From 5:30 a.m. on 02/17/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 02/18/2018, MPD received 349 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown.
**Priority Calls city-wide from 1:30 a.m. to 3:45 a.m. due to call volume and resource intensive calls. Two officers also made a transport to Winnebago during overnight hours.**
Certain calls have recurrent themes in terms of time and labor intensity. For example, when individuals are taken for an evaluation due to a mental health issue or episodic break, MPD does an extensive collaboration with Journey Mental Health in determining the least restrictive option. These are always two officer calls and can routinely last between 5-8 hours (or more). Emergency Detention conveyances are taken to the Winnebago Mental Health Hospital in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. This is a five hour round-trip, including intake, that takes two officers out of our community and creates challenges for us as we attempt to service calls.
1) WEST: Sexual Assault – 5:29 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the Kwik Trip, located at 3153 Maple Grove Dr, for a report of a woman lying in the street. The victim, (21 year old WF) was in and out of consciousness, crying, and thought she had been drugged. The victim was transported to a local hospital for her injuries and a forensic nurse examination (FNE). Once medically stabilized, it appeared the victim had been sexually assaulted and battered in downtown Madison, prior to being dumped outside by herself. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 7:34 a.m. MPD was dispatched to the 100 block of W Gilman St for the report of a stolen auto. The victim, a 28 year old WF, reported that her vehicle was stolen between 11:45pm and 7am. The victim believed that the vehicle was unlocked at the time. The vehicle was later located in the 1900 block of S Park St at 9:07am. The driver and front seat passenger fled; however, two occupants remained in the vehicle, a 16 year old HM and a 17 year old AM. The juveniles would not give information on the identity of the driver and front passenger who fled. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Death Investigation – 11:32 a.m. Officers responded to a residential West side address regarding a man with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Medical Examiner was notified and investigation is continuing.
4) EAST: Juvenile Arrest – 2:03 p.m. MPD officers responded to a residential neighborhood on the East side for a report of a 12 year old juvenile daughter hitting mom (46 year old WF) and threatening to stab dad (58 year old WM). When officers arrived, they learned that parents were trying to take their daughter's cell phone away for disciplinary reasons, and she subsequently became physically violent. The juvenile was arrested for disorderly conduct while armed and battery.
5) EAST: Child Abuse – 3:52 p.m. Officers were sent to a local hospital regarding an ER referral. Physicians at the scene were questioning suspicious injuries presented on a 9 month old infant. Child Protective Services (CPS) and MPD obtained a statement from mom, who is cooperating fully in the investigation. No probable cause to substantiate any charges at this time. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Disturbance – 3:57 p.m. MPD officers responded to a report of a disturbance at East Towne Mall. Upon arrival, the disturbance was abated and statements were obtained that were in conflict with one another. Mall video footage will be reviewed. It would appear that the two principal participants were an 18 year old AAF and a 19 year old AAF. Investigation continuing.
7) MIDTOWN: Conveyance-Mental Health – 3:59 p.m. MPD officers responded to a local hospital for a patient (25 year old WM) who was making suicidal statements. This subject was subsequently transported under an emergency detention petition to Winnebago at 11:30pm.
8) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 6:35 p.m. MPD officers responded to Kohl's, located at 2602 East Springs Dr, for a retail theft suspect in the custody of Kohl's loss prevention. A 17 year old AAF suspect lied to the police about her identity and also attempted to hide stolen merchandise in the loss prevention office, prior to police arrival. The suspect was issued a municipal retail theft citation, as well as an obstructing citation.
9) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 8:35 p.m. Officers were called for a stolen vehicle that was taken from a driveway in the 5000 block of Trafalger Place. The vehicle was left running and unattended. No suspect or direction of travel for this stolen vehicle. ATL aired and databases were entered.
10) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 8:52 p.m. Officers were called to a reported domestic disturbance in the 2400 block of Monterey Dr. A 22 year old WM was arrested for threatening his mother and another resident at the house. This suspect had a knife at one point and was intoxicated. Officers were able to safely make contact and take the suspect into custody. The 22 year old was charged with two counts of disorderly conduct while armed and taken to jail.
11) CENTRAL: Trespass – 10:07 p.m. Officers were called to the 800 block of E Washington Ave for a report of multiple people inside a construction site of a new building. In total, four juveniles were ultimately contacted (three 15 year olds and one 14 year old) who were subsequently charged with municipal trespassing and released.
12) WEST: Burglary-Residential – 11:15 p.m. Officers were called for a residential burglary on Prairie Rd. The caller was checking on his brother's residence while the homeowner was on vacation and found the door kicked in between the garage/residence. It is believed this occurred between 2pm and 11pm on 2/17. At this time it is unknown what was taken but the entire house is in disarray and some money may be missing.
13) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 10:54 p.m. Officers were called along with Madison Fire/Rescue to Williamson St for a female who was found to be unresponsive in a residence. A 33 year old WF was reportedly found by her 29 year old WM boyfriend when he came home. Evidence on the scene reflects a potential drug overdose. The residence has been sealed for evidentiary processing. The boyfriend was taken to jail on a parole hold. Medical Examiner's Office notified. Investigation continuing.
14) WEST: Accident with Injuries – 12:24 a.m. Officers responded to an injury crash at McKee Rd and Maple Grove Rd. Two people reported possible neck/back injuries and were transported to a local hospital. The 41 year old MU driver of one of the vehicles was subsequently arrested for OMVWI. Investigation continuing.
15) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 12:42 a.m. MFD was originally called for an infant that reportedly fell and was lapsing in and out of consciousness. MPD was then requested to respond due to some type of disturbance also occurring. Investigation at the scene reflected that a 19 year old AAM and a 19 year old AAF have a 3 month old infant in common. It appears that as the two adult parents were pushing each other, the child may have fallen to the ground from a child seat on a table. The infant was taken to a local hospital for observation as a precautionary measure, with the 19 year old mother. The 19 year old father left prior to police arrival and refused to return to this location to provide a statement. There will be an outstanding domestic related charge for this male and investigation is continuing.
16) CENTRAL: Robbery-Strong Armed – 2:42 a.m. Officers were called to the 700 block of E Washington Ave for a strong armed robbery. A 24 year old WM reported that his cash/phone were taken from an AAM suspect, 20 to 30 years old. No injuries were reported in this incident. Subsequently, the suspect was later contacted and arrested. The suspect was identified as a 26 year old AAM who was taken to Dane County Jail. Investigation continuing.