The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 4/11/2019 through 6:00 a. m. on 4/12/2019, MPD received 425 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 425 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (92), East (65), Midtown (61), North (72), South (42), West (57), and Other (36). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only South and West Districts on 4/11/2019 from 7:22 a.m. to 10:40 a.m. due to staffing issue and multiple search warrants requiring assistance by patrol officers.
**Priority calls only 7:00 p.m. to 8:40 p.m. on 4/11/2019.
1) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault – 3:48 a.m. A victim (45-year-old AAF) called to report a sexual assault that happened a week ago. The suspect and victim know one another. The victim reported the suspect (54-year-old AAM) groped her and tried to force the victim to perform oral sex. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
2) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 7:44 a.m. Officers responded to the Salvation Army (630 E Washington Ave) when a reported fight broke out among multiple individuals staying at the shelter. No injuries were sustained by any involved party. While talking to officers, one contact (21-year-old WF) reported feeling suicidal which resulted in her being conveyed to a local hospital. After evaluation it was decided there was no need for an emergency detention. No charges will be filed in relation to this incident.
3) NORTH: Information/Assist Outside Law Enforcement – 12:42 p.m. A DCSO deputy attempted to stop a vehicle that was reported stolen yesterday morning by Sun Prairie PD. The suspect vehicle traveled at a high rate of speed through the north side of Madison and caused a non-injury crash at Pennsylvania Ave/Third Street. Maple Bluff PD took the lead on the traffic crash investigation. Investigation continuing.
4) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:56 p.m. Officers responded to a residence in the 2400 block of Brentwood Pkwy when what started as a verbal argument became physical. The suspect (23-year-old AAF) strangled the victim (26-year-old AAF) and broke a window. The suspect was arrested for Domestic Disorderly Conduct, Strangulation, and Criminal Damage to Property. Investigation continuing.
5) CENTRAL: Battery – 1:37 p.m. Officers responded to take a report from a victim (15-year-old AAM) who reported he was jumped by four AAMs near the intersection of 4th St and Winnebago St. The suspects punched him in the face, causing his braces to cut his lip. Investigation continuing.
6) EAST: Sexual Assault – 2:14 p.m. Officers responded to East High School to take a report of a sexual assault. The victim (15-year-old AAF) reported to the SRO that she was assaulted by two male students (known to her). The East High School principal and MMSD Chief of Security were notified. Both suspects (two 15-year-old AAMs) have been arrested. One suspect will be charged with 2nd Degree Sexual Assault of a Child and the other suspect has tentative charges pending. Investigation continuing.
7) WEST: Information/Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 10:16 p.m. Madison Police Officers were dispatched to the 7900 block of Tree Lane on the west side of Madison. Approximately six shots were heard to the area southeast of 7900 Tree Lane. The area was checked and nothing was located at this time. (See the press release completed on MPD's website.)
8) SOUTH: Check Person – 12:00 a.m. An officer was doing follow up in an attempt to locate a missing woman (45-year-old AAF) and her son (4-year-old AAM). A phone ping was conducted and an officer on the east side was able to locate both individuals. Numerous community resources were plugged in to provide support for the woman and child and their missing status was removed.
9) CENTRAL: Non-Residential Burglary – 12:03 a.m. Madison Police officers were dispatched to the Sylvee (25 South Livingston St), originally for a trespass complaint. An employee saw two people in the building that did not belong there. When police officers arrived on scene to investigate, the suspects had items on them that belonged to the business. The two suspects were arrested for burglary and taken to the Dane County Jail. (See the press release completed on MPD's website.)
10) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 12:28 a.m. Officers responded to a residence on Schroeder Rd after staff at the nearby BP gas station reported a victim (37-year-old WF) was punched in the face by a suspect (41-year-old AAM). The suspect was located and later arrested on charges of Domestic Battery, Domestic Disorderly Conduct, and a probation hold. Investigation continuing.