From 5:30 a.m. on 09/11/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 09/12/2017, MPD received 439 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
1) SOUTH: Burglary Non-Residential – 7:23 a.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of Post Road where multiple burglaries were reported at a storage unit business. Several other incidents have been reported in the past 48 hours. Video is being reviewed. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:26 p.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Vahlen Street where the complainant reported that her son/suspect (32 year old WM) was having a mental break down, was under the influence of drugs, and was causing physical damage to the property. After conferring with Dane County Mental Health, a determination was made that the suspect be charged with disorderly conduct and domestic criminal damage to property.
3) WEST: Check Person - 1:49 p.m. Officers were sent to the 500 block of D'Onofrio Dr to check the welfare of a subject (44 year old WM) who called 911 and was making no sense. The subject was yelling at dispatchers, repeatedly saying a man and woman's name, and saying that no one would help him. He also refused to come to the door and said that police and EMS would need to break in. Officers made contact and transported him to a local hospital for an evaluation. He was highly intoxicated and admitted for medical reasons.
4) EAST: Runaway Juvenile - 4:09 p.m. Officers were sent to the 1000 block of S Thompson Dr to take a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (15 year old AAM). The subject is a chronic runaway with no mental health or medical concerns. He was last seen at home on Saturday. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Hit and Run - 5:49 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 3000 block of Portage Rd for a hit and run crash. Callers reported that there was a silver car that hit a pole, the car drove off, and a passenger that was in the vehicle walked away. Another caller reported a short time later that the vehicle was abandoned and the driver fled. Officers flooded the area in an effort to find the occupants. A K9 track led to Sandburg Woods. No suspects were located and injuries from the crash are unknown.
6) WEST: Stolen Auto - 7:01 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 6300 block of Mineral Point Rd for a stolen auto. A vehicle had been left in the parking lot for about an hour and a half with the keys inside. When the owner (72 year old WF) returned, the vehicle was gone. The vehicle was a dark blue 2014 Ford Escape. No suspect information is known at this time.
7) CENTRAL: Overdose/OMVWI - 8:24 p.m. Officers were dispatched to State St and Lake St for a driver (37 year old WF) who was having difficulty breathing. Officers arrived with EMS, who delivered several doses of naloxone to the driver, which seemed to improve her condition. The suspect was transported to a local hospital. Officers found that the suspect was operating a local taxi but was not on duty at the time. Officers found drug paraphernalia in the car. The suspect will be charged with operating a motor vehicle while impaired (OMVWI), possession of drug paraphernalia, and a probation hold.
8) NORTH: Overdose - 9:40 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a restaurant in the 4500 block of E Washington Ave for a subject (36 year old WM) who was in their vehicle, slumped over with their head in their lap, unresponsive. Officers arrived and could not wake the subject. Madison Fire arrived and administered naloxone and transported the subject to a local hospital. The suspect was given citations and Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative (MARI) information at the hospital.
9) WEST: Check Person - 12:05 a.m. An MPD sergeant on patrol decided to check the welfare of the driver of a vehicle who was parked on the street, half in a lane of traffic, with their lights off near the West District police station. The driver (28 year old AAM), who identified himself verbally to police, was found to have a warrant for his arrest and was taken into custody. A subsequent search of the suspect located an ID showing the suspect was not who he identified himself as. Unfortunately, when running the real name of the suspect, it was determined he also had a warrant. The suspect was arrested on the warrant, possession of marijuana, and obstructing an officer's investigation, and was taken to jail.
10) NORTH: Accident/OMVWI - 2:06 a.m. Multiple callers reported a motor vehicle accident where a vehicle had struck a house in the 3200 block of Portage Rd. The suspect vehicle was on its roof with the driver (22 year old WF) still inside. As officers arrived, it became apparent that there was a significant gas leak as a result of the accident, as the gas pipe leading into the house had been sheared off. The street was shut down and Madison Fire was able to shut off the gas leak and attend to the driver's medical needs. Passengers in the vehicle received possible broken bones from the accident. The vehicle was apparently travelling too fast and could not negotiate the curve on Portage Rd, striking a parked vehicle, and proceeding through two yards before striking the house and rolling over. The engine was separated from the rest of the vehicle and came to rest about 20 feet from the rest of the car. The driver failed standardized field sobriety tests, smelled of intoxicants, and admitted to drinking prior to the accident. All parties were transported to the hospital, where the driver was cited for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.