The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 01/23/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 01/24/2019, MPD received 387 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 387 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (64), East (85), Midtown (75), North (50), South (26), West (46), and Other (41). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Limited-crash response from 6:10am-12:45pm due to the weather/calls for service.
1) EAST: Missing/Runaway Juvenile – 11:28 a.m. Officers responded to a report of a missing/runaway juvenile (14-year-old WM). The juvenile has a history of running away. Areas checked. Attempt to locate aired. The juvenile was listed as missing/runaway in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
2) NORTH: Check Person/Assist EMS – 1:02 p.m. Officers responded, along with MFD/EMS, to the 2100 block of E. Mifflin St for a subject (66-year-old WM) needing medical attention. The subject passed out as he was clearing snow. The subject has a history of health concerns. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
3) WEST: Check Person – 1:15 p.m. Officers responded to Schroeder Rd to check the welfare of a suicidal subject (54-year-old AAM). The subject was transported to a local hospital where he was voluntarily admitted. No further action deemed necessary by the police.
4) NORTH: Stolen Auto – 1:49 p.m. Officers responded to a north side residence reference a suspect (32-year-old AAM) who stole his ex-wife's/victim's (41-year-old WF) vehicle. The suspect was contacted and he returned the vehicle. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle without consent (OMVWOC).
5) NORTH: Check Person/Assist EMS – 7:06 p.m. Officers responded, along with MFD/EMS, to a report of a male subject slumped over in a vehicle in the 1300 block of Northport Drive. A MPD detective was in the area and stopped to check on the subject. The subject woke up and backed into the detective's squad. The detective was thrown to the ground as the subject/vehicle took off. Investigation continuing.
6) NORTH: Check Property – 10:30 p.m. Officers responded to the 3500 block of E. Washington Ave to check the welfare of a subject/suspect (17-year-old AAM). The suspect was located with a realistic BB gun. The suspect was arrested for unlawful use of a facsimile firearm (the suspect ran away from home twice on this date and this was also the second time he was in possession of a BB gun).
7) CENTRAL: Death Investigation/Drug Overdose – 10:39 p.m. Officers responded to a report of a deceased subject (24-year-old AM). The decedent had a history of drug use. Evidence of drug use was present. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Check Person/Assist EMS – 1:05 a.m. Officers responded, along with MFD/EMS, for a pulseless non-breathing subject (31-year-old AAM) at a west side residence. The subject was conveyed to a local hospital with a pulse. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Death Investigation – 1:18 a.m. Officers responded to a west side residence for a deceased subject (39-year-old WF). Drug evidence was located in the decedent's vehicle. Medical Examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.