The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 11/02/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 11/03/2018, MPD received 511 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 511 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (91), East (119), Midtown (84), North (65), South (45), West (76), and Other (31). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority only calls started at 12:40pm due to calls for service and ended at 2:55pm.
1) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 5:07 a.m. Officers responded to E. Gilman St for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (35-year-old WM victim and 26-year-old WM suspect). The victim and suspect had an argument which resulted in the victim leaving the residence for several hours. He returned to find himself locked out. The suspect opened the door when the victim returned and struck him in the face/head. The suspect was arrested for domestic battery and disorderly conduct while armed.
2) NORTH: Disturbance – 9:06 a.m. Officers responded to Hayes Rd for an "out-of-control" subject/suspect (26-year-old AAM) destroying the residence. Officers contacted the suspect and located damage to the residence. The suspect lit a mattress on fire and a gun was confirmed to be in the home. The suspect was arrested and charged with domestic disorderly conduct, domestic criminal damage to property and arson. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Death Investigation – 10:56 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a deceased subject (46-year-old WM) at a local motel. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Death appears to be related to a medical event. Medical Examiner's office responded.
4) EAST: Weapons Offense – 11:37 a.m. Officers contacted a victim (18-year-old AAM) who reported that someone shot out the rear window of his vehicle as he was driving (no injuries reported). A suspect (16-year-old AAM) was identified and is an acquaintance to the victim. The victim and suspect have on-going tension/disputes between the two of them. The suspect is at large. A second occupant/victim (17-year-old UM) was also in the victim vehicle when the window was shot. Incident report completed on MPD's website. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Death Investigation – 11:51 am. Neighbor found a subject (61-year-old WM) down on the floor of his apartment. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded.
6) WEST: Sexual Assault - 12:05 pm. A victim (42-year-old WF) responded to the east district station to report a sexual assault that occurred at her workplace in July of this year. The victim did not want to pursue a complaint but needed a case number to file a complaint with WI DWD. The suspect (20-year-old WF) was not contacted at this time. Investigation continuing.
7) WEST/MIDTOWN: Fight Call – 12:11 pm Multiple officers from Midtown and West Districts responded to the area around West Towne Mall and adjacent areas due to reports of a large group of juveniles preparing to fight. MPD maintained a high visibility presence. No fights took place and no arrests were made.
8) EAST: Arrested Person/Assist Sheriff - 1:39 pm. Officers respond to Royster Oaks Dr to assist with the arrest of a suspect (28-year-old AAM) wanted by Poynette PD. The suspect was turned over to Columbia County Sheriff's Office.
9) WEST: Missing Adult - 2:48 pm. A 74-year-old WM subject's wife called police to report him missing. Multiple locations including hospitals were checked but the subject was not located. An ATL was aired and data base entries were made.
10) NORTH: Check Person - 4:11 pm. Officers made contact with a subject (48-year-old WF) who threatened to kill herself. She was transported to a local hospital and was voluntarily admitted.
11) WEST/CITY WIDE: Check Person – 12:14 am. West officers responded to meet with a caller who reported receiving suicidal text messages from a friend (female, UW student, unknown race). Janesville officers located the subject and checked her welfare. She was put in contact with mental health resources.
12) CENTRAL: Adult Arrest/Disturbance – 1:09 am. A caller observed a suspect (20-year-old UM) in the 400 block of W Washington Ave throwing blocks and chairs at a vehicle in a parking lot. Upon arrival, officers observed the suspect smashing a wooden chair into the windshield of a car. He had also knocked over a motorcycle. The car sustained significant damage and the motorcycle was also damaged. The suspect was taken to the DCJ on charges of felony and misdemeanor criminal damage and was also cited for underage drinking.
13) CENTRAL: Fight Call – 1:36 am. Officers responded to the Kelley's Market at 636 W Washington Ave for a report of a fight in progress involving 7 people. Upon officers' arrival on scene, the fight is over and the victim (28-year-old AAM) is found with a head injury. The victim and one of the suspects (19-year-old AAM) were issued misdemeanor disorderly conduct tickets. A second suspect (20-year-old WF) was issued a misdemeanor citation for DC While Armed. The two suspects were released, but the victim had a warrant and was taken to the hospital for a medical clearance. Once there, it was determined that the victim had a fractured arm. Officers attempted to locate the female suspect, who had been cited and released at the scene, but were unsuccessful. When located she will be physically arrested and charged with substantial battery. Investigation continuing.
14) EAST: Assist DCSO – 1:42 am. A caller to 911 reported a female wearing dark clothing in the middle of the road waving a cane at passing cars near the intersection of S Stoughton Rd and Pflaum Rd. The DCSO was first to arrive as they were doing a traffic grant in the area. The suspect (57-year-old WF) was found to be intoxicated and confrontational with officers. The suspect was arrested for obstructing as she refused to identify herself and fought with officers. She was transported to the Dane County jail. Investigation continuing.