The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/17/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/18/2019, MPD received 323 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 323 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (46), East (80), Midtown (49), North (34), South (37), West (57), and Other (20). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Limited crash response due to calls for service/weather.
1) CENTRAL: Theft – 9:29 a.m. Officers responded to E. Dayton Street for a report of two subjects (WMs) pretending to offer shoveling services, but they were actually stealing items from porches. The subjects (30-year-old WM and 43-year-old WM) were contacted on Mifflin Street. The 30-year-old WM had stolen property on him and therefore he was arrested for theft and an extraditable larceny warrant from another state. The 43-year-old WM denied knowing what occurred, did not have any stolen property on him and was ultimately released from the scene. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Strong Armed Robbery – 10:40 a.m. Officers responded to a motel on Hayes Rd for a report of a robbery. The victim (40-year-old AAF) was contacted by an acquaintance/suspect (43-year-old AAM) while at work. The suspect confronted the victim, pulled/pushed her and hit her in the face. The suspect stole the victim's cell phone and fled the area. The suspect is at-large. Once located, the suspect will be charged with strong armed robbery. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Disturbance – 12:04 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a disturbance. It was reported that the suspect (16-year-old WM) was upset and damaging property in the home. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center and charged with disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property.
4) EAST: Drug Incident – 2:43 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on Dutch Mill Road for an unwanted subject/suspect (36-year-old WF). The suspect was found to be in possession of heroin and drug paraphernalia. The suspect was arrested for possession of heroin, possession of drug paraphernalia and a probation/parole warrant.
5) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 3:47 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on E. Johnson St for a domestic disturbance between three subjects (43-year-old WF victim, 15-year-old WF victim and 44-year-old WM suspect). The suspect rents an area of the home belonging to the victims. The suspect became upset and threatened the victims. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
6) EAST: Assist EMS/Fire – 4:25 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence, along with EMS/Fire, for a medical request assistance regarding a one-month old child. It was reported that the baby was having a hard time breathing and that his sibling had tripped over him causing a minor bruise to his head. The child was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment. The explanations of the injury were consistent and no concerns for the well-being/care of the child were substantiated. No further action deemed necessary by the police. The child was left in the care of medical staff/family and is doing well.
7) CENTRAL: Information/Suspicious Person – 4:46 p.m. Officers responded to N. Frances St for a report of a subject/suspect (29-year-old AAM) who was allegedly exposing himself to a victim (29-year-old WF). The suspect is at-large. Once located, the suspect will be charged with 3 counts of bail jumping. Additional charges may also be added. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 5:30 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a report of a stolen auto. It was also reported that a debit card that had been left in the vehicle had been used at a restaurant on Odana Road. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was entered as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Trespass – 6:29 p.m. Officers responded to the 7900 block of Tree Lane for an unwanted suspect (26-year-old AAM). The suspect had been previously banned from the property. The suspect was contacted and taken into custody for a trespass violation and a contempt of court warrant. The suspect was conveyed to jail.
10) SOUTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 8:11 p.m. Officers responded to S. Park St for a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (15-year-old UF). Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 8:59 p.m. Officers responded to E. Mifflin St for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (28-year-old AAF victim and 29-year-old AAM suspect). The couple were engaged in a verbal argument, which then escalated. The suspect slapped the victim. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct, domestic battery and misdemeanor bail jumping.
12) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 9:17 p.m. Officers responded to a residence in the midtown district for a domestic disturbance between three subjects (65-year-old WM victim, 32-year-old WF victim and 36-year-old WM suspect). The suspect went to his father's/victim's home with his three children due to some difficulties he was having. The father/victim contacted the children's mother/32-year-old victim and asked her to come get the children. An argument broke out and the suspect punched a wall in his father's home. The suspect also charged the female victim when she arrived as if he were going to assault her. No injuries were reported. The suspect was charged with domestic disorderly conduct and domestic criminal damage to property.
13) CENTRAL: Attempt to Locate Person – 11:29 p.m. Officers received a request to attempt to locate a suspect (36-year-old WM) who absconded from Huber. The suspect was located on Williamson Street and taken into custody on the outstanding warrant without incident.
14) EAST: Check Person – 3:26 a.m. Officers responded to Vernon Avenue where it was reported that a subject (58-year-old AAM) was shot at by a 54-year-old AAM. Officers made contact with the 54-year-old subject. No evidence of shots fired developed. The original caller's explanations were inconsistent. No charges have been substantiated at this time. Investigation continuing.