The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/22/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/23/2019, MPD received 529 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 529 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (111), East (99), Midtown (63), North (82), South (62), West (78), and Other (34). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 8:13am-8:35am (on 8/22) due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only started at 4:22am (on 8/23) due to the homicide on Darbo Drive.
1) SOUTH: Traffic Incident – 6:13 a.m. Officers responded to Fish Hatchery Rd/Plaenert Drive for a power line down. Traffic lanes closed down and traffic diverted. MG&E responded. MPD assisted with traffic control. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
2) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 9:01 a.m. Officers responded to La Crescenta Circle for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (43-year-old AAM and 20-year-old AAM). The 43-year-old subject and his wife (40-year-old AAF) were engaged in a verbal argument when their son (20-year-old AAM subject) intervened and got into a physical altercation with his father. The two male subjects/suspects were found to be mutually responsible for the altercation. The father/suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with domestic battery. The son/suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with domestic disorderly conduct.
3) EAST: Death Investigation – 9:49 a.m. Officers responded to a motel on the east side for a deceased subject (55-year-old WM). The decedent had numerous health issues. Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 5:01 p.m. Officers responded to James Madison Park for a report of a stabbing. The victim (44-year-old WM) received a non-life threatening stab wound after he was involved in an altercation with a known associate (unidentified AAM). The victim was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. The victim was not fully cooperative with officers. The victim, who was intoxicated, has an outstanding warrant from another county. The victim was left in the care of medical staff and hospital will notify PD when the victim is ready for release. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 10:43 p.m. Officers responded to the Kwik Trip in the 3500 block of E. Washington Ave and the Walgreens in the 3700 block of E. Washington Ave regarding an assist EMS request and a weapons violation. Investigation revealed that an altercation had taken place between two subjects (30-year-old AAF victim and 41-year-old AAF suspect). The subjects are known to each other. The victim reported being threatened by the suspect and that a physical altercation ensued. The victim sustained non-life threatening injuries. An edged weapon and pepper spray were used in the altercation. The suspect was arrested for 2nd degree reckless endangering safety. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
6) CENTRAL: Check Person – 11:21 p.m. Officers responded to the 600 block of W. Main St to check the welfare of a subject (50-year-old WM) who was reportedly bleeding. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital where he advised officers he had been physically assaulted at his residence. It is believed that the subject is suffering from mental health issues. It is unknown at this time if an altercation actually took place. The subject gave officers permission to temporarily take firearms from his home for safekeeping. Journey Mental Health consulted. Investigation continuing. **After being released from the hospital the subject called police around 8:59pm to report that someone was inside his home attempting to take things. The subject was contacted and found to have a significant injury to his foot. The subject was placed into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital. MPD Mental Health Officer plugged in. The subject was subsequently admitted to the hospital for observation/treatment. An emergency detention may be sought. Investigation continuing.
7) CENTRAL: Check Person – 11:49 p.m. Officers responded to S. Hamilton St to check the welfare of a subject. The caller (33-year-old AAM) was concerned about his friend as he was not able to make contact with her (20-year-old WF) and had observed blood at her residence. Contact was made with the female who was overall uncooperative. No charges have been substantiated at this time. No further action found necessary by officers.
8) CENTRAL: Drug Incident/Adult Arrested Person – 2:18 a.m. Officers were alerted to a vehicle/occupants in the Lake Street parking ramp who were attempting to sell drugs. Contact was made with the vehicle/occupants and a consent search was conducted. The suspect (25-year-old AAM) was cooperative with officers but also lied about his identity. The suspect was arrested for two outstanding warrants and obstructing. While at jail, concealed drugs were located on the suspect which resulted in additional charges for the suspect – possession of marijuana, bail jumping and a probation violation.
9) EAST: Homicide – 4:16 a.m. MPD responded to the 3000 block of Darbo Drive where a 30-year-old female subject/victim was located bleeding. Lifesaving measures were attempted but not successful. It has been determined that the 30-year-old subject/victim died of homicidal violence. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.