The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/27/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/28/2019, MPD received 271 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 271 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (45), East (54), Midtown (60), North (41), South (21), West (40), and Other (10). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Limited crash-response starting at 10:03pm due to the weather/calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 11:02pm to 6:40am due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Assist EMS/Fire – 6:08 a.m. MPD responded, along with MFD/EMS, to a full structure fire (apartment complex) in the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Rd. MPD assisted with perimeter security and traffic. No injuries reported. MFD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Battery – 10:26 a.m. Officers responded to Woodman's on Milwaukee St for a report of a battery. The victim (UM) is an employee of the store and reported being punched by a customer/suspect (58-year-old WM). The suspect was cited for municipal battery and banned from the store.
3) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault – 11:04 a.m. Officers met with a victim (20-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a suspect (22-year-old WM). Probable cause was developed and the suspect was arrested for 2nd degree sexual assault and strangulation. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Disturbance – 1:16 p.m. Officers responded to Rethke Ave for a disturbance/threats complaint. It was reported that a verbal argument had taken place between two subjects (55-year-old WM subject and 53-year-old AAM suspect) when the victim/security personnel (19-year-old WF) attempted to intervene. The suspect threatened the victim and left the area. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect for disorderly conduct. Suspect is at-large. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Stolen Auto – 6:28 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence (Prairie Rd) for a report of a stolen auto. The vehicle was left unoccupied, running and with the keys inside. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Sexual Assault – 7:19 p.m. Officers met with a victim (28-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a suspect (33-year-old HM) on East Springs Drive. The suspect was contacted. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect for 4th degree sexual assault. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
7) MIDTOWN: Check Person/Mental Health Conveyance – 10:05 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital regarding a subject (31-year-old WM) who has been in different hospitals dating back to 1/16 and there were on-going concerns for his mental health and aggressive behaviors. A facility had not been located to place the subject and it was determined that the subject could not be released. An emergency detention is being sought and MPD officers are guarding the subject at the hospital due to staff concerns for their safety. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 10:21 p.m. Officers responded to the 500 block of State Street for what was originally reported as a subject being threatened with a knife. The victim (24-year-old WM) was contacted and video was reviewed. No knife was observed in the video. The video showed some pushing between the victim and a suspect (unidentified). The victim reported that the suspect attempted to take his backpack and pulled a knife on him. The suspect was not located. Investigation continuing.
9) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 10:38 p.m. Officers responded to Braxton Place for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (43-year-old AAF victim and 34-year-old AAM suspect). The victim and suspect reside together and are dating. The couple engaged in a verbal argument, that then turned physical. The suspect punched, bit and strangled the victim. The suspect refused to let the victim call 911. The victim sustained visible injuries. The suspect was arrested for domestic strangulation (2 counts), domestic battery, misdemeanor domestic intimidation of a victim and domestic disorderly conduct.
10) MIDTOWN: Crash/Property Damage – 10:44 p.m. While officers were assisting with a one-vehicle crash on the Beltline/Gammon Rd, a vehicle/suspect (60-year-old AAF) struck a MPD squad. The squad was pushed into the original vehicle that had crashed. No officers were injured. The suspect was cited for inattentive driving and no insurance. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
11) WEST: Recovered/Stolen Auto – 12:32 a.m. Officers observed a reported stolen auto (from Fitchburg) on Mineral Point Rd. The vehicle attempted to flee but slid into a snowbank. The driver/suspect (14-year-old AAM) fled on foot but was subsequently located/apprehended. The passenger/suspect (15-year-old AAM) also attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended. Both suspects were transported to the Juvenile Reception Center. The driver/suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle without consent (OMVWOC) and resisting arrest. The passenger/suspect was charged with misdemeanor OMVWOC. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
12) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 12:36 a.m. Officers responded to the frontage road of the Beltline at Todd Drive for reports of shots fired. Areas checked. No evidence of shots fired located. Additional canvassing may be necessary during daylight hours. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
13) CENTRAL: Disturbance/Unwanted Subject – 4:17 a.m. Officers responded to N. Ingersoll St for a report of a suspect (71-year-old AAM) refusing to leave the premises when asked. The suspect was contacted by officers and he was not cooperative. Once in custody, the suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance. Once released from the hospital, the suspect will be charged with trespassing, discharging bodily fluids, disorderly conduct and an outstanding probation/parole warrant. Investigation continuing.