The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/17/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/18/2019, MPD received 524 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 524 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (113), East (87), Midtown (71), North (85), South (48), West (88), and Other (32). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) WEST: Aggravated/Substantial Battery – 6:47 a.m. Officers responded to the 6700 block of Hammersley Rd. for a suspect (27 year-old AAF) who had physically assaulted a victim (24 year-old AAF) at a residential party. The suspect had hit the victim twice in the head with a liquor bottle. The victim went to the hospital for treatment of a swollen eye and a cut requiring stitches. Probable cause exists to arrest the suspect on a charge of substantial battery and a probation hold. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Burglary Residential – 9:16 a.m. Officers responded to the 700 block of Northport Dr. for a victim (75 year-old WM) whose house had been broken into. The suspect had taken the victim's wallet and car keys. The suspect then stole the victim's vehicle from the garage. The vehicle was later found by officers in a parking lot on Northridge Terrace. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Sex Offense Miscellaneous – 11:36 a.m. Officers responded to 701 E. Johnson St., Self-Serve Laundry, for a suspect (28 year-old AAM) who had exposed himself indecently to the patrons. The suspect was arrested and
4) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 12:47 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a deceased subject (77 year-old WM) who was found lying on the ground in his backyard. Medical-related issues are suspected as the cause of death. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: OMVWI Arrest/Intoxicated Driver – 4:36 p.m. Officers responded to Bram St. for a suspect (61 year-old WF) who had taken pills and nodded off while driving. The suspect had crashed into a parked vehicle, and MFD delivered naloxone to revive the suspect. The suspect was cited for Operating a Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated (OMVWI) (1st).
6) MIDTOWN: Information/Sexual Assault – 4:37 p.m. Officers responded to take a report from a victim (44 year-old WF), who advised that she had been touched inappropriately during a massage than one week ago. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 8:24 p.m. Officers responded to the bus stop at W. Mifflin St. and N. Carroll St. for a suspect (31 year-old WM) and victim (65 year-old AAM) who had gotten into an argument. The suspect had pulled out a knife and threatened the victim. Upon contact, the suspect was arrested and conveyed to jail on charges of disorderly conduct while armed, carrying a concealed weapon, and two counts of felony bail jumping.
8) WEST: Robbery Armed – 9:00 p.m. Officers responded to Monona Dr. to speak with a victim (44 year-old AAM) who reported being robbed a few days prior near Gammon Ln. The victim had withdrawn cash earlier in the day, and after visiting a relative, was approached by two suspects (AAMs, late teens to early 20s). When one suspect produced a handgun, the victim threw the money to the ground and was able to escape safely. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Information/Sexual Assault – 9:06 p.m. Officers responded to the 1500 block of McKenna Blvd. for a 28 year-old AAF subject reporting that she had been sexually assaulted by two known 41 year-old AAM and 51 year-old AAM subjects at their residence. The involved parties had conflicting stories, and no probable cause was found to arrest anyone at this time. The female subject refused a Forensic Nurse Examination (FNE). Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Attempted Burglary Residential – 1:59 a.m. Officers were dispatched to the 1300 block of Troy Dr. for a residential burglary in progress. Officers determined that entry hadn't been made into the residence, but a window had been broken. A K9 track was implemented, and officers found a golf cart with the keys still in it. A nearby car had also been egged, dented, and had the side mirror ripped off. Investigation continuing.