The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 08/19/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 08/20/2019, MPD received 545 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 545 calls for service for the past 24-hours, this is how the calls came in per district: Central (82), East (109), Midtown (76), North (93), South (63), West (75), and Other (47). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 1:33pm-2:22pm due to calls for service.
**Priority calls only from 5:44pm-6:30pm due to calls for service.
1) NORTH: Information/Weapons Offense – 8:13 a.m. Officers received information about an ongoing dispute between two subjects (24-year-old AAM and 23-year-old AAM). The subjects were not located/contacted by officers. It was reported that a gun may have been involved. Investigation continuing.
2) EAST: Assist EMS/Fire – 9:01 a.m. Officers responded, along with MFD, to Ryan St after a vehicle struck an unknown wire. The wire ended up being a cable wire, therefore no danger to the driver/public. No further action needed by officers.
3) MIDTOWN: Stolen Auto – 11:21 a.m. Officers responded to the 400 block of S. Gammon Rd for a report of a stolen auto. The vehicle was left unattended, unlocked and with the keys in it. A group of juveniles were observed taking the vehicle. Attempt to locate aired. The vehicle was listed as stolen in the appropriate databases. Investigation continuing. ** The Dane County Sheriff's Office observed this vehicle later in the day and attempted a traffic stop. Spike strips were utilized which resulted in the vehicle stopping in Stoughton. The driver/suspect (UF) attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended. Investigation continuing.
4) EAST: Information/Sexual Assault – 2:40 p.m. Officers met with a victim (21-year-old UF) who reported being physically and sexually assaulted on Saturday night by three suspects (AAMs). Investigation continuing.
5) EAST: Weapons Offense – 3:22 p.m. Officers responded to the 2900 block of E. Washington Ave for a disturbance between two subjects (58-year-old AAM suspect and 58-year-old AAM victim). The suspect and victim are known acquaintances. The victim reported that the suspect was following him around a store and when he (the victim) told the suspect to stop the suspect pulled a box cutter. The victim further reported that he was cut in the back (superficial injury sustained; victim refused medical attention). The suspect was arrested for 2nd degree reckless endangering safety and disorderly conduct.
6) EAST: Fraud/Adult Arrested Person – 4:27 p.m. Officers responded to East Towne Blvd for a report of a suspect (30-year-old AAM) attempting to pass a counterfeit $100 bill. The suspect was contacted by officers. Investigation revealed that the suspect had successfully passed counterfeit at other stores and attempted to pass it at other stores as well prior to being contacted by officers. The suspect was arrested for uttering (2 counts). While at the jail the suspect resisted officers. Marijuana, cocaine and additional counterfeit money was located on the suspect. The suspect was subsequently charged with another two counts of uttering, possession of marijuana and possession of cocaine. Investigation continuing.
7) EAST: Crash/Property Damage – 5:26 p.m. Officers responded to E. Washington/Lexington for a crash. The driver (64-year-old AAM) struck a vehicle on E. Washington Ave. The vehicle that was struck took off and 3 occupants (driver described as an AAM) were observed fleeing from the vehicle. The struck/abandoned vehicle was confirmed to be stolen. K9 track conducted. The vehicle was returned to its owner. Investigation continuing.
8) NORTH: Information/Weapons Offense/Shots Fired – 7:55 p.m. Officers responded to Vera Court and met with the caller/victim (20-year-old AAF) who reported being shot at in her vehicle. The victim stated that she was near Anderson/International in her vehicle when a vehicle pulled up next to them (2 adults and 1 child in her vehicle at the time) and fired 3 shots towards them. No injuries reported. Areas canvassed. No evidence of shots fired located. There was a delay in this incident being reported. Investigation continuing.
9) CENTRAL: Information/Battery – 7:56 p.m. Officers responded to W. Main St for a report of a disturbance. The victim (39-year-old WM) was visiting an acquaintance (39-year-old WF) at her home when two other subjects/suspects (32-year-old WM and AAF) stopped over. It was reported that all subjects drank alcohol and smoked marijuana. A disturbance then took place where the victim reported being pushed and punched by the male suspect. The victim reported that both suspects left the residence. The victim was taken into protective custody in order to receive the necessary medical attention he required. Investigation continuing.
10) EAST: Check Person – 9:16 p.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a missing subject (30-year-old AAF). Areas checked. The subject was not located. No safety concerns identified for the subject. Attempt to locate aired. No further action deemed necessary by officers at this time.
11) CENTRAL: Check Person – 9:56 p.m. Officers received a request to check the welfare of a subject (37-yaer-old WM). The subject's mother contacted dispatch with concerns about her son but also mentioned that she did not want police to check on him. Contact was made with the subject's friend and no safety concerns were identified. No further action deemed necessary by officers at this time.
12) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 10:44 p.m. Officers responded to Straubel Court for a report of a stabbing. The caller/suspect (13-year-old UM) reported stabbing the victim (37-year-old AAM). The victim is the suspect's mother's boyfriend. The suspect reported that his mother and her boyfriend/victim were out drinking, came home and got into a physical altercation. The suspect advised that he intervened and stabbed the victim. The suspect's mother was uncooperative. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. The suspect was arrested and conveyed to the Juvenile Reception Center. Investigation continuing.
13) MIDTOWN: Check Property – 3:00 a.m. Officers responded to Offshore Drive for a report of shots fired. Areas canvassed. No evidence of shots fired located at this time. Additional canvassing may be necessary during daylight hours. Investigation continuing.