As spring approaches us (it will eventually come), and your spring-cleaning begins, take a look at the attached checklist that will help make sure you and your home are well-protected from being targets of crime(s). Over the next few days, additional safety/helpful tips will be shared with you. (Checklist)
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 02/24/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 02/25/2019, MPD received 358 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 358 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (62), East (77), Midtown (55), North (41), South (46), West (52), and Other (25). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Disturbance – 4:58 a.m. Officers responded to a hotel on Tradewinds Parkway for a report of a disturbance. Investigation revealed that a party had taken place in one of the hotel rooms and that there were noise complaints in the middle of the night. MPD was not called until the morning to report that the victim (30-year-old AAF) was physically assaulted by the suspect (24-year-old AAM). The victim has an active domestic abuse injunction against the suspect, which prevents him from having contact with her. Contact was made with the victim who was uncooperative. The suspect was not on scene. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect, once located, for violating the domestic abuse injunction order. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 5:51 a.m. Officers responded to the 1300 block of Northport Drive. Officers have been called to this residence five times since Friday evening for various issues. Officers made contact with the caller/suspect (61-year-old WF) who was intoxicated and reported that she had been battered by her neighbor. No evidence of any disturbance/assault/injuries. The suspect was arrested for misuse of the 911 system. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
3) WEST: Safety Hazard – 8:41 a.m. Officers responded to Pleasant View Road (between Mineral Point Road and Valley View Road) due to whiteout conditions and blowing/drifting snow caused by high winds. The road was closed down and officers remained on scene until traffic engineering responded with barricades. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
4) NORTH: Death Investigation – 10:11 a.m. Officers responded to a motel on Hayes Road for a report of a deceased subject (43-year-old WM). Initial indicator of death is suicide. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Traffic Incident – 12:58 p.m. Officers met with a victim (36-year-old WM) who reported that while he was driving on the Beltline (near Gammon Rd), an occupant from a vehicle that passed him shot paintballs at his vehicle. The victim had no description of the suspect and limited information on the suspect vehicle. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Domestic Disturbance – 5:53 p.m. Officers met with a victim (33-year-old AAF) who reported two domestic disturbance incidents involving the suspect (41-year-old AAM). The suspect was just released from jail for charges stemming from an incident with the victim in January. The suspect showed up at the victim's residence and was banging on the door. The suspect also went to the victim's workplace and threatened her. Suspect at-large. Once located, the suspect will be charged with domestic disorderly conduct and bail jumping (3 counts). Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 7:49 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (50-year-old WM victim and 25-year-old WM suspect). The suspect is the victim's son. The suspect was drinking, became upset at his dad and caused property damage in the home. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
8) NORTH: Assist MFD/Fire Investigation – 8:03 p.m. Officers responded, along with MFD, to the 3500 block of E. Washington Avenue for a food cart on fire. The fire was contained and no other property was damaged. MFD has the lead on this investigation. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 8:43 p.m. Officers responded to the area of Sunfish Court for reports of shots fired. No evidence of shots fired located. Additional canvassing may be necessary during daylight hours. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Missing Adult – 9:59 p.m. Officers received a report of a missing adult (55-year-old WM). Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. The subject was entered as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person/OMVWI – 10:16 p.m. Officers responded to the area of S. Fifth Street and Winnebago Street for a report of a vehicle stuck on the railroad tracks. Officers located the vehicle and the driver/suspect (51-year-old AAM). The suspect was believed to be under the influence and was not able to perform field sobriety tests. Drug paraphernalia was located on the suspect. The suspect was subsequently arrested for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated. Additional charges also pending. Investigation continuing.
12) SOUTH: Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 10:26 p.m. Officers responded back to Sunfish Court (see #9 above) for a report of shots fired again. A single casing was located on the porch of a residence. No injuries or property damage reported at this time. Investigation continuing.