The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/26/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/27/2019, MPD received 462 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 462 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (93), East (69), Midtown (80), North (60), South (48), West (57), and Other (55). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 7:20pm-9:37pm due to calls for service.
?1) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 8:01 a.m. Officers responded to Camden Rd for an unwanted subject/suspect (36-year-old WM). The suspect showed up unannounced/uninvited to his ex-girlfriend/victim's (WF) residence and started to cause a disturbance. The suspect fled on foot as officers arrived in the area. An address was checked for the suspect and the suspect was located hiding in the garage. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with resisting/obstructing and failure to comply with an officer's attempt to take into custody. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 8:15 a.m. Officers responded to the 500 block of State Street for a disturbance. The suspect (24-year-old AAM) entered a restaurant (Taco Bell) and proceeded to use an outlet to charge his phone, without purchasing anything. The suspect was asked to leave, which upset him. The suspect left and was followed by an employee/suspect (56-year-old HM) who started to yell/cause an additional disturbance. The two suspects got into a physical altercation. The AAM suspect fled on foot but was apprehended by officers where the suspect resisted arrest. The AAM suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct (2 counts) and resisting. The HM suspect was cited for disorderly conduct.
3) WEST: Traffic Incident/Adult Arrested Person – 8:35 a.m. Officers responded to Starr grass Drive for a crash where a vehicle/driver (17-year-old WM) lost control and struck a fence. The driver was uncooperative with officers. The driver was subsequently arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with obstructing and cited for inattentive driving, operating without a valid driver's license and not having insurance.
4) CENTRAL: Stolen Auto – 11:12 a.m. Officers received a report of a stolen vehicle from Langdon Street. The keys were left in the vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Hit-and-Run/Adult Arrested Person – 1:06 p.m. Officers responded to a hit-and-run crash in the area of E. Washington Ave and I-39. Witnesses reported that the suspect driver (19-year-old AAM) was traveling approximately 80 mph and struck another vehicle. The suspect attempted to casually leave on foot but was apprehended/detained by officers after a short foot pursuit. The occupants from the victim vehicle were conveyed to a local hospital with minor injuries. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with hit-and-run causing injury, resisting, possession of cocaine with intent to deliver, a probation hold and traffic citations.
6) SOUTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 2:42 p.m. Officers met with a victim (53-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a friend/suspect (57-year-old WM). The suspect was interviewed. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
7) MIDTOWN: Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 3:43 p.m. Officers responded to Columbus Lane for a disturbance between two subjects (32-year-old AAF victim and 47-year-old AAM suspect). Probable cause was developed and the suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct, two outstanding warrants and resisting.
8) WEST: Mental Health Conveyance – 4:40 p.m. Officers were alerted to a subject (62-year-old WF) who may be suicidal and had attempted to run into traffic. Journey Mental Health plugged in. Later in the evening, MPD was requested to assist with an emergency detention. The subject was contacted by officers at a local hospital and an emergency detention was sought. Transport pending. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 6:25 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of sexual assault of a child involving a family member. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Check Person – 7:40 p.m. Officers responded to a north side group home where a resident (32-year-old WM) was upset and causing a disturbance. The resident was calmed down as officers were on scene. Officers and staff at the group home decided that the resident would remain at the home and no charges were substantiated. No further action deemed necessary by officers.
11) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 8:27 p.m. Officers received a report of a stolen vehicle from Reindahl Park. The vehicle was left unlocked with the keys in it. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Check Property – 10:25 p.m. Officers responded to Brentwood Parkway for a report of shots fired. Area canvassed and no evidence of shots fired located at this time. Investigation continuing.
13) EAST: Theft – 1:00 a.m. Officers met with a victim (67-year-old WM) who reported that his wallet/cash/credit cards were stolen while he was at Ho Chunk. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Check Person – 1:54 a.m. Officers responded to W. Gorham St to check the welfare of a possible suicidal subject (19-year-old AAF). The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. An emergency detention was sought. Investigation continuing.