The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/17/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/18/2018, MPD received 604 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 604 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (148), East (114), Midtown (91), North (73), South (53), West (74), and Other (51). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) SOUTH: Check Suicidal Person/Intoxicated Person - 12:12 pm. The family of a 38 year old WM subject reported that he was suicidal and had been drinking heavily. Officers arrived and made an assessment as to incapacitation for detox. Mental health issues will have to defer until alcohol on board is stabilized. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Child Abuse - 1:10 pm. A 14 year old WF reported that her mother, a 36 year old WF, punched her in the chest after she called her mother names while driving their car somewhere on the north side of town. The suspect admitted to punching her daughter. The victim was released to her father and the suspect was cited for a future court date. Child Protective Services was notified. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Bank Robbery - 2:19 pm. Associated Bank on W Broadway was robbed by a suspect described as a 25 year old WM wearing a black hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and sunglasses. The suspect was last seen running toward Lake Point Dr. MPD responded and a press release was completed.
4) SOUTH: Arrested Person - 5:02 pm. The victim (21 year old HF) called dispatch because she was fearful that she was being followed by her ex-boyfriend (22 year old HM). The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
5) NORTH: OMVWI - 5:57 pm. Officers came across the suspect (41 year old WM) whose vehicle was blocking two inbound lanes of traffic on E. Washington Ave. The suspect had his two children in the car who were both under the age of 2. The suspect was arrested for 5th offense OMVWI. The suspect's children were left with their mother.
6) EAST: Death Investigation - 6:24 pm. The decedent (73 year old WM) was on the phone with his sister at 6:00 pm and they made plans for his sister to come over. When the suspect's sister arrived she could not get him on the phone. The sister made it to the apartment building and was let into the building by another tenant. The decedent was found on the floor outside of his apartment. Officers attempted CCR but were unsuccessful. The decedent had several medical issues and was under palliative care. Nothing suspicious at this time. Medical examiner notified. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Road Rage - 7:56 pm. The victim (26 year old AAM) was stopped on E. Washington Ave. at Ingersoll St. As he went through the light, the vehicle behind him was following too closely so the victim tapped his vehicle's brakes. The victim said the driver of the truck (30 year old WM) waved a gun outside of the window and continued on. A license plate number was obtained and contact was attempted at the registered owner's address but it is not current. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Battery/Disturbance – 8:42 pm. The victim (58 year old AAM) was outside on the rear stoop of his residence on Cottage Grove Road when three AAM teenagers approached him and an argument ensued. One of the suspects was observed screaming profanities and using threatening language towards the victim. This suspect was cited for disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Sex Offense – 9:17 pm. Customers at Marshalls (East Towne) alerted the manager that there was a naked male outside the store. When MPD arrived, the suspect (38 year old WM) was spotted, still nude and holding his clothes. When confronted, he took off running but stopped after a short pursuit. The suspect was booked for lewd and lascivious behavior based on witness accounts.
10) MIDTOWN: Check Person/Arrested Person – 9:25 pm. The family of a subject (21 year old WM) called because he became very intoxicated while out with friends and started making suicidal statements. His friends noticed he had fresh cuts on his arms. The subject ran away from his friends but was located later by MPD and placed into protective custody. The subject was transported to a local hospital. Once medically cleared, he was placed in a squad for transport to Detox. Once inside the squad, he began fighting officers. An officer sustained an injury during the fight. The subject was taken to the Dane County Jail on charges of resisting arrest and battery to a police officer.
11) EAST: Burglary/Recovered Stolen Auto – 11:18 pm The victim (43 year old HM) called to report that his vehicle had been stolen out of his possibly open garage. He had kept the key fob in the center console of the car. The vehicle was seen traveling at a high rate of speed near N. Thompson/Commercial around 11:30 pm. The victim had a tracking device on the car and it was reported that the car had stopped at the BP gas station at 4222 E. Washington Ave at 12:41 am. The car was found unoccupied on Daffodil Ln after being observed driving with no lights on in that area (several MPD units were nearby at the time). A K9 track was attempted but was unsuccessful. Investigation continuing.
12) SOUTH: Missing Juvenile – 11:23 pm. The juvenile was last seen around 9pm at the Dane Dances at Monona Terrace. This juvenile has a history of self harm (cutting) and is on anti-depressant medication. She also has a history of running away. An ATL was aired and she was entered into NCIC.
13) NORTH: Shots Fired – 12:54 am. Dispatch received multiple calls for shots fired in the 3500 block of Kipling Drive. A canvass yielded eight 9mm casings in the driveway that goes between a single family house and an apartment building on Browning Rd. No damage or injuries reported or found. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Stabbing – 1:36 am. Officers were called to the Red Rock Saloon for a report of a stabbing. The victim (21 year old WM) is intoxicated and has a single stab wound to his right shoulder. He is transported to a local hospital. The victim does not know how he came to be stabbed. His brother was with him and reported no issues with anyone at the Red Rock. The victim stated he was at the bar ordering a drink when he realized the back of his shirt was wet, and discovered he had been stabbed. Officers review surveillance video and no incident is observed. The victim can be seen leaving the bar and he appears fine. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
15) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault/Robbery – 2:17 am. MPD was dispatched to meet with the victim (43 year old HF) who stated that she had been sexually assaulted. It would appear that the suspect, described as an AAM, entered her residence through an unlocked window. The suspect demanded money and then sexually assaulted the victim. The suspect stole cash, the victim's phone and her debit card. The victim was taken to a local hospital for a forensic nurse exam. Investigation continuing.