The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/11/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/12/2019, MPD received 410 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 410 calls for service for the past 24 hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (58), East (65), Midtown (63), North (75), South (61), West (60), and Other (28). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
*Priority calls only from 5:55p – 7:05p due to calls for service.
1) MIDTOWN: Death Investigation – 9:44 a.m. Officers responded to N. Brooks St for a report of a deceased subject (72-year-old WM). The decedent had multiple health issues. Nothing suspicious observed. Medical Examiner's office notified.
2) NORTH: Assist Law Enforcement – 10:08 a.m. Dispatch aired information that came in reference concerns of a school bus driver who had been at a convenience store and smelled of alcohol. The Wisconsin State Patrol reported that the bus was at Madison College and requested assistance. MPD responded and found the bus empty, but the driver/suspect (60-year-old WF) nearby. The Wisconsin State Patrol arrived and took over the investigation, which subsequently did lead to an arrest of the suspect. The Wisconsin State Patrol has the lead on this investigation.
3) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 11:40 am. A subject (47-year-old MEF) called 911 to report a physical disturbance with her husband (37-year-old AAM). Officers responded to the 2200 block of Luann Ln but were unable to establish probable cause for any crime. No further action deemed necessary by police.
4) EAST: Traffic Incident – 12:10 p.m. An officer observed a stolen auto near Spaanem Ave/Linda Vista Drive. A traffic stop was about to be initiated when the driver accelerated away. The officer did not pursue the vehicle. The vehicle was last observed on E. Broadway and was occupied by the driver and at least one other subject. The vehicle was reported stolen out of Sun Prairie on 1/5. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 1:51 pm. Dispatch received a call for a subject (55-year-old AAM) who became unresponsive. Madison Fire responded and administered Narcan. The subject was transported to the hospital. Upon release from the hospital, the subject will be arrested on a probation hold.
6) EAST: Drug Incident Overdose – 2:06 pm. Dispatch received a call for a subject (38-year-old WM) who became unresponsive in the 2900 block of E Washington Ave. MPD responded, assisted by a Dane County sheriff's deputy passing by, and administered Narcan. The subject was transported to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Check Person – 5:35 pm. A subject received a call from an intoxicated family member (51-year-old NAM) who said he was suicidal. Officers contacted the subject on Cypress Way and transported him to detox.
8) CENTRAL: Check Person – 5:55 pm. A subject (20-year-old AAF) called 911 reporting she was on the bridge over the Yahara at Winnebago St and Thornton Ave and was suicidal. Officers responded and placed the subject in protective custody. The subject was transported to Winnebago Mental Health Institute.
9) EAST: Disturbance – 7:54 pm. An MPD officer working at East Towne Mall observed a suspect (30-year-old WF) creating a disturbance. The suspect refused to leave the scene and was arrested for disorderly conduct, trespassing and resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Trespass/Disorderly Conduct – 9:09 pm. Officers responded to the 4900 block of Camden Rd regarding a suspect (32-year-old NAM) who was walking around the complainant's house and then made entry to the residence. The suspect was arrested for criminal trespass to dwelling, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Fight Call – 11:27 pm. Officers were dispatched to a report of a fight in progress in the Lake Street parking ramp, 415 N Lake St. As the suspect vehicle was fleeing the scene, it nearly hit the victim (59-year-old MW). A passenger/suspect (23-year-old WM) from the suspect vehicle exited and a verbal confrontation ensued between the victim and suspect. The suspect then punched the victim multiple times in the face and head as the victim attempted to leave. The suspect was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct and was transported to the Dane County Jail. Investigation continuing.
12) CENTRAL: Intoxicated Person – 12:21 am. Officers responded to Whiskey Jacks Saloon at 552 State St for a report of a patron/suspect (29-year-old WM) who had been asked to leave the bar but was refusing. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and was taken to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
13) WEST: Child Neglect – 1:42 am. An argument broke out between a subject (34-year-old WF) and an intoxicated suspect (26-year-old WF) outside the suspect's residence on Flower Ln. The suspect drove away and was arrested a short while later by Middleton PD. Meanwhile the subject on Flower Ln was locked out of the residence where the one-year-old child of the suspect had been left alone. Middleton PD processed the OMVWI arrest and Madison police added charges of felony child neglect. CPS was notified. A safety plan was put in place for the child who was well taken care of. Investigation continuing.
14) EAST: OMVWI – 2:10 am. Officers were dispatched to the 200 block of Swanton Rd for a man passed out in a vehicle. Officers found the suspect (32-year-old AAM) slow to wake and smelling of intoxicants in the running vehicle. The suspect was arrested for 5th offense OWI and operating while revoked. The suspect was transported to the DCJ. Investigation continuing.
15) SOUTH: Disturbance – 2:57 am. Officers responded to Baird St for a disturbance involving loud music, screaming, alleged/apparent drug dealing and people fighting. An MPD officer arriving on scene observed a suspect (24-year-old AAF) physically aggressing on another female. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.