The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 5:00 a.m. on 08/21/2018 through 5:00 a.m. on 08/22/2018, MPD received 491 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 491 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (73), East (84), Midtown (89), North (78), South (47), West (79), and Other (41). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority only calls from 4:30am-5:10am due to calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Battery – 6:56 a.m. Officers responded to take a report from a victim (58-year-old AAM) who reported waking up and believing he had been assaulted. The victim provided information on a potential suspect (AAM) with whom he had been engaged in an argument with on the previous night. The victim sustained visible injuries. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Information/Sexual Assault – 10:20 a.m. Officers responded to meet with a victim (23-year-old WM) who reported being sexually assaulted by a known suspect (22-year-old AAM). The victim was conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. The suspect was contacted and subsequently arrested for obstructing, bail jumping (2 counts) and outstanding warrants. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:44 a.m. Officers responded to the 4700 block of Cottage Grove Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (21-year-old AAF victim and 23-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect went to the victim's residence and kicked in the door when the victim refused to open the door. The suspect threatened to break the victim's phone as she was attempting to call 911. The suspect fled. Once located, the suspect will be charged with domestic disorderly conduct, criminal damage to property, intimidation of a victim and felony bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 3:48 p.m. Officers responded to the 1800 block of Northport Dr for a report of a stolen auto. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
5) WEST: Death Investigation – 4:20 p.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a deceased subject (69-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious identified on scene. The decedent had multiple health issues. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Drug Incident/Overdose – 6:13 p.m. Officers responded to E. Washington Ave for a subject (21-year-old AAF) experiencing an overdose (pills). The subject was conveyed to a local hospital and left in the care of medical staff. No charges have been substantiated. Investigation continuing.
7) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 8:57 p.m. Officers responded to Monterey Dr for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (43-year-old WF victim and 47-year-old WM suspect). The suspect threatened to kill his wife/victim and had a knife in his possession. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct while armed.
8) CENTRAL: Assist MFD – 9:20 p.m. Officers, responded to assist MFD, with a vehicle fire on N. Pinckney St. MFD has the lead on this investigation. MPD provided perimeter support and traffic direction.
9) NORTH: Non-Residential Burglary – 12:22 a.m. A suspect (38-year-old AAF) entered a business and took a keybox with 20+ vehicle keys/dealer plates. The suspect then stole a vehicle and crashed it in Sun Prairie. The suspect was arrested by Sun Prairie PD and processed as an intoxicated driver. MPD developed probable cause to also charge the suspect with burglary and operating a motor vehicle without consent. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Check Area – 12:33 a.m. Officers responded to concerning sounds (i.e., an explosion) in the area of W. Washington/Bedford. Officers checked the area and no concerns were identified.
11) CENTRAL: Check Person – 3:41 a.m. Officers responded to W. Main St for a suicidal subject (21-year-old HM) who called police and stated he had a loaded gun. Officers/negotiators responded to dialogue with the subject. The subject was ultimately taken into protective custody and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation. Journey Mental Health plugged in. The subject's "gun" was recovered and identified as a realistic looking pellet gun. Investigation continuing.