The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/21/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/22/2019, MPD received 546 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 546 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (120), East (123), Midtown (83), North (74), South (58), West (61), and Other (27). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 7:16pm-11:15pm due to calls for service.
1) SOUTH: Information/Armed Robbery – 2:52 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital and met with a victim (47-year-old AAM) who sustained broken/knocked out teeth, a laceration to his lip and a broken jaw. The victim was not initially cooperative but ultimately told officers that he was robbed/physically assaulted by a suspect (AAM) at the 7-11 on S. Park Street. The victim stated that the suspect approached him, demanded money and that a physical fight ensued. The victim advised that the suspect pulled a handgun on him. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) CENTRAL: Theft from Auto – 6:41 a.m. Officers responded to E. Dayton St for a report of a stolen handgun from a vehicle. The registered owner/victim (40-year-old WM) recalls leaving his vehicle locked. No damage located to the vehicle. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Trespassing/Adult Arrested Person – 10:43 a.m. Officers responded to a disturbance at the Quality Inn on Thierer Rd. The suspect (37-year-old AAM) was contacted by officers near the hotel and was not cooperative/resisted. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with numerous city ordinance violations.
4) MIDTOWN: Information/Sexual Assault – 2:13 p.m. Officers met with a victim (40-year-old WM) who reported being sexually assaulted by a suspect (49-year-old AAM). Attempts were made to make contact with the suspect. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Check Welfare/Drug Incident/Overdose – 3:10 p.m. Officers responded to Packers/Aberg to check the welfare of a subject/suspect (39-year-old WF) observed wandering into traffic and appearing to nod off. As officers arrived on scene they located the suspect on the sidewalk with agonal breathing. The suspect was administered Naloxone by MPD, which revived her. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was cited for possession of heroin and referred to the Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI).
6) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 6:07 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence reference an ongoing disturbance between two subjects (21-year-old WM suspect and 19-year-old WM victim). The suspect went to confront the victim at the victim's residence. The suspect pointed an air soft gun at the victim. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct while armed.
7) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 6:55 p.m. While on an unrelated call, officers observed two subjects fighting at Reynolds Park. Contact was made with the subjects (31-year-old WM suspect and unknown victim). The suspect was not cooperative and resisted officers. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance and subsequently transported to jail on charges of possession of drug paraphernalia, possession of cocaine, possession of marijuana, resisting, threats towards law enforcement and disorderly conduct.
8) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 7:19 p.m. Officers responded to Russett Rd for sounds of a physical disturbance. Upon arrival, officers could hear what sounded like a violent domestic occurring in the residence. A decision was made to make entry to the home where the officers then had to deal with subjects who were spitting and combative. By the time the scene was stabilized and an investigation initiated, one suspect (28-year-old AAM) was arrested and conveyed to jail on domestic-related charges. Another suspect (30-year-old AAM) was identified but had left the scene prior to MPD's arrival. There is probable cause for this individual for charges of strangulation (4 counts), disorderly conduct, substantial battery and 1st degree reckless endangering safety. A female subject/victim (25-year-old AAF) was treated at a local hospital and provided a full statement. As there were children present, CPS was notified and plugged in. Investigation continuing.
9) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto – 11:08 p.m. Officers received a report of a stolen auto from Allied Drive. Shortly after this being called in, Fitchburg PD observes the vehicle and a brief pursuit took place. Fitchburg PD terminated the pursuit. The Town of Madison PD also observed the vehicle and attempted a stop but also terminated their pursuit. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Information/Non-Residential Burglary – 1:15 a.m. Officers responded to the Red Roof Inn on Hayes Rd for a report from a hotel guest that someone pointed a gun at them. The victims (38-year-old AAM and 34-year-old WF) were sleeping when they heard a knock at their door. The male victim went to the door and a suspect (AAM) attempted to force entry into the home and subsequently pointed a gun at the victim. The victim stated that he was able to force the suspect out of the room. Upon arrival of officers, two other hotel guests advise that their room had been burglarized (wallet/purse/credit cards stolen). Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Residential Burglary – 5:15 a.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a report of a burglary. The caller/victim reported that a suspect (UM) broken into their residence and then fled. Investigation continuing.