The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 3/31/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 4/01/2019, MPD received 316 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 316 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (46), East (65), Midtown (58), North (53), South (29), West (50), and Other (17). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only East and North from 11:30-12:30 on 3/31/2019 due to interstate crash.
1) CENTRAL: Residential Burglary – 6:35 a.m. Officers responded to the 1200 block of E Washington Ave after a victim (48-year-old WM) called to report his bicycle stolen from the enclosed parking garage where he lives. Surveillance video from the parking garage will be reviewed. Investigation continuing.
2) WEST: Residential Burglary – 8:36 a.m. Officers responded to a residence after a victim (42-year-old HF) and her husband discovered their garage had been broken into and one of their cars stolen along with some personal property. No suspect information. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Assist Outside Agency – 11:20 a.m. Wisconsin State Patrol requested traffic assistance related to a multi-vehicle crash with a fatality and serious injuries that occurred on I94 just to the west of the Hwy N (Cottage Grove) exit. Officers assisted until approximately 12:30pm.
4) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 1:00 p.m. Officers responded to the 5800 block of Raymond Rd after a neighbor called to report a disturbance in a neighboring apartment. The suspects (32-year-old AAM and a 29-year-old AAF) were arguing and the female suspect armed herself with a kitchen knife. Upon officers' arrival, the 32-year-old AAM was arrested for Resisting along with an outstanding warrant. The 29-year-old AAF was arrested for Domestic Disorderly Conduct While Armed and both were taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Disturbance – 7:07 p.m. Officers responded to the 1000 block of Moorland Rd to take a report from a victim (33-year-old AAF) who was strangled by a suspect (32-year-old AAF) known to her. The suspect is at large at this time. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 7:18 p.m. A victim (20-year-old WF) called 911 to report her boyfriend/suspect (25-year-old AAM) threatened to shoot her with a handgun and had battered her over the past few days. Officers arrived to Whitman Ln and called the suspect out of the residence and took him into custody without incident. The suspect was taken to jail on numerous charges including: Possession of a Firearm by Felon, Battery, Strangulation, 2nd Degree Recklessly Endangering Safety, False Imprisonment, and Intimidation of a Victim. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH – Domestic Disturbance – 8:46 p.m. Officers responded to the 1700 block of Northport Dr after a victim (22-year-old AAF called police reference a disturbance with the suspect (28-year-old AAM) where the suspect struck the rear driver side window of the victim's car; shattering the window. The suspect fled prior to police arrival. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Assist EMS/Fire – 9:06 p.m. Officers were dispatched to 8302 Old Sauk Rd for a subject (31-year-old WM) who was found unconscious and suffering what appeared to be a seizure. Nothing suspicious was found after searching the scene and interviewing staff. The subject was transported to a local hospital where he was admitted for treatment.
9) CENTRAL: Child Neglect – 2:11 a.m. Officers were called to a residence on W Main St where a young child (21-month-old AAM) was found alone in the elevator at 2:11am. The child was taken to a local hospital to be evaluated as a precautionary measure. Further investigation revealed this child and other young siblings (3-year-old AAM, 5-year-old AAF, and 7-year-old AAM) were left alone in their apartment for several hours. Mother/suspect (29-year-old AAF) was contacted and interviewed. CPS contacted. Investigation continuing.