The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 5/19/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 5/20/2019, MPD received 387 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 387 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (70), East (71), Midtown (56), North (70), South (41), West (56), and Other (23). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 5:58 a.m. Officers were dispatched for reports of a disturbance near Jenifer St and Baldwin St. Witnesses observed a visibly shaken up subject (24-year-old WF) exit a vehicle and engage in a verbal altercation with the driver (AAM). Apparently the WF subject had jumped out of the vehicle in a suicide attempt. The subject was transported to a local hospital for her injuries and a mental health evaluation. Journey Mental Health was looped in. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Check Person – Central – 8:30 a.m. Officers were dispatched to check the welfare of a subject (19-year-old WF) who reported suicidal sentiments to a friend. Officers met with the subject and she agreed to be taken to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health and social workers were looped in for assistance. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Check Person – 12:10 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on the south side after a subject (67-year-old WM) suffering from un-medicated paranoid schizophrenia called 911 several times. Upon contact, the subject left his apartment and was taken into protective custody and was transported to a local hospital for evaluation and treatment. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Assist Police/Adult Arrested Person – 1:22 p.m. The Dane County Sheriff's Office located armed robbery suspects and requested backup after the first suspect (24-year-old AAF) was taken into custody outside of a residence. Several units responded and assisted in taking a second suspect (38-year-old WM) into custody. MPD has several open cases with both suspects. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Information/Check Person – 3:45 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for after a 6-week-old infant was brought in with a low body temperature. Medical staff advised they believe the infant had an infection and were not concerned about intentional neglect at this point. The infant was admitted to the hospital for treatment. CPS was notified. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Death Investigation – 4:34 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a residence on the north side for a subject (66-year-old WM) discovered deceased by his roommate. The subject had numerous chronic health problems and there was nothing suspicious noted on scene. The Medical Examiner's Office advised the death appeared to be natural.
7) MIDTOWN: Assist MFD/Death Investigation – 5:27 p.m. MPD responded to a residence in the Westmorland neighborhood to assist MFD with a subject (66-year-old WM) found deceased. Evidence indicates the death was a result of suicide. MFD transported the subject to a local hospital where he passed away. The subject had a history of depression and several empty pill bottles were found in the bathroom. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Sex Offense Miscellaneous/Adult Arrested Person – 6:31 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a suspect (47-year-old AAM) who was observed standing naked in front of his doorway for a protracted period of time. He had been cited for this same behavior earlier in the day and was subsequently arrested for Lewd and Lascivious and taken to the PSB. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 10:27 p.m. Officers were flagged down on N Frances St after a victim (22-year-old AAM) observed his tire was slashed. Officers reviewed UW and City cameras and subsequently arrested the victim's ex-girlfriend/suspect (19-year-old HF) on a domestic-related charge of Criminal Damage to Property as well as violating an injunction order. Investigation continuing.
10) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 1:54 a.m. A suspect (56-year-old AAM) turned himself in at South Police District on warrants for Burglary. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Check Person – 3:14 a.m. Officers were dispatched to an address on Seventh St after a caller (31-year-old UF) reported an unknown WM had entered her backyard and stole chicken. The caller had chicken marinating in the backyard and the suspect put said chicken on the grill and began to eat it. When confronted by the caller's boyfriend, the suspect stated that they should thank him for making their chicken. The suspect left northbound on Seventh St prior to police arrival. The caller opted against speaking with police and returned to bed. Officers checked area and nobody was located. Investigation continuing.