The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 4/08/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 4/09/2019, MPD received 487 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 487 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (93), East (99), Midtown (84), North (77), South (44), West (53), and Other (37). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls starting from 4:06 p.m. to 8:14 p.m. on 4/8/2019 and from 4:41 a.m. to 7:26 a.m. on 4/9/2019 due to call volume and motor vehicle crash at John Nolen Drive.
1) NORTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 7:13 a.m. Officers responded to the 2000 block of Northport Dr for a report of a missing juvenile (17-year-old AAF). The juvenile was listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN: Fight Call – 8:35 a.m. Officers responded to the McDonald's on Regent St after a caller reported approximately 12 teenagers engaged in a brawl outside the business. Upon officers' arrival, the group dispersed immediately and attempts to gain any additional information from those leaving in different directions were unsuccessful. No victim(s) were identified at the time of this entry. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 10:23 a.m. Officers responded to East High School after staff called to report a student/suspect (15-year-old AAM) with a weapon. Upon the arrival of MPD, the suspect's backpack was searched and the facsimile weapon/bb gun was recovered. The suspect was taken into custody and charged with Possession of a Dangerous Weapon on School Grounds. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 10:29 a.m. A suspect (48-year-old AAM) who had probable cause for his arrest arrived at the Central Police District this morning. The suspect was arrested, taken to the Dane County Jail, and charged with Trespass, Disorderly Conduct, and two counts of Bail Jumping. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 11:10 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the MacArthur Rd. area to check on two toddlers who appeared to be unattended. Officers arrived and located a 3-year-old AAF and a 4-year-old AAM. The family was actively looking for the children when officers arrived. A check of the home was made and CPS contacted. At this time there are no charges and the children were returned to family. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Mental Health Conveyance – 11:10 a.m. Officers responded to The Beacon (615 E Washington Ave) for a subject (36-year-old NAM) who was experiencing suicidal ideations and requesting help. Officers met with the subject and conveyed him to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Drug Overdose – 2:12 p.m. Officers responded to the 3000 block of Darbo Dr for a suspect (32-year-old AAM) who overdosed on heroin. He was taken to a local hospital for observation and treatment. Once released, there is probable cause for the suspect's arrest for Possession of Heroin, Possession of a Schedule II Narcotic, and Bail Jumping. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 3:22 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a missing juvenile. Mom reported she last saw her daughter (14-year-old HF) when the daughter was dropped off at school. No medical or mental health needs were noted and the juvenile was entered as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Adult Arrested Person – 4:18 p.m. Officers responded to the South Transfer Point after a suspect (56-year-old WM) made comments of a sexual nature to a 14-year-old AAF. The suspect was arrested for Disorderly Conduct and Bail Jumping and transported to jail. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Assist MFD – 4:18 p.m. MPD and MFD assisted residents at 1202 McKenna Blvd after a contractor removed a load bearing wall causing the floor to sink in two different apartments. No one was injured and MFD is helping make housing arrangements for the displaced families. Press release completed on MFD's website. Investigation continuing and MFD has the lead.
11) SOUTH: Disturbance – 8:57 p.m. Officers responded to the McDonald's on S Park St to take a report from a victim (16-year-old WM) who advised three or four AAMs physically assaulted him and stole his fanny pack. Witness statements were taken from those on scene. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH – Adult Arrested Person – 10:18 p.m. A wanted suspect (40-year-old AAF) was taken into custody by Deforest Police on MPD's outstanding charges for Aggravated Battery and Recklessly Endangering Safety. DPD conveyed the suspect to the North Police District where MPD officers then completed the jail booking process. Investigation continuing.
13) SOUTH: Traffic Crash – 3:12 a.m. MPD responded to a traffic crash located on inbound John Nolen Drive and North Shore Drive. Responding officers found a single unoccupied vehicle that appeared to have rolled over multiple times. Officers looked for any potential injured parties and processed the scene for evidentiary value. Traffic had to be rerouted for a while. Investigation continuing. (Press release completed on MPD's website.)