Last December (2018) data to be explored - Theft from Autos –
We had the same number of theft from auto reports in December (2018) and December (2017) – 70 reported incidents.
Through the end of December (2018), our community experienced 1,180 reports of theft from autos. When looking at the past 4 years, the average is 1,345 theft from auto incidents citywide (results in a 13% decrease in 2018).
How are the theft from auto incidents occurring? –
- Approximately 14 of the incidents reported that some sort of force was used to access the vehicle
- Approximately 20 of the incidents resulted in the discovery that the vehicle was left unlocked
- Approximately 24 of the incidents revealed no force was used (unknown how the vehicle was entered; the registered owner believed the vehicle was locked)
Breakdown of these incidents per district –
- West: 10
- Midtown: 23
- South: 2
- Central: 9
- North: 10
- East: 16
**The provided stats are based upon the best data available at the time of publication.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/13/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/14/2019, MPD received 316 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 316 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (48), East (67), Midtown (48), North (45), South (32), West (58), and Other (18). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 8:48 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for an ongoing family dispute between two subjects (64-year-old AAM victim and 31-year-old AAM suspect). The victim is the suspect's father. The suspect has been causing problems lately and has threatened to kill his father on multiple occasions. On this date, the victim was armed with a handgun and was holding it at his side. The suspect threw his father to the ground, took the handgun and pointed it at his father's forehead. The suspect gave the gun back to his dad and left the residence. The handgun was loaded, but the chamber was clear. The suspect was contacted and arrested for domestic 2nd degree reckless endangerment and disorderly conduct (2 counts).
2) WEST: Stolen Auto – 9:29 a.m. Officers received a report of a stolen auto from the west side. The vehicle was left running and unoccupied (but the driver/victim – 39-year-old WM – had the key fob with him, thinking it would deter theft). Two suspects (AAMs) were observed taking the vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
3) NORTH: Staling Complaint – 10:05 a.m. Officers met with a victim (39-year-old AAF) who reported concerning behavior/stalking type behavior from her ex/suspect (42-year-old AAM). Probable cause was developed to charge/arrest the suspect. The suspect is at-large. Once located, the suspect will be charged with stalking, burglary and a previously pending charge of mistreating animals. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Information/Strong Armed Robbery – 10:57 a.m. Officers met with a victim (40-year-old WM) who reported being robbed by an unknown passenger in a cab around 2:30 a.m. The victim believed that the passenger and the driver of the cab knew each other. There was no documentation on the victim's app about requesting/obtaining a ride or paying for a ride. Delay in reporting of this incident. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 2:24 p.m. Officers responded to Acewood Blvd/Turquoise Lane for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (75-year-old AAM victim and 55-year-old WF suspect). Officers arrived in the area and the suspect was not cooperative. The suspect was taken into custody and charged with domestic disorderly conduct, possession of drug paraphernalia, resisting arrest and illegally possessing prescription medication.
6) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 3:13 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (17-year-old WF). Attempt to locate aired. No immediate safety concerns identified for the juvenile. The juvenile was listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Disturbance – 5:08 p.m. Officers responded to S. Marquette St for an out-of-control juvenile (13-year-old WF). The juvenile was conveyed to a local hospital, at the request of her parents, for an evaluation. The juvenile was subsequently voluntarily admitted to the hospital. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
8) EAST: Information/Armed Robbery – 7:22 p.m. Officers responded to a residential address on Dutch Mill Rd for a report of an armed robbery. The victims (43-year-old AAM and 40-year-old AAF) reported coming home from grocery shopping at which point they were approached by 4 suspects (AAMs), who were all armed. The suspects fled with cash. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Mental Health Conveyance – 7:24 p.m. Officers responded to Winnebago/S. Fourth St to check the welfare of a subject (45-year-old AAM) yelling and threatening to shoot someone. No weapons were reported being observed; no weapons were located. The subject was taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital. The subject was subsequently transported to Winnebago on an emergency detention order.
10) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 9:11 p.m. Officers met with a victim (49-year-old HM) who reported being robbed on Columbus Lane by an AAM suspect. The suspect fled with the victim's cell phone, wallet and cash. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Traffic Incident/Crash – 12:07 a.m. An officer attempted a traffic stop but the vehicle fled; MPD did not pursue the vehicle. A crash was reported at Swanton Rd/Stein Ave with the same vehicle. The vehicle was reported stolen out of Monona. No suspects were on scene. Investigation continuing.
12) EAST: Adult Arrested Person – 2:00 a.m. Officers took a wanted suspect (22-year-old AAM) into custody on Brandie Rd. The suspect was transported to jail without incident.