From 5:30 a.m. on 10/07/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 10/08/2017, MPD received 406 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
1) NORTH: Accident Hit and Run – 10:10 a.m. MPD was called to an accident (car vs building) at the BP Station located at 3510 Packers Ave. The suspect (34 year old AAF) was fueling her vehicle and as she was leaving the gas station lot she proceeded to hit two vehicles in the lot causing one of the occupied victim-vehicles to be pushed into the BP building. The suspect was contacted and became combative/resistive. The suspect was arrested and transported to a local hospital for a medical clearance as she is 26 weeks pregnant. Suspect is on probation and they are contemplating a hold to place on her. Suspect was cited for misdemeanor Hit and Run and a number of other traffic offenses.
2) WEST: Disturbance – 1:16 p.m. MPD was dispatched to three people fighting in the Speedway gas station parking lot, located at 4902 Verona Rd. Suspect descriptions provided, however, upon arrival, all parties had fled. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Disturbance - 1:35 p.m. Officers were dispatched to S Bedford St and W Wilson St, reference a subject (28 year old WM) yelling at people, trying car doors and flailing his arms around. This was at least the second time today that officers were called for the same subject. Officers contacted the subject and he was placed under arrest for Disorderly Conduct.
4) NORTH: Weapons Offense-Shots Fired – 1:52 p.m. Officers responded to multiple reports of shots fired. Numerous witnesses and callers were contacted. Officers located four shell casings in the intersection of Commercial and Kedzie. No reported or located damage or injuries. Officers were able to find a witness who believes that two subjects may have been the target. Those two had a vehicle parked on Fairfield Pl and were walking on Commercial. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Sexual Assault of a Child - 2:20 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 3700 block of School Rd reference a sexual assault of a child, where all parties were still on scene. Officers contacted the caller (38 year old AAF) who reported that her ex-boyfriend (46 year old AAM) touched her daughter (15 year old AAF) inappropriately. CPS was notified, investigation continuing.
6) NORTH and EAST: Tornado – 5:00 p.m. Just after 5pm, a storm quickly formed on the North and East side of Madison. The storm popped up very quickly and a tornado was confirmed. The tornado damage seemed to start near Marquette and E Washington heading east. The bulk of the damage was north and east of Wright St and E Washington Ave. Numerous power outages on the North side and officers were facilitating traffic flow as well as providing support for MG&E.
7) WEST: Drug Investigation - 5:42 p.m. Officers were called to the 3000 block of Greenway Trl to check the welfare of a man who was acting strangely and may have been under the influence. Officers initially thought that the subject was experiencing excited delirium. He did cooperate with officers after disposing of a couple of needles. He admitted to the drug use and said he was injecting morphine. The suspect was arrested for Possession of Schedule 1 narcotic, Possession of Paraphernalia and bail jumping. The suspect is at the jail.
8) SOUTH: Mental Health Conveyance – 6:16 p.m. Officers were called to Coho St, reference a person threatening to light themselves on fire. Officers contacted the subject (17 year old AAM) who poured bleach all over himself and ran to his room. In his room he had lighter fluid and rags set out on his bed and was threatening. He was taken into custody without incident and is at the hospital for a mental health evaluation. He will be conveyed to Winnebago on a petition of emergency detention.
9) EAST: Armed Robbery - 8:28 p.m. Officers were dispatched to an armed robbery at Aldi Foods on Lien Rd. Caller was an employee and said that the robber put all of the Aldis staff in the bathroom during the event. Suspect was armed with a handgun and described as AAM, 30's, thin build, 5'10", Packers hat, black backpack, aviator sunglasses, and Carhartt-style work gloves. Suspect made off with cash, purses, and phones. Suspect fled prior to MPD arrival. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Robbery Strong Armed - 8:38 p.m. Officers were called to Target (201 Junction Rd) reference a strong armed robbery. Loss Prevention agent observes an individual attempting to take approximately $200+ in liquor. Agent confronts them. The suspect then struck the Loss Prevention agent in the head, knocking him down, and subsequently fled in a red Ford Taurus with no front plate. Suspect was described as AAM. 50-60 years old, short grey beard, brown jacket and blue jeans, 5'8" to 5'9" and approximately 250 lbs. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Accident w/Injuries - 10:24 p.m. Officers were dispatched to University Ave and Lake St, reference a motor vehicle vs pedestrian accident where the pedestrian was thrown and the driver fled. Pedestrian (36 year old WM) appears to have significant injuries and is transported. Vehicle and driver were located and the driver (36 year old AAF) arrested for OWI causing injury. Pedestrian is stable and is admitted to a local hospital. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Battery - 11:57 p.m. Officers were sent to 300 N Henry St regarding a female who was bleeding. Officers contacted the victim (43 year old WF) who states that she allows an acquaintance to stay with her regularly, and on this evening he came to the residence and battered her with no provocation or warning. Suspect (60 year old WM), is known to downtown officers and he fled prior to PD's arrival. He reportedly struck her, slammed her head against an air conditioning unit, and stepped on her neck, impeding her breathing. She was transported to an area hospital and officers have established probable cause for Substantial Battery and Strangulation. Investigation continuing.
13) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense - 1:44 a.m. Officers were called to a disturbance in front of a downtown food cart parked in the 500 block of N Frances St, involving multiple people. An employee of the cart allegedly left the cart pointing a gun at one of the involved parties, who then fled. MPD is attempting to recover cell phone video footage of this incident. The suspect (31 year old AAM) is not immediately located by PD, but a tentative identification has been established. Subsequently, the victim (29 year old AAM) in this initial incident then went on to batter another party nearby, and was arrested for Battery, Obstructing, and a warrant. Investigation continuing.