The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 07/06/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 07/07/2019, MPD received 521 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 521 calls for service for the past 24 hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (137), East (83), Midtown (62), North (75), South (37), West (74), and Other (53). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 7:40pm to 11:20pm and from 12:50am to 3:10am due to central district shots fired, north side death investigation and other priority calls for service.
1) CENTRAL: Disturbance – 9:26 am. A victim (28-year-old AAM) approached officers near the public library to report that while he was outside the library, a known suspect (36-year-old AAF) had yelled at him, spat at him and threw his belongings all over the sidewalk. Officers made contact with the suspect and arrested her for disorderly conduct, possession of drug paraphernalia and bail jumping. Investigation continuing.
2) SOUTH: Stolen Auto – 9:58 am. A victim (19-year-old AAF) reported a vehicle had been stolen from her residence on Churchill Dr, the keys to which had been stolen from a second unlocked vehicle which had been rummaged through. The stolen vehicle was later recovered near 1400 Loreen Dr. There is no suspect information at this time. Investigation continuing.
3) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense – 10:54 am. A caller to 911 reported observing an AAM seated in a vehicle on Britta Dr and waving a gun. Officers responded and initiated a traffic stop on a vehicle leaving the address. Officers conducted a consent search and did not find a firearm. Officers also canvassed the area where the caller had reported seeing a disturbance and did not find any evidence or further reports of a disturbance. No further police action was deemed necessary.
4) NORTH: Traffic Crash – 11:05 am. Officers responded to the area of Windom Way and N Sherman Ave where a vehicle had crashed into a pole, causing a live wire to come down into the roadway. Officers discovered the vehicle was stolen and observed multiple juveniles fleeing the scene. Officers controlled traffic in the area while MGE responded to fix the wire. Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Check Person – 1:49 pm. Officers responded to a residence on Littlemore Dr to check the welfare of a subject (64-year-old WF) who, according to the caller to dispatch, was intoxicated and acting strangely. The subject would not answer the door for officers, who then consulted with Journey Mental Health and decided to disengage for the time being. Investigation continuing.
6) CENTRAL: Assist EMS/Adult Arrested Person – 3:31 pm. Officers responded to the intersection of S Blair St and E Main St for an intoxicated subject/suspect (31-year-old AAF) for whom there was probable cause to arrest for bail jumping. An additional bail jumping charge was added and the suspect was conveyed to jail. Investigation continuing.
7) CITY-WIDE: Runaway/Missing Juvenile – 4:36 pm. A subject (16-year-old WF) did not show up to her friend's house where she was supposed to have gone after her mother dropped her off at East Towne Mall. The subject did not show up to work the following day. The subject's friend believes the subject is with her boyfriend. The subject was listed as missing and an ATL was aired. Investigation continuing.
8) WEST: Battery – 4:55 pm. The victim (27-year-old WM), a security guard at West Towne Mall, approached a group of juveniles which included the suspect (13-year-old AAM), and began filming the interaction in a common area of the mall. The suspect attempted to slap the phone out of the victim's hand but was unsuccessful. The suspect then punched the victim in the head. All three juveniles fled the scene on foot but were apprehended nearby by MPD officers. The suspect was charged with battery and transported to JRC. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 7:17 pm. A victim (51-year-old WM) was at the top of State St when three suspects (19-, 24- and 29-year-old AAMs) began harassing him. The suspects then began punching and kicking the victim and one of the suspects fired a round from a handgun. The incident was captured on city cameras. A caller to dispatch reported seeing the suspects in the area of Mendota Ct and Lake St. Upon arrival to the area officers located the three suspects and took them into custody. A handgun was recovered. All three suspects were charged with battery and disorderly conduct. The suspect who fired the gun (29-year-old AAM) was also charged with 1st degree reckless endangering safety. The other two suspects were additionally charged with party to a crime 1st degree reckless endangering safety. An incident report was completed on the MPD website. Investigation continuing.
10) NORTH: Death Investigation – 8:20 pm. A homeowner on Hanover St reported observing a female who was unresponsive next to their house. Officers arrived and found a white female deceased with no obvious signs of trauma. Efforts to identify the decedent have been unsuccessful thus far. Medical examiner's office notified. Investigation continuing.
11) NORTH: Conveyance Mental Health – 9:59 pm. The parents of a subject (22-year-old WM) took him to a local hospital as he was intoxicated, making suicidal statements and attempting to harm himself. Crisis workers contacted police and after being medically cleared, the subject was transported to WMHI.
12) NORTH: Weapons Offense Shots Fired – 11:39 pm. Officers responded to the Red Roof Inn on Hayes Rd for multiple callers reporting shots fired in the parking lot and vehicles leaving the area at a high rate of speed. Upon arrival officers located shell casings and damage to three unoccupied vehicles. There was no evidence of injuries on scene. Investigation continuing. Incident report completed on MPD website.
13) CENTRAL: Fight Call – 2:33 am. Officers observed a fight in progress outside Ian's Pizza on N Frances St. A suspect (24-year-old AAM) had caused a disturbance inside the restaurant by walking on tables and stepping on people's pizza. Two other suspects (23-year-old AAF and 24-year-old WM) told the first suspect to stop and began fighting with him. The first suspect was arrested for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest and was taken to jail. The other two suspects were cited for disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Investigation continuing.
14) CENTRAL: Drug Incident/Investigation – 3:54 am. Dispatchers received a report of a vehicle in the area of 100 N Carroll St possibly involved in a drug deal. Officers arrived in the area and made contact with the two occupants of the vehicle (25-year-old WF and 37-year-old AAM). A third suspect (27-year-old AAM) walked up on scene and began threatening officers. This suspect was taken to jail on charges of threats to law enforcement, possession of marijuana and resisting/obstructing arrest. Officers developed probable cause to search the vehicle and found cash and suspect illegal drugs which the female suspect claimed were hers. The female suspect was arrested for possession of marijuana and other pending drug charges. Investigation continuing.