The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 06/24/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 06/25/2019, MPD received 522 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 522 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (95), East (99), Midtown (86), North (70), South (55), West (69), and Other (48). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 7:10pm-7:40pm due to calls for service.
1) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 12:53 a.m. Officers responded to Packers Avenue for a domestic disturbance (24-year-old AAM suspect, 26-year-old HM suspect and 23-year-old WF victim). The victim and HM suspect are in a relationship and an argument between the three subjects broke out. The two suspects forcibly removed the victim from the residence by dragging her down a flight of stairs. Minor injuries were sustained. The HM suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and battery (domestic-related charges). The AAM suspect was arrested for battery. *This call did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to technology issues.
2) EAST: Death Investigation – 5:48 a.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a report of a deceased subject (76-year-old WM). The decedent had sustained a fatal self-inflicted gunshot wound. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing. *This was a late call that did not make the previous 24-hour cycle call notes due to officers being involved at the scene and reports from the field were not yet typed.
3) EAST: Domestic Disturbance – 8:22 a.m. Officers responded to Vernon Avenue for a disturbance between two subjects (24-year-old AAF victim and 28-year-old AAF suspect). The suspect and victim reside together and got into a verbal argument, which then turned physical. The suspect pushed and shoved the victim. There was a shouting match in the street amongst family/friends. A primary aggressor was identified and the suspect was arrested for domestic disorderly conduct.
4) NORTH: Check Person – 11:02 a.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a subject (29-year-old WF) at her residence on East Bluff. There were concerns for the subject due to current drug use. The subject was contacted and found to have several pending warrants. The subject was taken into custody on the warrants and conveyed to jail.
5) NORTH: Non-Residential Burglary/Stolen Auto – 12:06 p.m. Officers met with a victim (27-year-old HF) who reported that her vehicle was stolen from the parking lot of her workplace on N. Sherman Ave. The victim also reported that other items were missing from inside her workplace. No signs of forced entry. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Exposure – 12:46 p.m. Officers responded to a laundromat on N. Bassett Street reference a subject (74-year-old WM) who had no pants/underwear on. The subject explained he was washing his clothes and waiting for them to be done. Since the subject did not have a permanent address and indicated he was planning to leave town soon, he was taken to the jail to post on his indecent exposure citation.
7) NORTH: Recovered/Stolen Auto – 1:25 p.m. Officers responded to E. Johnson St/N. Seventh St reference a female subject passed out in a vehicle. The vehicle was found to be stolen out of Iowa County. The female subject was awake when officers arrived and the driver/suspect (35-year-old AAM) had walked away. The suspect was located nearby. He was arrested for operating a motor vehicle without consent and a probation/parole hold. Investigation continuing.
8) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 1:27 p.m. Officers responded to Ann Street for a report of a stolen auto. The keys to the vehicle were left in another vehicle which was unlocked. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was entered as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing.
9) WEST: Information/Child Enticement – 2:00 p.m. Officers met with a juvenile (15-year-old WF) and her mother who reported two suspicious subjects (WMs) who approached the juvenile asking if she wanted a ride. Investigation continuing.
10) WEST: Recovered/Stolen Auto – 4:20 p.m. Officers observed a stolen auto on Alison Lane. Officers approached the driver/suspect (17-year-old AAM) who fled on foot when he observed officers. The suspect was apprehended, arrested and charged with operating a motor vehicle without consent and resisting.
11) EAST: Death Investigation – 4:43 p.m. Officers responded to an east side residence for a deceased subject (43-year-old WF). The decedent had a history of huffing. Evidence was found that shows the decedent recently purchased canned air. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
12) WEST: Disturbance – 5:46 p.m. Officers responded to West Towne Mall regarding a disturbance. The victims stated that a suspect (AAF), who they denied knowing, ran up to them, brandished a knife and "maced" them for no reason. The suspect was not located. The victims were sprayed with something but it was not confirmed to be mace. Inconsistent explanations provided by the victims. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 5:55 p.m. Officers responded to the McDonald's on Dryden Drive for a report of a male subject (AAM) with a gun. The subject was showing a gun to a group of 10-15 juveniles. No threats were reportedly made. Officers approached the subject who reached for his waistband and took off running with another subject. The two subjects (16-year-old AAM and 18-year-old AAM) were apprehended. A gun was not recovered. K9 track conducted. Investigation continuing.
14) NORTH: Domestic Disturbance – 10:44 p.m. Officers responded to the Red Roof Inn on Hayes Road for a domestic disturbance between three subjects (35-year-old AAF victim, 23-year-old AAM victim and 41-year-old AAM). The three subjects reside together and got into a verbal argument. The two victims heard a loud pop and observed the suspect with a knife puncturing a vehicle tire. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Once located, the suspect will be charged with disorderly conduct while armed, recklessly endangering safety and criminal damage to property (all domestic-related charges). Investigation continuing.
15) CENTRAL: Domestic Disturbance – 11:09 p.m. Officers responded to a domestic disturbance between two subjects (40-year-old WF victim and 42-year-old WM suspect). The suspect punched the victim in the face and the victim lost consciousness. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and battery (domestic-related charges) as well as bail jumping (two counts).
16) WEST: Domestic Disturbance – 11:24 p.m. Officers responded to the 7900 block of Tree Lane for a domestic disturbance between two subjects (41-year-old WF victim and 39-year-old WM suspect). The victim attempted to leave the area and the suspect pulled/dragged her into a bedroom and restrained her by pinning her to the floor by the neck. The suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct, battery and false imprisonment (all domestic-related charges).
17) CENTRAL: Information/Sexual Assault – 11:24 p.m. Officers met with a victim (23-year-old WM) who reported a possible sexual assault by a co-worker/suspect (27-year-old WM) after a night out together drinking. Investigation continuing.