The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 03/29/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 03/30/2019, MPD received 508 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 508 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (92), East (112), Midtown (95), North (75), South (45), West (54), and Other (35). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 12:00 midnight to 2:00am due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Drug Incident Overdose – 8:02 am. Officers responded to an east side residence for a possible drug overdose. During an argument, a subject (26-year-old WM) told his girlfriend he had overdosed on his prescription medication. Upon the arrival of MFD paramedics, the subject told them he had taken only the prescribed amount. The subject was alert, aware and able to answer questions. No police action was deemed necessary.
2) EAST: Assist Police – 9:30 am. MPD officers assisted Monona and McFarland police in locating and checking a suicidal subject (26-year-old WM) at Days Inn on E Broadway Service Rd. The subject had not shown up for work and had sent a suicidal text message to family members.
3) EAST: Assist Police – 12:48 pm. The Dept of Criminal Investigation (DCI) requested MPD's assistance with a traffic stop in the area of Eagan Rd and East Towne Blvd. Officers provided supplemental security for DCI agents at the scene.
4) NORTH: Drug Incident Overdose – 12:16 pm. Officers responded to Portage Rd for a suspect (33-year-old WM) who had overdosed on heroin. MFD paramedics revived the suspect with naloxone. The suspect was arrested for possession of heroin and a probation hold. Investigation continuing.
5) SOUTH: Traffic Crash w/ Injuries – 2:22 pm. Officers were dispatched to 2121 S Park St for a motor vehicle vs pedestrian collision. The driver of the vehicle (61-year-old AAM) struck the pedestrian (37-year-old WF) while making a left turn out of the Villager parking lot. The pedestrian sustained a broken arm. Officers received conflicting statements from the involved parties and witnesses. Investigation continuing.
6) WEST: Disturbance – 2:44 pm. Officers responded to the 7900 block of Tree Ln where two suspects (31-year-old AAF and 35-year-old AAF) were arguing in the lobby of the building. Both suspects were arrested for disorderly conduct. Investigation continuing.
7) SOUTH: Sexual Assault – 4:36 pm. Officers responded to a south side residence where a suspect (24-year-old WM) sexually assaulted a victim (28-year-old WF). The victim had recently ended a relationship with the suspect. The victim attempted to leave but the suspect physically restrained her and took her phone. Probable cause was developed to charge the suspect with 2nd degree sexual assault, false imprisonment, intimidation of a victim, and disorderly conduct. Suspect is at large. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto/Juvenile Arrest – 7:46 pm. A suspect (14-year-old AAM) got into a vehicle which the victim (18-year-old WM) had left running in the parking lot of Memorial High School. The suspect crashed the car in the parking lot and fled on foot to a residence in the 7000 block of Tree Ln where he was taken into custody. The suspect was charged with operating a motor vehicle without consent and conveyed to JRC. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Check Area/Mental Health Conveyance – 11:39 pm. Officers responded to Pilgrim Rd for a suspect (23-year-old HM) who was attempting to enter residences in the area. Officers located the suspect who has a lengthy history of mental health issues. The suspect was transported to a local hospital for an evaluation.
10) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 11:47 pm. Officers responded to the 200 block of N Ingersoll St for reports of shots fired and made contact with a suspect (33-year-old AAM) who had sustained a blunt force injury to the head. Officers located evidence of shots fired. The suspect was charged with 2nd degree reckless endangering safety. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.