From 5:30 a.m. on 09/27/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 09/28/2017, MPD received 440 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
Certain calls have recurrent themes in terms of time and labor intensity. For example, when individuals are taken for an evaluation due to a mental health issue or episodic break, MPD does an extensive collaboration with Journey Mental Health in determining the least restrictive option. These are always two officer calls and can routinely last between 5-8 hours (or more). Emergency Detention conveyances are taken to the Winnebago Mental Health Hospital in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. This is a five hour round-trip, including intake, that takes two officers out of our community and creates challenges for us as we attempt to service calls.
1) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 6:53 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital to meet with a victim (56 year old WM) regarding a sexual assault complaint. Incident believed to have occurred on W. Dayton Street. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Sexual Assault – 9:09 a.m. Officers responded to a local hospital regarding a sexual assault complaint regarding a victim (32 year old WF). Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Check Person – 11:58 a.m. Officers responded to Tottenham Road for a report of a missing subject, who is developmentally disabled, (25 year old WM) from a group home. The subject was located and returned back to his home.
4) SOUTH: Road Rage – 12:12 p.m. Officers responded to Hwy 14 incoming to Madison from Oregon for a road rage incident. Two vehicles engage in obscene hand gestures towards one another. A gun (later determined to be a BB gun) is displayed. The suspect vehicle/driver (22 year old AAM) was located and issued a citation for disorderly conduct.
5) NORTH: Disturbance – 2:25 p.m. Officers were initially dispatched to contact a subject on Onsgaard Road who was stating his brother was "not acting right." By the time the officers arrived in the area the brother was at a gas station and put his hands on an individual in the store. The subject (36 year old American Indian male) was taken into protective custody and transported to a local hospital for an evaluation. The victim from the store left prior to being interviewed by officers. The subject was ultimately transported by two MPD officers to Winnebago under an emergency detention.
6) NORTH: Drug Incident/Investigation – 3:09 p.m. Officers were engaged in drug interdiction in the East Washington corridor when they contacted a vehicle in the 2900 block of Hoard Street with two occupants. A loaded gun was observed in plain view in the vehicle. The suspect (23 year old AAM) was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon and trespassing. A second suspect (21 year old AAM) was arrested for trespassing and an active warrant.
7) WEST: Child Abuse – 4:42 p.m. Officers were requested by Child Protective Services to assist with a possible child abuse investigation (on Frisch Road) of a 2 month old WF. Investigation is continuing.
8) EAST: Traffic Complaint/Investigation – 5:09 p.m. Officers responded to Monona Ct/Buckeye for a report of a vehicle driving recklessly. Officers make contact with the vehicle/occupants. When interviewed separately, the passenger described being concerned over the driver's behavior. The driver/subject (50 year old AAM) was transported to a local hospital and eventually to Winnebago on an emergency detention due to his behavior.
9) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 7:17 p.m. Officers responded to the 2100 block of Winnebago Street where witnesses reported observing two vehicles with individuals in an argument and then shots were fired. Officers checked the area. Three shell casings were recovered. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Check Person – 10:15 p.m. Officers responded to N. Franklin Street regarding a suicidal subject (18 year old WF). Subject was unable to be contacted. Attempt to locate aired.
11) NORTH: Adult Arrested Persons – 10:18 p.m. Officers were in the 700 block of Pinecrest when they observed a suspicious vehicle making exchanges. The vehicle/occupants were contacted. A gun was recovered from the vehicle and a suspect (26 year old AAM) was arrested for carrying a concealed weapon. A 24 year old AAM was cited for possession of THC. A 19 year old AAM was arrested for outstanding probable cause for theft, bail jumping and fraud.
12) EAST: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 3:31 a.m. Officers respond to Sycamore Ave where multiple callers report hearing shots fired. Officers locate multiple casings in the street and discover that multiple rounds struck an occupied residence. No injuries were located. Investigation continuing.