The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/21/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/22/2018, MPD received 429 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 429 calls for service for the past 24 hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (69), East (81), Midtown (74), North (54), South (68), West (55), and Other (28). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:36am. Officers responded to a south side residence where the victim (35-year-old WF) reported the suspect (29-year-old WM) grabbed her and held her by her throat. The suspect was arrested on two counts of disorderly conduct (one domestic related) and taken to Dane County Jail. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Preserve the Peace/Adult Arrested Person – 11:42 am. The suspect (31-year-old AAM) arranged for a preserve the peace to retrieve his belongings from a residence on Moorland Rd where there is a restraining order against him. The suspect did not wait, however, for officers to arrive to assist him and he was arrested for bail jumping.
3) SOUTH: Theft – 12:00 noon. Officers responded to the Pick N Save at 1312 S Park St where the suspect (24-year-old WM) used the victim's (24-year-old WF) debit card without her permission. The incident was captured on video surveillance. The suspect was charged with identity theft. Investigation continuing.
4) WEST: Retail Theft – 1:04 pm. Officers responded to Kohl's at 7401 West Towne Way and apprehended two suspects (40-year-old AAF and 28-year-old WF) wanted for multiple retail theft incidents. Both suspects were charged with bail jumping and retail theft and taken to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 3:46 pm. An employee of a private refuse collection service (33-year-old WM) was emptying garbage on the 100 block of Langdon Street when he was shot with a BB or pellet gun, striking his right collarbone. The victim was treated for the injury. Officers checked the area and found BBs in the elevator of 616 Carroll St. Investigation continuing. An incident report was completed on MPD's website.
6) WEST: Sexual Assault – 4:04 pm. The victim (14-year-old AAF) notified the school resource officer at Memorial High School of unwanted sexual contact with the suspect (16-year-old AAM) while at school. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Weapons Offense – 8:44 pm. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a domestic disturbance. During an argument the suspect (29-year-old AAF) grabbed a knife and swung at the victim (30-year-old AAM), who sustained a cut to his hand. The suspect was arrested for 2nd degree recklessly endangering safety and conveyed to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 9:01 pm. The victim (58-year-old WF) at a residence on the west side called police because her husband (58-year-old WM) was intoxicated and threatening suicide. The suspect cut his throat with a box cutter and eventually collapsed. The suspect was admitted to a local hospital and charged with domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 1:21 am. The victim (30-year-old WF) at a residence on the west side called 911 following an argument with her husband/suspect (34-year-old WM). The suspect locked himself in a room where there was a hunting rifle and made statements about harming himself. The victim reported she was not threatened and did not see the suspect with the rifle. Officers were able to calm the suspect and cleared the scene after the suspect assured them he was not going to harm himself.
10) CENTRAL: Fight – 2:00 am. Officers witnessed a fight at W Gorham and N Broom St involving several subjects. A 25-year-old AAM suspect was seen throwing punches at a 23-year-old WM suspect. The WM suspect was released at the scene with a citation for DC. The AAM suspect was taken to the hospital and charged with DC, battery, resisting arrest, attempted battery to a police officer and discharging bodily fluids. A third suspect fled the scene and remains at large. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 2:02 am. Four callers reported hearing multiple shots fired in the area of E Johnson St and Fordem Ave. Officers checked the area and made contact with the callers. Investigation continuing.