The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 12/02/2018 through 6:00 a.m. on 12/03/2018, MPD received 283 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 283 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (51), East (57), Midtown (42), North (44), South (29), West (43), and Other (17). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) CENTRAL: Check Person – 6:49 a.m. Officers responded to Fordem Ave after the caller reported that his brother (28-years-old WM), who suffers from mental health issues, had jumped out a 3rd story window and his whereabouts were unknown. Areas checked. The subject was located by Maple Bluff Police Department and conveyed to a local hospital for an evaluation/treatment of non-life threatening injuries. The subject is connected to community resources. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
2) NORTH: Check Person – 10:11 a.m. Officers responded to a north side residence after the caller/homeowner reported that an unknown subject (23-year-old WF) was knocking on their door screaming and crying. The subject was contacted and found to be intoxicated. The subject was placed into protective custody and conveyed to Detox.
3) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:20 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence to attempt to locate a suspect (48-year-old WM) who had a probation hold. The suspect was not located. Officers later discovered that the suspect jumped out a window when officers arrived, fled and returned after officers left. The suspect caused a domestic disturbance/property damage involving his girlfriend/victim (51-year-old WF) and fled again. Officers located the suspect in a vehicle and conducted a traffic stop. The suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct, criminal damage to property (2 counts) and a probation hold.
4) EAST: Death Investigation – 1:50 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (95-year-old WF). Nothing suspicious observed on scene. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 5:30 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence after a caller advised they were hiding outside because someone was threatening to shoot them. Officers arrived and made contact with two subjects/suspects (25-year-old AAF and 33-year-old AAM). The suspects were determined to be "flopping" at the residence and an argument took place over a debt owed for drugs. The suspects were arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
6) NORTH: Check Property – 6:08 p.m. Officers responded to N. Sherman/Northport Dr after several callers reported hearing gunshots. An officer was in the area and reported that the sounds were fireworks. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
7) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 9:42 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on Todd Drive for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (20-year-old AAF victim and 24-year-old AAM suspect). The subjects were verbally arguing when the suspect smashed the victim's phone. The suspect prevented the victim from leaving the residence. The suspect physically assaulted the victim. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct, battery, false imprisonment, criminal damage to property, strangulation (all domestic-related charges) and bail jumping.
8) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 10:04 p.m. Officers responded to a residence on Moorland Rd for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (51-year-old AAF victim and 59-year-old AAM suspect). The suspect struck the victim in the head with a bottle as the victim was asleep. The suspect also punched the victim. The suspect was not on-scene when officers arrived. Once located, the suspect will be charged with domestic battery and domestic disorderly conduct.
9) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense – 12:11 a.m. Officers responded to the 300 block of Brearly St after receiving multiple calls of shots fired. Officers located multiple shell casings in the area. An unoccupied residence on Williamson St was struck by two rounds. Subsequent callers to dispatch reported that an AAM suspect shot at a vehicle. No injuries were reported. A 29-year-old AAM victim contacted dispatch to advise that he, along with his vehicle, had been shot at. The vehicle was found to have been struck by at least one bullet. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Strong Armed Robbery – 12:19 a.m. Officers responded to a restaurant on W. Gorham St for a robbery. The suspect (21-year-old AAF) entered the business and demanded free food. The suspect proceeded to threaten staff, cause property damage and ultimately fled with cash. The suspect was located and arrested for disorderly conduct and strong armed robbery.
11) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 1:00 a.m. Officers met with a victim (34-year-old WF) who wished to report a sexual assault that occurred a few days ago. The suspect has not been fully identified at this time. Investigation continuing.