From 5:30 a.m. on 12/16/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 12/17/2017, MPD received 383 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
1) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 6:07 a.m. Officers responded to a residence in the 5500 block of Esther Beach Road for report of an unresponsive male, possible pulseless non-breathing. Caller reported her boyfriend (62 year old WM) was not responding. CCR started. Officers and MFD arrive and confirm male deceased. Deceased had multiple significant health issues. No concerning circumstances were noted at the scene. His death appears medically related. ME on scene and reported no concerns.
2) EAST: Death Investigation – 10:39 a.m. Officers responded to Microtel Inn & Suites on East Springs Drive for report of a subject found deceased in his room. Deceased (41 year old WM) was located by hotel staff upon receiving notification from decedent's coworkers that he had not shown for work. Deceased had significant health issues, and had not been well recently. Nothing suspicious was noted in the room. No indication of drug use or violence. ME on scene.
3) WEST: Sexual Assault – 11:09 a.m. Officers responded to a residence on Morraine View Drive for a reported sexual assault. Victim is a 22 year old AAF. Victim was transported to a local hospital for a forensic nurse examination (FNE). Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Weapons Offense – 12:19 p.m. MPD responded to the 3000 block of Darbo Drive for two people fighting with knives inside a residence. When officers arrived, it was learned that a 19 year old AAF was cooking lunch for her children in the kitchen when she began arguing with a 24 year old AAM who was yelling at her children. The female was holding a knife while making food when the argument ensued. A 23 year old AAM, who was also in the apartment, intervened and separated the two engaged in the argument. No probable cause was established and the 24 year old AAM male agreed to leave the residence for the night.
5) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 2:16 p.m. MPD responded to the area of Todd Drive at McDivitt Road for reports of an AAF attempting to stab a HM. Officers arrived on scene and detained a 19 year old AAF who was unarmed. A pair of scissors was located near the detained female. A 21 year old HM was also detained on scene. During the course of the investigation, it was learned that the female and male were previously in a domestic relationship. They were both in attendance at a party in the Manor Drive area and an argument ensued. Subsequent investigation resulted in charges for both individuals. The female was charged with domestic-related charges for disorderly conduct while armed, disorderly conduct and 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety. The male was charged with domestic-related charges of battery and criminal damage to property. Both were taken to jail. A press release was completed.
6) WEST: Missing Adult – 5:51 p.m. MPD responded to the 700 block of South Gammon Road investigating a missing person. A 57 year old WM with dementia walked away from the Little Caesar's Restaurant at 5:30 p.m. He was last seen wearing a green overcoat, blue jeans, and tennis shoes. District Command was notified. A media release with photograph of the subject was completed. A K-9 track was conducted and the subject was located and was unharmed.
7) EAST: Theft – 6:21 p.m. MPD was dispatched to the 1700 block of Thierer Road for what was originally described as an armed robbery in which two suspects fled the area in a yellow Jeep. A license plate was provided and officers located the vehicle and conducted a high risk traffic stop on East Washington Avenue near Webb Avenue. An 18 year old AAM and a 21 year old WF were taken into custody without incident. It was later learned that the incident was actually a theft, with the AAM taking the tip jar out of a business and fleeing. He was cited and released. The WF was arrested in separate charges stemming from another incident and she was taken to jail.
8) SOUTH: OMVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 6:46 p.m. MPD responded to West Wingra Drive at South Park Street for a two vehicle crash with injuries. Once on scene, it was learned that a 50 year old WM was operating his vehicle eastbound on Wingra Drive. This male had a red traffic signal at the intersection of South Park Street and did not obey the signal. His vehicle collided with another vehicle traveling north on South Park Street, operated by a 28 year old WF (who is pregnant). The male admitted to consuming "several beers" with the last being consumed 30 minutes prior to the crash. He refused to perform field sobriety testing and was arrested on 3rd offense OMVWI. His license status is revoked and he was also operating a vehicle registered to him without the required ignition interlock device. His breath alcohol registered a .15. The female driver was transported to a local hospital for minor medical injuries. Press release was completed.
9) WEST: Disorderly Conduct – 7:42 p.m. MPD responded to the area of East Valley Ridge Drive for several callers reporting a naked WM running through back yards. A 54 year old WM was contacted and detained by police without incident. The subject reported to consuming crack cocaine and had to flee his home quickly, without clothing, because he believed a bomb was in his home. He is an active sex offender registrant with a GPS bracelet. He was taken for a medical clearance and cited. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Assist Dane County Sheriff – 8:46 p.m. MPD responded to the Target on Lien Road at the request of the Dane County Sheriff's Department for emergency backup. A deputy had pulled over a vehicle in which the female operator initially cooperated. However, she later fled from the scene. Madison Police Department arrived and was dealing with a resisting subject who attempted to run into Target before being taken into custody. The county then completed processing of this individual.
11) CENTRAL: Substantial Battery – 11:24 p.m. Male victim (54 year old AAM) said two men ran up on him from behind, knocked him down and battered him. He then walked to upper State Street where he flagged down MPD officers. He was transported to the hospital. Injuries included stitches above his eye and a fractured orbital bone. No suspect information was provided. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Sexual Assault – 3:45 a.m. Unknown female showed up at caller's door around 3:45 a.m. crying. Female (19 year old WF) told the officer that she was at a bar, met a WM and was sexually assaulted in his car at an unknown location. Victim was conveyed to the hospital, a statement was taken, and investigation is continuing.