The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:30 a.m. on 05/11/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 05/12/2018, MPD received 428 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
1) CENTRAL: Trespass – 6:12 a.m. Officers responded to West Wilson Street for a fight in progress. Upon arrival, officers contacted a 23-year-old WM suspect on the porch of a 31-year-old WM victim. The suspect was intoxicated and verbally aggressive. The victim was asleep in his apartment when he woke up to the suspect who had entered his apartment. The suspect was arrested and taken to jail for criminal trespass.
2) CENTRAL: Missing Adult – 11:26 a.m. Officers responded to West Main Street after a son reported his 76-year-old AAM father had wandered off from his residence. The subject had a recent heart attack and has dementia. After approximately one hour, the subject was located.
3) MIDTOWN: Disturbance/Possible Weapons Offense – 11:46 a.m. MPD West Education Resource Officer (ERO) received information that a 16-year-old AAM student may have been in possession of a weapon. Contact was attempted but the student fled. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 12:35 p.m. A 22-year-old WM suspect was observed outside East Towne Mall by officers. There was probable cause for the suspect's arrest for theft. As officers attempted contact with the suspect, he took off on foot. The suspect was chased down, resisted arrest, but eventually taken into custody. He was transported to jail on the theft charge and resisting/obstructing.
5) WEST: Weapons Offense – 1:44 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a report of a weapon being brandished during a funeral at Sunset Memorial Cemetery. Apparently, someone from this small gathering of mourners fired one shot into the air and then pointed the gun randomly at others before fleeing in a car. Parties are all known to one another and this is not a random act of violence. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 3:24 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a residential neighborhood on the east side reference a report of a 34-year-old WM attacking his 67-year-old WM father. The suspect appeared to be affected by some kind of drug. He began attacking his father and during the attack attempted to strangle his father with a belt. The son continued the attack while the father was attempting to contact 911. The suspect was arrested for domestic charges of 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety, disorderly conduct and intimidation of a victim and transported to jail.
7) SOUTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 4:42 p.m. Officers responded to an address on the south side after a husband reported arriving home to find a suicide note drafted by his wife (54-year-old WF). The wife/subject was groggy and unresponsive. MFD transported the subject to the hospital for medical treatment. Emergency detention paperwork has been completed, if needed.
8) EAST: Weapons Offense – 5:43 p.m. MPD responded to a residence on the east side for a 22-year-old AAM who came home with a visible laceration to his chest and a stab wound to one hand. The victim is not cooperating with the investigation. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault – 7:05 p.m. Officers were called to investigate a report of inappropriate touching that occurred in the 6100 block of Dominion Drive. The allegation originated from a 19-year-old HF and involves a 23-year-old AAM suspect who touched her without consent. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Missing Adult – 8:32 p.m. MPD responded to Farmington Way to investigate a report of a missing person from a group home. The missing/vulnerable person is a 20-year-old WF. Attempt to locate was aired and the subject has been entered as missing/endangered.
11) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 2:02 a.m. Central Downtown Safety Initiative (DSI) officers observed a 23-year-old AAM subject in the roadway on West Johnson Street trying to fight a group of people, yelling, and causing a disturbance. The suspect was arrested for municipal disorderly conduct and was taken to the Dane County Jail.
12) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 2:22 a.m. Central officers and a sergeant were called to Plan B on Williamson Street as staff had called in to report a male and female outside with a small child and there were concerns about drug usage. Officers responded and contacted the suspect (38-year-old WM), a 33-year-old WF subject, and their 13-month-old WM son. Subsequent investigation reflected that Probation and Parole was contacted and a hold was placed on the suspect. Investigating officers are also pursuing a possible charge of child neglect. Investigation continuing.