The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 08/17/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 08/18/2018, MPD received 556 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 556 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (128), East (103), Midtown (79), North (76), South (45), West (78), and Other (47). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) WEST: Check Person – 9:18 a.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a potential suicidal subject (35-year-old WM). The subject was contacted and not deemed to be in any immediate need of assistance/evaluation/treatment. Officers did not have any legal basis to take the subject into protective custody. The subject was left in the care of his girlfriend. No further action by the police at this time.
2) NORTH: Information/Strong Armed Robbery – 11:55 a.m. A caller/victim (60-year-old WM) reported being robbed several weeks ago at Reindahl Park. The victim reported being approached by an AAM in the restroom of the park. The suspect took cash, a debit card and a cell phone from the victim. Investigation continuing.
3) WEST: Check Person – 12:16 p.m. Officers responded to the 6700 block of Schroeder Rd to check the welfare of a subject (22-year-old WF). A witness observed the victim with a hatchet in her hand superficially cutting herself. The subject was contacted, as was Journey Mental Health. Investigation continuing.
4) South: Arrested Person – 1:00 pm. MPD responded to the area of Waunona Woods Ct. to locate a wanted subject (22 year old AAM). Suspect attempted to flee officers on foot but was ultimately apprehended on Lake Point Dr. Suspect was arrested on the outstanding warrants. Investigation continuing.
5) Central: Runaway - 2:02 pm. A missing juvenile's grandfather reported his granddaughter as a runaway. The juvenile (15 year old WF) has a history of running away but usually returns on her own. ATL aired and listed in NCIC. Investigation continuing.
6) Midtown: Death Investigation - 2:50 pm. The deceased (71 year old WM) was found by his friend inside of his home. Decedent had stage 4 leukemia. Nothing suspicious. Medical examiner notified.
7) Midtown: Sexual Assault Investigation - 4:32 pm. Victim (21 year old AAF) was taken to UW Hospital for concerns that she was sexually assaulted. Victim has a developmental disability. A FNE (forensic nurse exam) was conducted. Investigation continuing.
8) North: Runaway Juvenile - 5:51 pm. A 15 year old AAF ran away from home. Subject has a history of running away. ATL aired, data bases entered.
9) West: Check Property - 6:04 pm. A caller reported a black Honda in the lot of West Towne Mall was occupied by an AAM who was seen scratching his head with what appeared to be a gun. The license plate provided was run by officers and it came back as stolen. Officers were able to locate the vehicle and stop it. An 18 year old AAM was identified as the driver. The gun turned out to be a pellet gun. No enforcement action taken at this time. Investigation continuing.
10) North: Domestic Disturbance – 9:49 pm. Officers were called to the Walgreens on East Washington Avenue by an anonymous person about two people arguing in the parking lot at this location. Contact was made with the victim (27 year old WF) who indicated her boyfriend (25 year old WM) left in their vehicle toward Meriter parking ramp and may be suicidal. The boyfriend/suspect was located by officers from the Midtown district in the vehicle on the top floor of a parking ramp and was contacted without incident. Investigation determined that in the initial domestic disturbance on East Washington Ave, the suspect sprayed lighter fluid on the victim to upset her. The suspect was arrested and taken to the Dane County Jail on the charge of domestic related disorderly conduct.
11) South: Crash - 10:22 pm. Officers were originally sent to a crash involving a motor vehicle and bike with unknown injuries. Upon arrival, the bicyclist (HM, unknown age) had superficial scratches and no major injuries. The vehicle driver (52 year old AAM) was still on scene and was cited for failure to yield right of way while making left turn and operating after suspension. The driver/suspect also had an active warrant and was taken to jail.
12) Central: Disturbance – 1:59 am. Officers downtown were advised of a fight occurring in the 400 block of W. Gilman Street. Upon arrival an active disturbance was occurring with multiple people. Officers located the victim (42 year old UM) who was knocked out. He was transported to the hospital where he received stitches for an injury. The limited description of the other person was only that it was an AAM wearing a red shirt. Witnesses indicated that the victim was complicit in starting the incident. Investigation continuing.