From 5:30 a.m. on 11/23/2017 through 5:30 a.m. on 11/24/2017, MPD received 219 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials.
1) EAST: Attempted Homicide (x2) - 5:34 a.m. **Continuation from yesterday morning's blog entry** Officers were sent to the 5300 block of Groveland Terrace for a fight in progress. While en route to the area, it was reported that shots had been fired. Initial investigation has revealed that three males had been in an altercation during which two of the males (27 year old AAM and 34 year old WM) sustained non-life threatening gunshot wounds to their lower extremities. One suspect (26 year old AAM) is in custody. The injured parties were conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. All three individuals were known to one another and it is believed there is no risk to the public. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Weapons Offense-Shots Fired - 11:22 a.m. Several callers reported multiple shots fired in the 1700 block of Onsgard Rd. Officers learned that there were several people involved and at least two people were armed with handguns. Officers located shell casings in the area. No one was reported to be injured, but there was property damage. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Death Investigation - 11:25 a.m. MPD was dispatched to Jenifer St for a death investigation. The decedent, a 67 year old WM, had a history of health problems. Medical Examiner responded and nothing deemed suspicious.
4) WEST: Death Investigation - 12:03 p.m. Officers were sent to Cricket Ln for a 50 year old WM who was found deceased. The deceased had a lengthy history of heart issues. Medical Examiner was called to the scene and nothing suspicious at this time.
5) WEST: Death Investigation - 1:27 p.m. Officers were called to Oakmont Dr, along with EMS, for a man who was found deceased by family members. The subject (83 year old WM) had a history of medical problems. EMS did attempt life-saving efforts, but he could not be resuscitated. Medical Examiner was called to the scene.
6) SOUTH: Conveyance/Emergency Detention - 4:30 p.m. Officers were called to Bayside for a client (53 year old WM) who was out of control and hitting things. Officers were able to dialogue and calm the situation. Officers learned that the suspect had been off his medication. Officers were able to get him to the hospital without incident, but once there he attempted to leave. He was detained and it was determined that an emergency detention was appropriate.
7) SOUTH: Drug Incident-Overdose - 5:46 p.m. Officers were called to the Kwik Trip on Fish Hatchery Rd for a man having seizures and turning blue. Officers arrived and found that it was a heroin overdose. The suspect (35 year old WM) was from out of town and had a family friend drive him to Madison, taking him to multiple gas stations, before this happened. Subject was transported to the hospital and is a MARI (Madison Addiction Recovery Initiative) candidate. He was issued the paperwork and a citation and was left at the hospital.
8) EAST: Missing Juvenile/Stolen Auto - 7:05 p.m. The caller (43 year old AAF) reported that she went to take a nap at around 4:30 pm. When she woke, she found that her son (14 year old AAM) was not at their residence (4700 block of Cottage Grove Rd) and neither was her car. He has taken the car before. An ATL (Attempt to Locate) was done and both the juvenile and car were entered into NCIC. Later in the day, the juvenile returned with the car, undamaged. Charges are pending.
9) WEST: Stolen Auto - 9:41 p.m. MPD was dispatched to a report of a stolen auto on Gladstone Dr. The caller reported they had started their vehicle and then went inside for approximately five minutes. Upon returning to their car, it was missing. Caller had no suspect information, and her purse with credit cards was inside the vehicle. The vehicle was entered as stolen and information aired via radio. Later in the shift, Fitchburg PD observed the vehicle and a pursuit ensued with the vehicle crashing near Churchill and Greenway View. A 14 year old AAM suspect/passenger was in the vehicle however the suspect/driver got away. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Assist EMS - 9:45 p.m. The mother of a 32 year old AAM subject reported that her son had overdosed on multiple medications, and was currently making a weapon out of a knife and hammer. Officers responded to the 6700 block of Schroeder Rd and after speaking with the mother, formulated a plan to contact the subject in order to attend to his apparent medical needs. Subject was uncooperative and attempted to push the door shut on officers. Subject eventually opened the door but held a baseball bat in a "hitting stance," swinging it and indicating he was ready to use it against officers. He refused to drop the bat from a short distance and officers used a 40mm launcher, striking the subject in his knee. Subject immediately dropped the bat and officers were able to take him into custody without further incident. Subject was transported to the hospital for treatment of his overdose, knee, and for a mental health evaluation.
11) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense-Shots Fired - 9:46 p.m. Two callers report hearing gunfire, with both placing it somewhere near the intersection of Baldwin and Spaight St. One caller reports hearing 15 shots while the other reports hearing five. Other pedestrians in the area were contacted who reported neither seeing nor hearing anything of the sort. Multiple officers checked the area on foot and in squads but were unable to locate anything of evidentiary value.
12) EAST: Adult Arrested Person - 10:41 p.m. The victim (43 year old WM) is aware that the suspect (27 year old WM) has some mental health issues and will be alone on Thanksgiving and offers to get together. They go out for a few drinks and dinner when the suspect starts behaving oddly, demanding the victim drive him to a relative's house or at least let the suspect stay with the victim for a longer period of time. They return to the victim's residence (on Jupiter Dr) and the suspect continues to act oddly, following him around the apartment and even following him outside when the victim attempts to distance himself. As they return back inside, the suspect pushes the victim down and places both hands on his neck, then switches to pressing on his neck with his elbow, impeding his breathing. The suspect eventually lets him up, and makes threats about killing him and his family. The victim is able to dial family members during the disturbance and police were notified. The suspect was later located at his residence and arrested without incident. The victim was taken to the hospital for an FNE exam.