The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/19/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/20/2019, MPD received 442 calls for service.? This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.? For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown.? MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 442 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (93), East (65), Midtown (73), North (60), South (43), West (63), and Other (45).? Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City.? For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Limited crash response from 8:12am-9:23am 2/19/2019.**
**Priority calls starting at 5:05 am on 2/20/2019 due to road conditions.**
1) EAST: Non-Residential Burglary – 5:51 a.m.? Officers responded to robberies at two different BP convenience stores (2801 Atwood Avenue and 4102 Commercial Avenue).? Around 4:48 a.m. a suspect(s) attempted a smash-and-grab style break-in at the gas station on Atwood Avenue but failed.? Around 5:04 a.m. an alarm went off at the Commercial Avenue location and the front door was found smashed.? Incident Report on MPD's website completed.? Investigation continuing.? *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 10:55 a.m.? Officers responded to the 5700 block of Raymond Road to attempt to locate a wanted suspect (39-year-old AAM).? Officers observed the suspect who fled on foot.? The suspect was apprehended, arrested and charged with an outstanding warrant and resisting arrest.
3) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 11:43 a.m.? Officers responded to a midtown district residence to check the welfare of a subject (42-year-old WM) who made some statements to harm himself.? Contact was made with the subject who agreed to be conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation.? MPD mental health officers plugged in.? Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Disturbance – 1:54 p.m. Offcers were sent to a disturbance that occurred on the Interstate in a car.? The victim (26-year-old WM) was driving his girlfriend, her son (13-year-old WM) and a friend of the son (13-year-old WM) home to Illinois.? The son physically attacked the victim?while they were going 70 mph on the Interstate, causing the victim to take his hands off the wheel.? The car spun around a couple of times, not hitting anything, and the victim was able to pull the car off of the road and attempted to de-escalate the situation.? At that point, the son then got out of the car,?and assisted by his friend, continued to attack the victim.? Both individuals were arrested and charged with 2nd Degree Reckless Endangerment and taken to the Juvenile Reception Center.
5) MIDTOWN: Information/Sexual Assault of a Child – 4:14 p.m. Officers were dispatched to a high school reference a sexual assault report. According to the victim (16-year-old AAF), her mother's boyfriend sexually assaulted her in December 2018, along with numerous other instances of inappropriate behavior. CPS is involved.?Contact was made with victim's mom and mom's boyfriend. Victim is staying with other family members. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Adult Arrested Person – 6:37 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 6700 block of Hammersley Road reference a male refusing to leave. The caller/victim/wife (29-year-old WF) indicated that her husband/suspect (31-year-old WM) called to report that her husband had violated a court order prohibiting contact with her.? The suspect was arrested and taken to the Public Safety Building.
7) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 6:43 p.m. Officers were sent to the Overture Center reference a man banging on the windows and creating a scene. The suspect, (27-year-old AAM), was arrested for trespass and Disorderly Conduct.? He was taken to the PSB.
8) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 6:48 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 2900 block of N. Sherman Avenue, reference an overdose.? The subject (34-year-old WF) was in the restroom when she stopped breathing. A Good Samaritan heard her fall to the ground and called for help. Paraphernalia was located. Narcan was administered by MPD and the subject was revived and conveyed to a hospital.? Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Conveyance Mental Health – 7:09 p.m. An officer observed a missing/endangered person in a van on E. Doty/MLK Jr. Blvd.? The subject (43 year-old WF) was inside the vehicle.? Officers ended up forcing entry into the van after the subject was uncooperative and unwilling to unlock the door.? The subject was placed into protective custody and transported to a local hospital for evaluation.? While at the local hospital, the subject's behavior escalated and officers evaluated for an emergency detention petition.? Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Missing Juvenile/Runaway – 7:36 p.m. Officers were dispatched to the 6400 block of Raymond Road reference a missing/runaway juvenile.? Dad reported that his son, (13-year-old MU) left home after he got in trouble for smoking marijuana near the Meadowood Library.? This missing juvenile has significant mental health issues, but no physical health issues. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Armed Robbery – 8:29 p.m.?A male suspect entered the Mobil gas station on the 600 block of Cottage grove Road wearing a dark hoody and mask. The suspect demanded money from the store employee and left with an undisclosed amount of money. Incident report on MPD's website completed. If anyone has knowledge of the incident they are encouraged to contact the Madison Police Department or the Madison area Crimestoppers program.
12) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 9:10 p.m. Officers responded to the 100 Block of N. Blair St. for a domestic disturbance.? The victim (29 year-old WF) made contact with the police after her boyfriend (30-year-old WM) was screaming and going through her belongings; tossing them throughout the apartment.? The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and a 72- hour no contact is in effect.? Investigation continuing.
13) CENTRAL: Mental Health Conveyance – 10:02 p.m. Officers responded to W. Main/Pinckney St. regarding a subject/suspect who was blocking traffic and yelling at pedestrians on the Capitol Square.? The suspect (61-year-old WM) was taken into protective custody and was ultimately conveyed to Winnebago under a petition for emergency detention.