The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/20/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/21/2019, MPD received 615 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 615 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (138), East (124), Midtown (96), North (94), South (62), West (67), and Other (34). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 9:55am to 12:15pm and from 5:50pm to 6:20pm due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 5:15 a.m. Officers met with a victim (23-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a suspect (AAM) after a night out. Limited information known at this time about the suspect. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) EAST: Weapons Offense/Adult Arrested Person – 7:51 a.m. Officers responded to the 2600 block of Milwaukee St for a disturbance involving a knife between two subjects (18-year-old AAM victim and 17-year-old WM suspect). The subjects are known to one another and were reportedly involved in a disturbance on 9/19 (not reported to the police). The suspect observed the victim on 9/20 and confronted him. The victim punched and kneed the suspect, who pulled out a knife and slashed at the victim. The victim sustained superficial wounds. The victim gave a different explanation of how the events started. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 9:37 a.m. Officers responded to the 2400 block of Fish Hatchery Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (23-year-old AAM victim and 28-year-old AAF suspect). The subjects are siblings and were engaged in a verbal argument which then escalated. Both subjects were mutually involved in a physical disturbance which resulted in the victim's cell phone being broken. The suspect was arrested for domestic criminal damage to property and an outstanding warrant. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Disturbance/Arrested Juvenile – 9:48 a.m. The mother of a 15-year-old AAF juvenile/student went to her daughter's school to confront her about money taken out of mom's account. The mother suspected that her daughter spent the money on marijuana which could possibly be found in her daughter's backpack. The contact by her mother and an officer upset the juvenile to the point where the juvenile had to be restrained. Officers searched the juvenile's backpack and found cocaine. The juvenile was arrested, conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center and charged with possession of cocaine and resisting. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Check Person – 11:14 am. A subject (33-year-old WM) contacted police because he was having paranoid thoughts. When officers arrived at the subject's residence, the subject approached officers with a large butcher knife. The subject was safely taken into custody and was admitted to a local hospital.
6) WEST: Conveyance Mental Health – 1:52 pm. A subject (59-year-old WM) was threatening to kill friends and neighbors due to paranoid thoughts and was demonstrating other signs of mental illness. Officers responded to the subject's residence and placed him in protective custody. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital for evaluation before being transported to WMHI.
7) EAST: Assist Police – 2:08 pm. MPD officers assisted detectives from Walworth County in arresting a suspect (26-year-old UM) who was wanted for threatening a UW Whitewater officer and his family. Walworth County detectives arrested the suspect and transported him to Walworth County.
8) CENTRAL: Disturbance/Prostitution/Soliciting – 2:15 pm. Two subjects (35-year-old WF and 28-year-old WM) arranged to meet at a downtown parking ramp. Upon arriving, the male subject decided not to carry through with the encounter and tried to drive away. The female subject jumped into the back of the male subject's truck and began screaming. At the same time, callers to 911 were reporting hearing shots fired in the area, which turned out to be construction noises. The female suspect was arrested and cited for prostitution and the male suspect was arrested and cited for pandering. Investigation continuing.
9) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance/Drug Investigation – 3:57 pm. A subject (47-year-old AAM) contacted police when his daughter (13-year-old AAF), who was under house arrest, attempted to leave the residence. In order to create separation, the male subject agreed to leave the residence. Once he had left, the female subject led officers to her father's bedroom where officers located marijuana. The female subject also reported she was physically abused by her father. CPS was notified. The female subject was placed in a different residence due to safety concerns. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 5:31 pm. A victim (19-year-old WF) reported she was sexually assaulted by a suspect (23-year-old AAM) she met at a downtown location. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 5:35 pm. The brother of a subject (62-year-old WM) found the subject deceased in his residence. The subject had been sent home earlier in the day from work as he did not look well. There was nothing suspicious on scene. Medical examiner responded.
12) WEST: Threats Complaint – 11:00 pm. A victim (former MPD officer) reported being threatened while at the Point Cinema movie theater on Big Sky Dr. The victim reported several subjects appeared to be trying to bait him into fighting. No fight ensued and the victim left the area. The victim wished for the incident to be documented.
13) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 11:58 pm. A subject (35-year-old AAM) with mental health concerns was found lying on a sidewalk near a local hospital and was transported to the hospital. The subject left the hospital against medical advice and was standing in the middle of S Park St in traffic. The subject was placed in protective custody and transported to WMHI.