The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 05/02/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 05/03/2019, MPD received 500 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 500 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (106), East (85), Midtown (61), North (81), South (48), West (69), and Other (50). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 4:24pm to 5:20pm and from 6:20pm to 8:15pm due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Missing Adult – 5:26 am. Officers were requested to locate and check the welfare of a subject (29-year-old HF) who made suicidal statements to family and friends. The subject was last seen in the area of East Towne Mall. Investigation continuing. * This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) NORTH: Recovered Stolen Auto – 9:48 am. WI State Patrol inspectors noticed a vehicle traveling about 20 mph on I-94 approaching Madison. The vehicle was listed as stolen by Town of Madison PD. The vehicle was last seen on E Washington Ave at Hwy 30 traveling inbound. An MPD sergeant was out with the State Patrol inspectors on E Washington Ave near East High School when the suspect vehicle drove past them and onto the sidewalk in front of the school. Three suspects attempted to flee from the vehicle. Two of the suspects (13- and 14-year-old AAMs) were quickly apprehended while a third suspect (17-year-old AAM) fled to the area near Wirth Ct where he was finally detained. The 13-year-old suspect was found wearing a court-ordered GPS ankle bracelet related to a different stolen auto charge. WI State Patrol had charges for all three suspects. MPD charged the third suspect with resisting arrest. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
3) NORTH: Check Person – 10:18 am. Officers responded to the 1000 block of Northland Dr where a husband reported his wife (27-year-old AAF) threatened to harm herself. The subject was voluntarily transported to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Substantial Battery – 1:53 pm. Officers responded to Madison College at 1701 Wright St where a suspect (21-year-old WM) hit a victim (19-year-old WF) in the chin with an umbrella, cutting the victim's chin and chipping a tooth. The suspect was arrested for substantial battery and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Information/Sex Offense Misc – 3:02 pm. Officers responded to a residence where a cognitively disabled subject (20-year-old WF) informed her mother about sexual contact she had on two occasions with a known subject (UM). The mother believes her daughter did not consent to the contact. Investigation continuing.
6) SOUTH: Assist EMS/Fire – 3:03 pm. Officers assisted MFD in the 2200 block of Luann Ln where a vehicle in an underground garage started on fire with a large amount of smoke. Officers provided traffic control on scene. MFD has the lead in the investigation.
7) WEST: Juvenile Arrest – 6:20 pm. An officer in the 5700 block of Raymond Rd observed a suspect vehicle involved in a disturbance earlier in the day in the 2200 block of E Johnson St. The earlier disturbance involved the East High SRO following up on an incident where one of the students was victimized. At 6:20pm while the officer was making contact with the suspect vehicle at the Meadowood shopping mall, the driver/suspect put the vehicle in reverse and struck the squad car parked behind it. All five occupants of the suspect vehicle were taken into custody. One suspect (16-year-old AAM) was charged with 2nd degree reckless endangering safety. Another suspect (18-year-old AAM) was charged with possession of THC and MDMA (ecstasy) and bail jumping. There was outstanding probable cause to arrest a third suspect (14-year-old AAF) for a previous robbery and passenger OMVWOC, and another charge was added for possession of marijuana with intent to deliver. Two other subjects were released after questioning. Investigation continuing.
8) EAST: OMVWI – 7:09 pm. Officers responded to the T intersection of Milwaukee St and Crystal Ln where a vehicle continued northbound on Crystal Ln across Milwaukee St and hit the curb. A witness statement, officer observations and evidence located in the suspect vehicle indicated the suspect had recently used heroin. The suspect (33-year-old WM) was arrested for OWI 3rd offense. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Child Abuse – 8:50 pm. Officers responded to a local hospital for a victim (3-year-old AAM) with bruises on multiple parts of his body. Officers developed probable cause to arrest the mother/suspect (38-year-old WF) for physical abuse of a child and took the suspect to jail. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 11:56 pm. A resident/victim (58-year-old AAF) in the 5000 block of Milwaukee St reported someone shooting at the residence. Investigation revealed 3-4 shots were fired in succession through the living room window. None of the residents was injured. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
11) CENTRAL: Fight Call – 12:25 am. Two suspects (22-year-old AAF and 22-year-old AAM) engaged in a physical fight at Wando's at 602 University Ave. The male suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and trespassing and was taken to jail. The female suspect was cited for disorderly conduct and released. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 1:50 am. Staff at the Double U bar on University Ave reported a suspect (18-year-old AAM) causing a disturbance. The suspect shoved an employee/victim (21-year-old WM) before leaving the establishment. Officers located the suspect outside Ian's Pizza at 319 N Frances St where he struck a victim (20-year old AAF) in the head. The suspect was taken into custody and charged with disorderly conduct, battery, resisting arrest and multiple city ordinance violations related to alcohol consumption. Investigation continuing.