The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:30 a.m. on 04/13/2018 through 5:30 a.m. on 04/14/2018, MPD received 437 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
**Priority only calls West, Midtown and South Districts from 1:00 p.m. until 2:33 p.m.
1) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 5:39 a.m. Officers responded to Leland Drive for a subject in violation of his probation. The subject (21-year-old WM) was arrested on a probation hold and conveyed to jail.
2) WEST: Weapons Offense – 7:20 a.m. Officers responded to Muir Field Road for a juvenile (11-year-old WM) attempting to attack his 16-year-old sister with a knife. No injuries were sustained. The 11-year-old juvenile was conveyed to a local hospital for a mental health evaluation. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Arrested Juvenile – 8:38 a.m. A 15-year-old AAM was arrested for bringing a facsimile BB gun to Memorial High School in a backpack. Press release completed. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Drug Incident/Investigation – 12:55 p.m. Officers were dispatched to Blackbird Lane reference a subject (32-year-old WM) who was experiencing "excited delirium" after overdosing. The subject was placed into protective custody without incident and transported to a hospital. The subject was cited for possession of paraphernalia and bail jumping.
5) EAST: Weapons Offense – 5:05 p.m. Officers and MFD were sent to Schenk Street reference a subject who had accidentally shot himself in the hand. Officers made contact with the suspect (53-year-old WM) who stated he came to the residence to look at a handgun he was interested in purchasing. The suspect removed the magazine but did not know there was a round in the chamber and pulled the trigger. The suspect sustained a gunshot wound to his left hand and required immediate medical attention. The suspect was cited for negligent handling of a firearm and released to medical staff.
6) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 6:54 p.m. MPD was dispatched to a domestic disturbance on Ridgeview Court. The victim (23-year-old HF) reported that she recently broke up with her live-in boyfriend/suspect (32-year-old WM). The intoxicated suspect and the victim had a verbal argument which became physical. The suspect was charged with intimidation of a victim and battery.
7) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 7:00 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the far north side for a disturbance involving a 23-year-old AAM suspect, who had outstanding probable cause (PC) for operating a motor vehicle without owner's consent (OMVWOC). Officers investigated and learned the suspect had made several threats to his mother, including convincing her to give him a check that he could write and cash. The suspect was arrested on the outstanding PC for OMVWOC, an outstanding warrant, as well as the new domestic disorderly conduct and a new OMVWOC charge.
8) CENTRAL: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 7:13 p.m. MPD officers were sent to East Mifflin Street for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile. The mother reported that her son (12-year-old AAM) did not return home after school. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was listed as missing in the appropriate databases.
9) CENTRAL: Check Person – 10:53 p.m. Officers were called with Madison Fire Rescue to East Mifflin Street for a female who attempted to intentionally overdose on pills. Upon arrival, the subject indicated that she had taken a potentially lethal dose of medication. The female was contacted and transported to a hospital by MFD. Journey Mental Health is plugged in.
10) WEST: Assist EMS/Fire – 12:20 a.m. Officers were called to assist Madison Fire at an apartment fire on Schroeder Road. Nothing appears suspicious at this time. MPD assisted MFD with traffic considerations and other perimeter issues. Red Cross responded to assist the family.
11) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 2:51 a.m. Officers were sent to Shopko Drive reference a report of a gun in a vehicle. A vehicle description was provided. Officers located the suspect vehicle on Northport Drive and conducted a high-risk stop. Three people were initially detained but, as no weapon was located, all subjects were released. Investigation continuing.