We continue to look at data from December (2018), today with Shots Fired.
There were 14 reports of shots fired in December. In December (2017) there were also 14 reports of shots fired. There was a total of 186 shots fired calls in 2018. In 2017, there were 220 shots fired calls (15.5% decrease in 2018).
More information on the incidents from December (2018):
- There were four reports of property damaged from shots fired (65 year-to-date)
- The incident at Vision's in December left four subjects shot/ricocheted* (31 subjects struck year-to-date)
- Officers recovered 31 casings (534 year-to-date)
- Central District reported the most incidents (5), followed by North/West (3 each), East (2), South (1) and Midtown (0).
*Suspect in this incident was arrested
**The provided stats are based upon the best data available at the time of publication.
The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/07/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/08/2019, MPD received 386 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 386 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (67), East (73), Midtown (53), North (54), South (44), West (64), and Other (31). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
1) EAST: Crash with Injuries – 10:20 a.m. Officers responded to Eagle Crest Drive/Hazelcrest Drive for a single-vehicle crash. The driver (82-year-old HM) lost control of the vehicle and struck a tree. The passenger (83-year-old HF) was conveyed to a local hospital with minor injuries. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Adult Arrested Person – 12:03 p.m. A suspect (54-year-old WF) turned herself into the North District due to violating a harassment order (suspect had an outstanding warrant for this). The suspect was taken into custody and conveyed to jail.
3) WEST: Information/Check Property – 12:51 p.m. Officers responded to Muir Field Rd and met with a victim (22-year-old WF) who reported an invasion of her privacy by a roommate (21-year-old WM). Probable cause was developed to arrest the suspect for invasion of privacy. Additional charges may be forthcoming. Investigation continuing.
4) CENTRAL: Missing Adult – 1:08 p.m. Officers were asked to check the welfare of a subject (23-yaer-old HM). Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. Phone pinged. The subject was not located. The subject was listed as missing in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
5) MIDTOWN: Armed Robbery – 2:56 p.m. Officers responded to Orange Tree Imports at 1721 Monroe St for an armed robbery. The suspect (WF) entered the store, displayed some sort of weapon (taser or handgun) and fled with cash/merchandise. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Assist EMS/Fire – 5:06 p.m. Officers, along with MFD, responded to the 1400 block of Delaware Blvd for a report of an unconscious driver in a vehicle that was stopped in the middle of the road with an alarm sounding. The subject (40-year-old WM) was administered Naloxone and conveyed to a local hospital where it was discovered that he suffered from a medical event. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
7) MIDTOWN: Battery – 5:39 p.m. Officers responded to a battery report between several subjects (18-year-old AAF suspect, 18-year-old AAM suspect and 24-year-old WF victim). A verbal argument took place between the AAF suspect, who is a caregiver to the victim. The argument escalated and the suspect pushed the victim and struck her multiple times with a glass bottle. The AAM suspect became involved and also physically assaulted the victim before fleeing the residence. The AAF suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct, aggravated battery and obstructing (lied about her identity). Once located, the AAM suspect will be charged with aggravated battery, burglary and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
8) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 8:45 p.m. Officers responded to the 1100 block of Williamson St for a domestic disturbance. The suspect (27-year-old NAM) was involved in a disturbance with his friend (37-year-old WM) when the friend's girlfriend/victim (24-year-old AAF) attempted to intervene. The victim was restrained and her phone was broken in the process. It was also reported that the suspect pulled a knife on his friend. No injuries were reported. The suspect and his friend left the residence prior to police arrival. All three subjects are roommates. Investigation continuing.
9) SOUTH: Weapons Offense – 8:55 p.m. Officers responded to a south side residence for a report of a subject/suspect (18-year-old AAM) who was upset and armed with handguns. The suspect was contacted and detained. No firearms were located. No charges were substantiated. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
10) NORTH: Armed Robbery – 10:12 p.m. Officers responded to Kelley's Mobile convenience store at 2601 Shopko Drive for an armed robbery. The suspect (AAM) entered the store with a handgun and fled with cash. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.