The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/20/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/21/2019, MPD received 431 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 431 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (81), East (69), Midtown (76), North (68), South (50), West (67), and Other (20). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Limited crash response ended at 6pm on 2/20.
**Priority calls only 7:05pm-8:15pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 9:10pm-12:26am due to calls for service.
1) SOUTH: Armed Robbery – 6:37 a.m. Officers responded to PLS Check Cashing located at 1907 S. Park Street for a report of an armed robbery. Initially it was believed that two masked suspects, at least one of whom was armed with a gun, entered the store, demanded money and fled with cash. Surveillance photos shows three suspects, one of which was unmasked, entered the store. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 8:42 a.m. Officers responded to S. Park Street to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (UF). Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. The subject was not located. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Check Person – 9:24 a.m. Officers responded to Junction Road to check the welfare of a subject (24-year-old UF) after she did not show up to work. The subject was contacted at her residence. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Mental Health Conveyance – 1:19 p.m. Officers responded to Schroeder Road to check the welfare of a subject (29-year-old AAF) who was making suicidal and threatening statements. The subject was located, placed under protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The subject was admitted to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Disturbance – 2:14 p.m. Officers responded to East Towne Mall for a suspect (24-year-old AAM) believed to have been involved in a retail theft and was causing a disturbance. The suspect was contacted and was not cooperative. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to a local hospital for a medical clearance (due to concerns that he was under the influence of drugs). The suspect was subsequently transported to jail for charges of retail theft, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Information/Armed Robbery – 6:51 p.m. Officers responded to a motel in the 3500 block of E. Washington Ave and met with a victim (57-year-old AAM) who reported that two suspects (AAMs) forced their way into his room and assaulted him. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital with injuries (broken nose, lacerations, stitches and a concussion). Further investigation reveals that the victim had been given a ride earlier in the evening by an unknown AAM and AAF and that the purchase of drugs (marijuana) were discussed in that interaction Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Information/Weapons Offense – 8:44 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a subject/victim (23-year-old AAM) with a stab wound. The victim stated he was assaulted by three suspects (AAMs) at a bus stop. No scene was located. The victim's statement was inconsistent during his interview. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Armed Robbery – 8:52 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence where a victim (59-year-old WM) reported being robbed (wallet/cell) by two suspects (AAMs), one of which was armed with a gun. The victim stated that the suspects made statements about giving them "the cocaine." The suspects fled. No injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: Non-Residential Burglary – 10:33 p.m. Officers responded to Creekwood Lane for a commercial burglary alarm at a building that is under construction. Three suspects (40-year-old WF, 37-year-old WM and 30-year-old WF) were located during a sweep/clear of the area. The suspects were arrested for attempted burglary, attempted burglary (party to a crime) and possession of drug paraphernalia.
10) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 12:38 a.m. Officers responded to a central district residence for a deceased subject (20-year-old WM). Initial cause of death appears to be an intentional overdose (pills). Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.