November stats are in – today we start with looking at Robberies where we saw a pretty significant increase.
In November (2018), our city experienced 24 reported robberies. This is a 71% increase from November of 2017 when we had 14 robberies. Through the end of November, we have had, year-to-date, 234 reported robberies. The average number of robberies over the past five years has been 212; thus we have seen a 10% increase this year.
Where in our city are the robberies occurring? –
- West: 6
- Midtown: 4
- South: 3
- Central: 2
- North: 2
- East: 7
What we know about these robberies –
46% occurred between 8p-3am
38% occurred on Fridays and Mondays
The provided stats are based upon the best data available at the time of publication.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/05/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/06/2018, MPD received 467 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 467 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (92), East (77), Midtown (57), North (88), South (58), West (63), and Other (32). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) NORTH: Battery – 7:36 a.m. Officers responded to a motel on Hayes Rd for two subjects/suspects (18-year-old WM and 18-year-old HF) causing a disturbance. While officers were investigating the incident, the female suspect started throwing and knocking things over in the lobby. The female was placed under arrest for disorderly conduct. The female resisted arrest and kicked an officer; she was subsequently charged with battery to a police officer and resisting. The male suspect attempted to intervene; he was arrested for resisting and possession of marijuana.
2) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 8:21 a.m. Officers responded to a report that a juvenile (10-year-old HM) had a box-cutter knife on a school bus and caused damage to the seat. Contact was made with the juvenile, bus driver, school and parent. No criminal charges were substantiated. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
3) MIDTOWN: Attempted Suicide – 9:14 a.m. Officers responded to a residence for a subject (48-year-old WM) who attempted to commit suicide by causing self-inflicting injuries. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital in critical condition. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Threats Complaint – 12:26 p.m. Officers responded to a restaurant on E. Washington Ave after the owner/victim (WM) was threatened by an AAM subject. Prior to being threatened, two other subjects (AAF and AAM) ate at the restaurant and left without paying their bill. The two subjects drove away from the restaurant. The same vehicle then returned to the restaurant, but with a different subject, who threatened to kill the owner. Plate information does not match the vehicle observed. The suspects all involved are at-large and are unidentified. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Drug Incident – 2:29 p.m. Officers were flagged down near Fairfield Place/Maywood St reference a female subject passed out on the sidewalk. Officers made contact with the subject/suspect (26-year-old WF) who was conscious and alert. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance and then to jail for outstanding warrants. She also had an unknown substance on her which may lead to additional charges. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Death Investigation – 3:49 p.m. Officers responded to Femrite Drive for a report of male subject passed out in a vehicle. Officers arrived on scene and pulled the subject (48-year-old WM) out of the vehicle and began lifesaving efforts. MFD arrived and took over emergency medical aid. The subject was not revived and was declared deceased at the scene. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Check Person – 3:49 p.m. Officers responded to Langdon St to check the welfare of a juvenile. The caller was concerned about a 14-year-old female in the area being with an older male that seemed "overly interested" in her. Officers made contact with the juvenile and the male subject who both denied knowing each other. The juvenile stated she was traveling to Minnesota from Chicago to visit her mother. Due to the juvenile being under the age of 18 and without a properly identified adult, she was not allowed on the bus. Child Protective Services notified. The juvenile was placed at a local youth shelter until a guardian could pick her up. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Juvenile Arrest – 5:40 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence regarding a disturbance between a juvenile/suspect (16-year-old WF) and her parents/victims (WM and WF). The suspect pushed and bit her dad. The suspect also attempted to push her mom down the stairs. The argument was over the mother finding her daughter with an e-cigarette. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and misdemeanor battery. The suspect was conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center.
9) WEST: Armed Robbery – 5:52 p.m. Officers responded to Schroeder Rd where the victim (34-year-old WM) reported being robbed at gunpoint. The suspects (AAMs) then stole the victim's vehicle, wallet and cell phone. The vehicle was later located on Tree Lane, unoccupied. No injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Information/Armed Robbery – 6:54 p.m. Officers responded to a report of an armed robbery on Williamson St near Few St. The victim (36-year-old WM) reported that the suspect (AAM) came up behind him and put a knife to his neck demanding money. The suspect took the victim's cash and apartment keys. There was a delay in this incident being reported. Investigation revealed that the suspect went to the victim's home, entered it and made a mess. The victim was not completely forthcoming with information to officers. Suspect-at large and was identified as a 41-year-old AAM. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 7:51 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence after the caller reported that her windows had been shot out. It was determined that three windows were damaged by BB's. No injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 11:08 p.m. Officers responded to a disturbance where a 15-year-old WM juvenile was described as "acting out." Officers and the family decided together that the best course of action would be for the juvenile to remain at home and meet with the juvenile's psychiatrist Thursday morning. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
13) NORTH: Check Person – 12:09 a.m. Officers responded to International Lane to check the welfare of a subject (55-year-old HF). There were some concerns from the subject's family on where she was going and whether she was having a mental health breakdown. The subject has a history of mental health concerns. The subject was contacted. No action by the police deemed necessary at this time.
14) SOUTH: Intoxicated Driver – 1:32 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a driver driving erratically. A traffic stop was conducted and the driver/suspect (44-year-old WF) was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (2nd offense). The suspect also had a pending warrant.