. Investigation continuing.
13) EAST: OMVWI Arrest – 2:14 am. Officers were dispatched to S Stoughton Rd and US Hwy 12 regarding a man passed out in a vehicle at that intersection. The suspect (19-year-old AM) was arrested for OMVWI-1st offense. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Crash – 4:41 am. Officers responded to the area of 5515 Medical Circle regarding a rollover crash with one person pinned inside the vehicle. Officers arrived and determined there were no apparent injuries and the driver (and sole occupant) was extricated from the vehicle. Investigation continuing.