The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/02/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/03/2019, MPD received 543 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 543 calls for service for the past 24 hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (123), East (82), Midtown (71), North (75), South (70), West (67), and Other (55). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 4:50pm to 5:40pm, 6:15pm to 10:15pm, and 4:50am to 6:30am due to calls for service.
1) SOUTH: Strong Armed Robbery – 5:29 a.m. Officers met with a victim (16-year-old HM) who reported being robbed of his cell phone on Todd Drive. The victim stated he arranged to meet a subject who wished to purchase the victim's cell phone. The victim stated a male grabbed the cell phone from him and started to run away. The victim ran after the suspect and punched the suspect. A second subject/suspect, whom the victim had not previously seen, punched the victim in the face. The two suspects fled in a vehicle. Incident report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) SOUTH: Strong Armed Robbery – 12:44 p.m. Officers responded to the 2700 block of McDivitt Road and met with a victim (54-year-old WF) who reported being robbed by two suspects (AAMs). The victim was attempting to enter her residence when the two suspects approached her, pushed her against a wall, grabbed items she was holding and fled on foot. K9 track attempted. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
3) CENTRAL: Check Person/Mental Health Conveyance – 1:36 pm. Officers contacted a subject (60-year-old WF) involved in a disturbance the day before who had left the scene. Due to mental health concerns, the subject was placed in protective custody and transported to WMHI.
4) NORTH: OMVWI – 1:46 pm. A passerby observed a subject (57-year-old WF) in the driver seat of a parked vehicle in the area of Kedzie St and Coolidge St who appeared intoxicated. The passerby contacted police and engaged in small talk with the subject/suspect until police arrived on scene. The suspect was arrested for OMVWI 1st offense. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 2:20 pm. Kennedy Heights management observed two suspects (16- and 17-year-old AAMs) inside a vacant apartment and contacted police. Officers contacted the 17-year-old suspect who attempted to flee but was apprehended after a short foot pursuit. The suspect was arrested for trespass, resisting arrest and bail jumping. The other suspect was not contacted. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 2:27 pm. The victim (48-year-old WF) returned home from work to find her husband/suspect (59-year-old WM) intoxicated. The suspect proceeded to yell and throw things in the apartment. Officers responded and arrested the suspect for domestic disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 6:09 pm. Officers responded to the 2800 block of Foxwood Trl for a report of shots fired. Several area residents reported hearing multiple gunshots. Officers located shell casings in the area. Officers canvassed the area but at this time there are no reported injuries and no reports of damage to property. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: OMVWI – 7:13 pm. Witnesses reported seeing a vehicle crash into a light pole in the area of the beltline and Old Sauk Rd. Officers arrived on scene and contacted a suspect (27-year-old AAM) who was arrested for OWI and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
9) EAST: OMVWI – 9:44 pm. Staff at Culver's on East Towne Blvd contacted police for a customer/suspect (56-year-old WM) who scraped the side of the building while driving through the drive-thru and appeared intoxicated. Officers arrived on scene and the suspect was arrested for OWI 7th offense and taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Runaway Juvenile – 10:09 pm. The mother of a subject (15-year-old WF) contacted police to report her daughter had run away. The subject was listed as a missing/runaway juvenile. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: Drug Overdose – 11:52 pm. Security staff for a motel found a subject (41-year-old HM) unresponsive in the motel hallway. MPD officers arrived on scene and administered naloxone and revived the subject. MFD paramedics transported the subject to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Check Person – 3:51 am. Officers responded to the parking ramp in the 300 block of N Frances St for a suicidal subject (25-year-old AAM). MPD negotiators talked the subject down from a ledge and the subject was placed into protective custody and taken to a local hospital.