The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/23/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/24/2019, MPD received 543 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 543 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (102), East (106), Midtown (91), North (73), South (56), West (73), and Other (42). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 5:45pm-7:20pm due to calls for service.
1) WEST: Stolen Auto – 7:18 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a stolen vehicle. The vehicle was parked on the street and it is believed that the suspect(s) entered the unlocked vehicle, used the garage door opener to gain access to the garage/home, took keys to the vehicle and subsequently stole the vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Stolen Auto – 9:16 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a report of a stolen vehicle. The registered owner/victim (29-year-old UM) reported that keys may have been left in the vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Disturbance – 11:27 a.m. Officers responded to the 1400 block of McKenna Blvd for a subject (26-year-old AAF) "out of control". The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. A medical clearance was obtained. An emergency detention was sought and approved. The subject was subsequently conveyed to Winnebago.
4) WEST: Check Person/Mental Health Conveyance – 11:48 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence to check the welfare of a subject (28-year-old WM) exhibiting manic behaviors. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. MPD Mental Health Officer plugged in. Journey Mental Health consulted. The subject was left in the care of medical staff. No further action deemed necessary by officers at this time.
5) NORTH: Mental Health Conveyance – 2:43 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for a subject (37-year-old WM) in need of an emergency detention. Journey Mental Health plugged in. MPD Mental Health Officer assisted. The subject was admitted to a local hospital under an emergency detention order. No further action needed by officers at this time.
6) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense/Adult Arrested Person – 3:55 p.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of E. Main St for a disturbance between two subjects (34-year-old WM victim and 26-year-old WM suspect) involving a knife. The subjects were involved in a verbal argument over stolen alcohol. The suspect pulled out a knife and advanced toward the victim. The suspect left the area but was contacted by officers a few blocks away. A knife was located on the suspect. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct while armed, felon in possession of a weapon and a probation/parole hold. The suspect refused to provide a PBT (preliminary breath test) at the jail, so he was subsequently transported to detox.
7) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 5:24 p.m. Officers responded to the 200 block of N. Paterson St for a subject/victim (38-year-old WF) located by her boyfriend semi-conscious and "bloody". The victim made some vague statements about being sexually assaulted. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Disturbance – 5:40 p.m. Officers responded to the 5800 block of Balsam Rd for a fight involving 10-15 juveniles. It was reported that a gun was possibly involved. Subjects fled as officers arrived in the area. A victim (13-year-old WM) was located and he reported being punched in the face. It is believed that the gun involved was a BB gun. Investigation continuing.
9) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 7:52 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital for a subject (20-year-old WM) in need of an emergency detention. Journey Mental Health plugged in. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Check Person – 9:48 p.m. Officers responded to the 400 block of N. Frances St to check the welfare of a subject (21-year-old WM). The subject was contacted and showed signs of mental health issues. The subject was cited for trespassing and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. No legal grounds for an emergency detention. The subject was left in the care of medical staff. No further action by officers deemed necessary at this time.
11) EAST: Disturbance – 11:26 p.m. Officers responded to S. Stoughton Rd for a subject (48-year-old WF) causing a disturbance and refusing to leave the premises of a business. The subject was contacted, arrested and conveyed to jail to post on a citation. As officers pulled up to the jail, the subject banged her head in the squad which caused a laceration. EMS responded and conveyed the subject to a local hospital for treatment.
12) NORTH: Intoxicated Driver/Adult Arrested Person – 11:47 p.m. Officers responded, along with EMS/MFD, to the 2800 block of N. Sherman Ave for a subject/suspect (26-year-old WF) slumped over in a vehicle. The suspect performed poorly on field sobriety tests. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (1st offense) and a parole violation.
13) WEST: Intoxicated Driver/Cited Adult – 12:13 a.m. Officers responded to the 6400 block of Hammersley Rd for a crash. Officers located a driver/suspect (31-year-old HM) who struck a parked vehicle with his motorcycle. The suspect had significant road rash injuries. The suspect admitted to drinking. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was cited for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated (1st offense) and left in the care of medical staff.
14) EAST: Domestic Disturbance/Adult Arrested Person – 1:47 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (33-year-old AAF victim and 38-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. The victim reported being physically assaulted by her boyfriend/suspect. The victim went to stay with family members and officers disengaged. The suspect showed up at the address where the victim was and started another disturbance. The suspect fled but was located by officers where a traffic stop was conducted. The suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety, disorderly conduct while armed (3 counts), battery and a probation/parole hold (all domestic-related charges).