Today's quarterly review examines robberies.
For the first quarter, the City has seen an increase in robberies when comparing 2019 totals to the previous four years of data. Most recently, during the first quarter of 2019, there were 62 reported robberies compared to the 47 reported robberies in 2018. (This has resulted in a 32% increase when side-by-side comparisons are made with first quarter 2018/first quarter 2019.)
When running the most recent monthly numbers (March/2019), the City experienced 17 robberies; looking back to March of 2018, there were 5 reported robberies. This means that when doing a side-by-side comparison of March 2019/March 2018, there was a 240% increase. (A 5-year average of March robberies is 12.4).
Robberies by Police District (1st Quarter/2019):
Year-to-date, 52% of the robberies have occurred between 6pm-midnight.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 04/04/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 04/05/2019, MPD received 494 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 494 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (70), East (116), Midtown (93), North (74), South (41), West (61), and Other (39). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
1) SOUTH: Traffic Incident – 8:37 am. A truck struck a utility pole near the intersection of W Broadway and Hoboken Rd, bringing down live power lines. MPD and Monona PD assisted with setting up a perimeter and directing traffic until Traffic Engineering responded and set up barricades. Incident report completed on MPD website.
2) WEST: Check Person – 9:52 am. Journey Mental Health staff and MPD officers responded for a subject (44-year-old WM) creating a disturbance in the 6200 block of Raymond Rd. The subject was taken into protective custody and was transported to Winnebago (WMHI).
3) EAST: Death Investigation – 10:07 am. An employer contacted the mother of a subject (30-year-old WM) who had not shown up for work. The mother went to her son's residence and found him deceased. The subject had a long history of drug use. Nothing suspicious found on scene. Medical examiner responded.
4) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 10:27 am. Officers responded to a west side residence where a victim (77-year-old WF) reported her grandson/suspect (35-year-old WM), who has mental health issues, was causing a disturbance. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct and criminal damage to property. The suspect was placed in protective custody and transported to WMHI after being evaluated at a local hospital. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 10:30 am. Officers responded to a residence on Swanton Rd for a parent who reported her daughter (15-year-old HF) had not shown up to school that morning. Appropriate data base entries were made. Investigation continuing.
6) MIDTOWN: Sex Offense Misc – 12:08 pm. Officers responded to the Park Regent medical building at 1 S Park St for a victim (31-year-old AAF) who reported a suspect (29-year-old AAM) had been sitting across from her desk engaged in inappropriate sexual behavior. The victim confronted the suspect who fled. Officers apprehended the suspect later in the downtown area and arrested him for lewd and lascivious behavior. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Weapons Offense – 12:52 pm. A victim and suspect (both 42-year-old AAMs) engaged in an argument at a residence on Darbo Dr. The suspect punched the victim in the face and then stabbed him in the bicep. The suspect fled before officers arrived and remains at large. Officers developed probable cause to arrest the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct while armed and 1st degree reckless injury. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 4:03 pm. A subject (19-year-old AF) seeking mental health services at a local hospital was unable to obtain inpatient care as no beds were available citywide. After a consultation with Journey staff, a determination was made that the subject would be placed under an emergency detention and conveyed to WMHI.
9) SOUTH: Recovered Stolen Auto – 4:06 pm. Officers spotted a vehicle that was reported stolen on 4/3/19. A traffic stop was conducted and the driver/suspect (51-year-old WF) was arrested and charged with operating a motor vehicle without consent. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Traffic Crash – 4:07 pm. Officers responded to the 3700 block of Sherman Ave where a vehicle traveling northbound on Sherman Ave drifted over the center line and struck an oncoming vehicle head-on. Both drivers (60-year-old WF and 60-year-old AM) were transported to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Investigation continuing.
11) EAST: Retail Theft – 5:54 pm. An officer observed a vehicle belonging to a suspect (38-year-old WM) wanted for retail theft. The officer stopped the vehicle and positively identified the driver as the suspect. The suspect was arrested for felony retail theft and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 6:19 pm. A mother reported her daughter (14-year-old AAF) missing when she did not return home from school that day. Appropriate data base entries were made. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 10:00 pm. A father/victim (38-year-old WM) and son/suspect (22-year-old AM) were arguing when the suspect punched the victim in the face. The suspect was charged with domestic battery and disorderly conduct and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Check Area – 1:49 am. Officers were dispatched to the 600 block of University Ave to monitor the large crowd after bar time. No incidents or disturbances were reported.
15) EAST: Assist EMS/Fire – 2:36 am. Officers responded to the Sumo Steakhouse at 1745 Parkside Dr for reports of the smell of smoke and haze in the air. An active fire was discovered and MFD responded. MFD has the lead on the investigation.
16) SOUTH: Check Person – 3:20 am. Officers responded to a residence on Post Rd for reports of a subject (28-year-old AAF) sending suicidal text messages to family members. Officers are attempting to locate the subject. An ATL was aired. Investigation continuing.