The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 10/04/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 10/05/2018, MPD received 500 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 500 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (83), East (85), Midtown (89), North (65), South (54), West (68), and Other (54). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 3:36pm-8pm due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 9:05 a.m. Officers responded to a central district residence to check the welfare of a subject (27-year-old WF). The subject was located deceased. Nothing suspicious identified on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Initial indicator of death is a medical event occurred. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Runaway/Missing Juvenile – 9:18 a.m. Officers responded to a school reference a student (13-year-old WM) who walked away from school grounds. Areas checked. K9 track conducted. The child was located safe. No further action by the police deemed necessary.
3) CENTRAL: Crash/Injury – 12:01 p.m. Officers responded to Langdon St at Henry where an intoxicated pedestrian (19-year-old WF) stepped into the roadway and was hit by the side mirror of a passing vehicle. The driver stayed at the scene and was cooperative. The pedestrian initially fled from the scene but she was located. She sustained non-life threatening injuries. The pedestrian/suspect was cited for sudden pedestrian movement.
4) SOUTH: Disturbance – 12:29 p.m. Officers responded to a local school for a report of a student (12-year-old WM) threatening staff with a scissors. The juvenile was contacted and detained without issues. The student's guardian and Journey Mental Health responded. The juvenile was subsequently arrested and taken to the Juvenile Reception Center for disorderly conduct while armed after consultation with everyone on scene.
5) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 3:11 p.m. Officers responded to a midtown district residence for a deceased subject (due to a self-inflicted gunshot wound). The decedent (76-year-old WM) was struggling with health issues and had prepared for his death. Medical Examiner's office responded. Nothing suspicious on scene.
6) SOUTH: Crash with Injuries – 5:02 p.m. Officers responded to a crash at S. Park St/Buick St. Two drivers/vehicles had the same signal at the intersection and struck each other. One driver (26-year-old AAF) suffered a fracture to her leg and was transported to a local hospital. The other driver (43-year-old HM) was cited for operating after suspension and no insurance.
7) MIDTOWN: Information/Child Abuse – 5:35 p.m. An officer was notified of a potential child abuse incident where a 5-year-old child was supposedly struck in the head by his father. The child's mother and father were contacted and denied the allegations. No injuries were observed on the child. Child Protective Services notified. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Check Person – 8:20 p.m. Officers responded to a local hospital after a parent left her 8-year-old child at the hospital. The child had been brought to the hospital by her mother who cited "behavior issues". The mother made statements about not being able to care for the child anymore and left the hospital. Child Protective Services contacted and they located a temporary placement for the child. Investigation continuing.
9) MIDTOWN: Armed Robbery – 10:35 p.m. Officers responded to the BP gas station on Verona Rd after receiving a report of an armed robbery with the use of a handgun. While responding, police were advised that an incident of shots fired had taken place on a nearby street of Whenona Way. It was determined that these two incidents were related. No subjects were on scene or located. No indication of any injuries. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Weapons Offense – 11:35 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a suspect shooting from a vehicle at another occupied vehicle (Whitney Way/Schroeder Rd). It appears that an innocent third party's vehicle (occupied by a 23-year-old AAF) was struck in a crossfire. The victim drove immediately to the West Police District where a bullet hole was located in her vehicle. The victim did not sustain any injuries. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Death Investigation – 1:42 a.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a deceased subject (76-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded.
12) EAST: Check Property – 2:45 a.m. Officers responded to Sycamore Ave for a report of a man with a gun in the caller's backyard. The caller hung up several times on the dispatcher. During one of the calls another voice could be heard in the background stating nothing was going on. Officers did not locate/identify any active disturbances. The caller was not cooperative with officers. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
13) SOUTH: Traffic Incident /Assist Outside Agency– 2:55 a.m. A stolen vehicle reported by another agency was observed on Rusk St. A traffic stop was attempted but the vehicle fled. Investigation continuing.