The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/04/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/05/2019, MPD received 547 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 547 calls for service for the past 24-hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (95), East (92), Midtown (99), North (95), South (53), West (61), and Other (52). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other".
**Priority calls only from 2:14am-3:18am due to calls for service.
1) EAST: Residential Burglary – 6:25 a.m. Officers responded to Bashford Lane after the caller/victim (57-year-old WF) awoke to an intruder/suspect (WM) in her home. The victim screamed and the suspect fled. Nothing appears to have been taken from the home at this time. Entry is believed to have been made through a window. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
2) MIDTOWN: Information/Animal Surrender – 8:05 a.m. Officers looked into a complaint that involved a subject refusing to give a dog back to its owner. Investigation revealed that the dog in question had run away/gotten lost and was taken in/cared for by a subject. The owner of the dog became aware of the dog's location and asked for the dog back, which the caretaker refused to do. A plan was developed by officers to have the dog reunited with its owners rather than charge anyone with a crime. Investigation continuing.
3) SOUTH: Drug Incident/Adult Arrested Person – 9:22 a.m. Officers responded to W. Wingra Drive for a driver/suspect (29-year-old WM) slumped over in a vehicle. The suspect was alert when officers arrived. The suspect admitted to heroin use. The suspect was arrested, medically cleared at a local hospital and then conveyed to jail on charges of possession of heroin and felony bail jumping.
4) WEST: Death Investigation – 11:35 a.m. Officers responded to a hotel on Junction Court for a deceased subject (54-year-old HM). Nothing suspicious identified at this time. Medical Examiner's office responded. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Crash/Adult Arrested Person – 1:19 p.m. Officers responded to a single-vehicle crash at Northport Dr/Troy Dr. The driver/suspect (56-year-old AAM) ran a red light and struck a pole. The suspect was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment of his non-life threatening injuries. The suspect admitted to the consumption of alcohol, cocaine and pain killers. The suspect was arrested for operating a motor vehicle while under the influence (1st offense) and conveyed to jail. The suspect was also cited for operating after suspension and a red light violation.
6) EAST: Reckless Driver/Adult Arrested Person – 2:00 p.m. Officers observed a driver/suspect (22-year-old AAF) driving erratically and almost causing several crashes in the area of Northstar/Cottage Grove Rd/Buckeye Rd/Stoughton Rd. A traffic stop was initiated and the suspect was not cooperative (there were several other occupants in the vehicle, including a child). The suspect was eventually arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with resisting, reckless driving, child safety seat violation and four other traffic violations.
7) MIDTOWN: Sexual Assault/Adult Arrested Person – 2:19 p.m. Officers responded to Braxton Place and met with three victims (62-year-old WF, 53-year-old WF and 44-year-old WF) who reported inappropriate contact by a suspect (76-year-old AAM). Probable cause was developed and the suspect was arrested, conveyed to jail and charged with disorderly conduct (3 counts) and 4th degree sexual assault.
8) NORTH: Sexual Assault/Adult Arrested Person – 3:46 p.m. Officers met with a victim (33-year-old WM) who reported being sexually assaulted the night before by her ex-boyfriend/suspect (30-year-old WM). The victim also reported being strangled, battered and held against her will. The suspect was contacted and probable cause was developed for his arrest. The suspect was conveyed to jail and charged with 2nd degree sexual assault (3 counts), strangulation, battery, false imprisonment and bail jumping (18 counts).
9) CENTRAL: Weapons Offense/Adult Arrested Person – 7:18 p.m. Officers responded to Williamson St for a disturbance involving a knife. The victim (24-year-old WM) and his acquaintance (20-year-old UF) were in a heated argument when the suspect (53-year-old WM) walked up to the victim and stabbed him in the back shoulder area. Neither the victim or the female subject knows the suspect. The suspect was located and detained. The victim was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment (stitches). Probable cause was developed and the suspect was arrested for 1st degree recklessly endangering safety. Incident Report on MPD's website completed.
10) EAST: Check Area/Sex Offense – 9:30 p.m. Officers spoke with a victim (53-year-old WF) who reported that a suspect (WM) exposed himself to her while she was at the laundromat. The suspect was not on scene when officers arrived. Investigation continuing.
11) SOUTH: Sexual Assault – 10:48 p.m. Officers met with a victim (35-year-old WF) who reported being sexually assaulted by a known acquaintance/suspect (UM). Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Crash with Injuries – 1:46 a.m. Officers responded to Portage Rd for a single-vehicle motorcycle crash. The driver (21-year-old WM) suffered a head injury and a broken leg. The driver was conveyed to a local hospital for treatment. Investigation continuing.
13) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense – 2:09 a.m. Officers responded to Reetz Rd after a caller/victim (34-year-old WM) reported that several of his windows in his home were shot out. No casings have been located at this time. No reports of shots fired in the area. No reports of injuries at this time. The damage appears to have been caused by a BB or pellet gun. Incident Report on MPD's website completed. Investigation continuing.
14) MIDTOWN: Weapons Offense – 2:11 a.m. Officers responded to Denton Place after a caller/victim (31-year-old WF) reported that her front window of her home had been shot out. The damage appears to have been caused by a BB or pellet gun. No casings have been located at this time. No injuries reported. Investigation continuing.
15) WEST: Weapons Offense – 2:26 a.m. An officer heard what they believed to be gunshots in the area of Elver Park. Area checked. No evidence of shots fired located at this time. Investigation continuing.