The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 05/14/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 05/15/2019, MPD received 554 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 554 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (102), East (98), Midtown (103), North (71), South (63), West (73), and Other (44). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 9:55am to 2:00pm due to calls for service.
1) NORTH: Assist EMS/Fire - 4:11 am. MPD responded to an active fire in the 2900 block of Hoard St. Officers assisted with traffic control and scene security. MFD has the lead on the investigation. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) MIDTOWN: Missing Adult – 5:37 am. A family reported a subject (86-year-old WM) with Alzheimer's missing from the residence. The subject was located in Minnesota at 8:25a. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
3) NORTH: Substantial Battery – 7:18 am. A known suspect (31-year-old AAM) followed the victim (38-year-old WF) in her vehicle to the Job Center at 1819 Aberg Ave. Upon pulling into the parking lot, the suspect exited his vehicle and punched the victim who was seated in her vehicle until a security officer approached to intervene. The suspect fled the scene. The victim was transported to the hospital. Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect for substantial battery and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Robbery – 9:30 am. Officers responded to Old National Bank at 2929 N Sherman Ave for a robbery. Officers detained the suspect (32-year-old WM) who was located on foot in the area nearby. The suspect was charged with theft from a financial institution. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
5) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 12:21 pm. Avis car rental reported a suspect (36-year-old AAF) did not return a vehicle due on 5/2/19. Vehicle information was entered in appropriate data bases. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Battery – 1:45 pm. A former tenant (51-year-old AAF) and landlord (57-year-old WM) argued about a security deposit assessment over the phone. The former tenant and her son/suspect (33-year-old AAM) then drove to the landlord/victim's property on Columbus Ln at which point the suspect punched the victim in the face. The suspect fled the scene before officers arrived. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Check Person – 7:28 pm. A subject (13-year-old WM) left his group home and staff followed him until officers could detain him. The subject was placed in protective custody and transported to WMHI.
8) NORTH: Fight Call – 8:20 pm. Twice this evening officers responded to the Northport apartments for a large group of juveniles fighting in the complex. The fights were over before officers arrived on scene. Investigation continuing.
9) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:19 pm. The suspect (28-year-old AAF) arrived intoxicated at a residence in the 1900 block of Northport Dr and became upset upon finding the victim (36-year-old AAF) also at the residence. The suspect attempted to start a fight with the victim who then left and contacted police. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Traffic Crash/Adult Arrested Person – 10:39 pm. While investigating a crash at Hwy 30 and N Stoughton Rd, officers discovered the suspect (36-year-old AAM) to be in possession of a firearm and drug paraphernalia. The suspect was arrested for felon in possession of a firearm and possession of drug paraphernalia. At the jail the suspect was discovered to have drugs concealed on his person and was additionally charged with possession of cocaine with intent to deliver, and possession of controlled substances. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Traffic Stop/Adult Arrested Person – 3:24 am. Officers stopped the suspect (34-year-old AAM) at W Johnson St and N Bassett St for driving a vehicle with numerous equipment and registration violations. In addition to being cited for the violations, the suspect was found to have warrants and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.