The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/22/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/23/2019, MPD received 409 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 409 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (80), East (62), Midtown (60), North (51), South (45), West (53), and Other (58). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 3:03pm to 3:31pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 10:05pm-11:50pm due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Traffic Complaint/Cited Adult – 2:21 a.m. Officers responded to Elizabeth St for a crash. The driver (25-year-old WF) was backing out of the driveway when she clipped a porch of a residence and proceeded to strike a separate residence. MG&E and MFD responded due to a minor gas leak that was caused when the vehicle struck one of the homes. The driver was cited for unsafe driving and no seatbelt. No injuries reported. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) EAST: Stolen Auto – 9:41 a.m. Officers responded to Crossroads Drive for a report of a stolen auto. The keys were left in the vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 10:28 a.m. Officers met with a victim (17-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted a few weeks ago by a known acquaintance (17-year-old UM). Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Disturbance – 1:27 p.m. Officers responded to the 2700 block of E. Washington Ave reference a disturbance among numerous subjects (58-year-old AAM victim, 16-year-old AAF victim, 26-year-old AAM suspect and 17-year-old AAM suspect). During the disturbance two vehicles were damaged. The two suspects are acquaintances/friends and the AAM victim is one of their fathers. The AAM victim's vehicles were damaged but he did not want to pursue charges. The two suspects were arrested, however, for their part in the disturbance. The 17-year-old suspect was charged with damage to property. The 26-year-old suspect was charged with disorderly conduct while armed. Both suspects were conveyed to jail.
5) EAST: Residential Burglary – 1:46 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a burglary. The homeowner/victim (41-year-old WF) reported that an unknown suspect broke into her home and took cash. Damage was located to two doors and a window. Neighborhood canvassed. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Fight Call/Adult Arrested Person – 1:55 p.m. Officers responded to the 700 block of E. Washington Ave reference a fight in progress between two subjects (49-year-old AAM victim and 23-year-old HM suspect). The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct, a probation hold and an outstanding warrant. No injuries reported.
7) WEST: Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 2:10 p.m. Officers responded to the 6500 block of Raymond Rd for a disturbance between two subjects (31-year-old WM victim and 28-year-old WF suspect). The subjects are dating. The victim reported that his girlfriend/suspect threatened him with a gun (although no gun was displayed). The subjects were contacted. No probable cause was developed from the incident, however, the suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with battery from a previous incident which occurred two days prior. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Check Person – 2:58 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence to assist staff with a 18-year-old WM autistic subject who left his home and was not cooperative. The subject was contacted, calmed down and returned home. No further action deemed necessary by officers.
9) NORTH: Information/Child Neglect – 5:32 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence and met with a 10-year-old HM who reported to his mother that his father (39-year-old HM) gave him pornographic materials (magazine/DVDs). The father may be dealing with undiagnosed mental health issues. Child Protective Services notified. Investigation continuing.
10) MIDTOWN: Drug Incident/Adult Arrested Person – 6:43 p.m. Officers responded to W. Johnson St/W. Park St for a subject/suspect (28-year-old WF) "huffing". The suspect was contacted, arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with abusing a hazardous substance and a probation hold.
11) CENTRAL: Information/Suspicious Person – 7:22 p.m. Officers met with the caller (47-year-old WF) who reported being followed by a male subject on Monday, September 16. The caller advised that this male subject continued to follow her and her sister for some time. The incident escalated when the caller confronted the male subject and pepper-sprayed him. The male subject then fled on his bike. The caller did not make a contemporaneous report at the time of the incident; however, she now wished to report the incident as she believes the same suspect may be wanted by the MPD based on a community bulletin. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 7:35 p.m. Officers met with a victim (13-year-old AAF) who reported being inappropriately touched by a suspect (HM). Investigation continuing.
13) WEST: Assist MFD/EMS – 8:04 p.m. Officers responded, along with EMS/Fire, to the 6200 block of Schroeder Rd for a report of a subject (UM) passed out in the parking lot. The subject was revived and conveyed to a local hospital. Initial indicator of cause is a medical event. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto – 8:06 p.m. Officers responded to a midtown district residence for a report of a stolen auto. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
15) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 8:14 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital and met with a subject (30-year-old WF) who was in need of an emergency detention. The subject, who resides at a group home, threatened staff. Journey Mental Health plugged in. Transport pending. Investigation continuing.
16) MIDTOWN: Assist MFD/EMS – 8:21 p.m. Officers responded, along with EMS/Fire, to the area of Mineral Point Rd/Presidential Lane reference a fire. A detached garage on Ascot Lane was located on fire. MPD assisted with scene perimeter and traffic control. MFD has the lead on this investigation.
17) CENTRAL: Battery – 9:50 p.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported being physically assaulted by an unknown suspect (HM) as she was walking on E. Main Street. The victim screamed for help and fought back, prompting the suspect to flee. Investigation continuing.
18) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 10:22 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (28-year-old AAF victim and 37-year-old WM suspect). The subjects are married and were engaged in a verbal argument. The victim was observed with a black eye which she stated was caused by the suspect several days ago. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery and conveyed to jail.
19) EAST: Check Person/Stolen Auto – 2:36 a.m. Officers responded, along with EMS/MFD, to the 4400 block of E. Broadway for a report of a subject covered in blood. A subject (34-year-old HM) was located, along with a 30-year-old WM subject. The subjects gave varying accounts for what occurred and were not cooperative with officers. Officers left the scene after no probable cause was developed only to return to the area after the HM subject called police to report that the WM subject stole his vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.