Yesterday, we saw an uptick in stolen autos yet again in our City (9 stolen autos in a 24-hour period). We urge everyone to lock their vehicles (whether in a garage, in a driveway, on a street, in a parking lot etc.). Do not leave valuables in plain sight and do NOT store guns in your vehicle.
In June (2018) we took 38 reports of stolen autos; 32 of these vehicles have since been recovered. In June (2017), there were 27 reports of stolen autos; thus last month we saw a 41% increase.
Of the 38 vehicles stolen, 36 had keys inside of them! It was also noted that 2 of the stolen vehicles were left unlocked, unoccupied and running.
Where did the auto thefts occur per district in June?
- West: 20
- South: 3
- Central: 1
- North: 4
- Midtown: 6
- East: 4
We have had 201 stolen autos already this year. Last year, at this time, we had 169, so we are up 18.9%.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 07/05/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 07/06/2018, MPD received 553 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 553 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (112), East (99), Midtown (74), North (74), South (62), West (77), and Other (55). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
*Priority calls only from 9:30pm-10:35pm due to calls for service.
1) WEST: Stolen Auto – 6:50 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a stolen auto. The auto was left unlocked and the keys were left inside of it. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Stolen Auto – 7:02 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a stolen auto. The keys for this vehicle were in another vehicle in the garage. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 8:56 a.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a report of a stolen auto. The auto was left unlocked and the keys were left inside of it. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Residential Burglary – 10:31 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence where the caller/resident found several juveniles in her garage attempting to steal things. Witnesses observed the juveniles flee in a vehicle (suspected to be stolen from earlier in the day). An officer observed suspects matching the description near West Towne Mall and detained them (3 suspects, all AAMs, ages 14, 13 and 15-years-old. The suspects were all found to either be runaways or violating court-ordered rules. All three juveniles were conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center. Charges forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Information/Child Abuse – 1:38 p.m. Officers responded, at the request of Child Protective Services, to an east side facility where a non-verbal juvenile was being cared for. A witness reportedly observed the juvenile being abused by a caretaker/suspect. The child's caseworker responded to assist as well. Charges have not been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Check Person – 4:00 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a 911 disconnect call where a female subject sounded very panicked on the line. A male subject came onto the line and once he found out it was 911, he hung up. Attempts to call back the line went unanswered. Officers responded and entry was made to the home to check the welfare of the subjects. Officers located a male subject (32-year-old MEM) having some kind of psychotic/manic episode, possibly under the influence of drugs/alcohol and not making sense. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Stolen Auto – 4:36 p.m. Officers responded to the East Towne Mall parking lot as witnesses observed several juveniles checking vehicles and acting suspicious. A vehicle was observed leaving the lot and subsequently reported stolen. The registered owner was contacted and they had the only set of keys to the vehicle. Suspects at-large. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Information/Battery – 4:39 p.m. Officers responded to N. Sixth St for a report of a male subject bleeding from the head and reporting he had been "jumped". MPD, along with MFD, contacted the subject (48-year-old WM) who had visible injuries. The subject was found to be intoxicated (BAC of .349) and very uncooperative with police. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment. The subject was determined to have a broken jaw. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Theft – 6:28 p.m. Officers responded to Walmart on Watts Rd where a suspect (AAM) took cash from the till and fled. K9 track completed. Suspect-at-large. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Traffic Complaint/Investigation – 9:17 p.m. An officer observed a vehicle believed to be operated by a wanted subject (20-year-old WM) on Johnson St at Broom St. The officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop but the driver/vehicle fled. The officer did not pursue. Investigation continuing. *The subject is wanted for disorderly conduct while armed from a previous incident.
11) CENTRAL: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 9:23 p.m. Officers received a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (12-year-old AAF). Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was entered as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 9:51 p.m. Officers responded to Wisconsin Ave/Gilman where the caller/complainant reported a driver shot either a gun or fireworks out of his car as it was moving. No damage or injuries were located/reported. The suspect driver was not on scene. Investigation continuing. **Same vehicle description as above in #10; probably related as well to entry #14 below.
13) EAST: Trespass – 12:38 a.m. Officers responded to Milky Way where it was reported that two vehicles containing 6-8 males were seen going into a construction site. Officers arrived and several subjects were observed fleeing. Three subjects were detained (21-year-old WM, 19-year-old WM and 19-year-old WM). A perimeter was established and the area was cleared with the assistance of a K9. No other subjects were located. Officers contacted the registered owner of a vehicle that was on site and he did not know how the vehicle ended up where it was. The registered owner subsequently hung up and did not answer any other calls from officers. Charges forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 2:58 a.m. Officers were notified that a vehicle (same description as in #10 and #12 above) fled from Shorewood Hills PD. MPD spotted the vehicle with heavy damage jumping curbs at a high rate of speed. Officers did not pursue the vehicle but observed/watched the vehicle's direction of travel. The vehicle and driver/suspect (20-year-old WM) was located behind a building. The suspect was arrested. A search of the vehicle yielded two modified weapons, as well as knives. The suspect was charged with disorderly conduct while armed, eluding, 2nd degree reckless endangering safety, disorderly conduct, felony bail jumping and misdemeanor bail jumping. Investigation continuing. Collaboration currently taking place with UWPD and Shorewood Hills PD.