The information contained in my blog is derived from notes provided by MPD Officers-In-Charge (OIC) at the end of their shifts. Most narratives represent early and preliminary information that was gathered by an OIC from those in the field who were actively working cases. The OIC is sharing what they were being told, in the moment. In many instances, facts and circumstances, even the type of crime listed, can change as officers, detectives and investigators continue their work.
From 6:00 a.m. on 09/12/2019 through 6:00 a.m. on 09/13/2019, MPD received 497 calls for service. This number does not include parking complaints or 911 misdials. For purposes of clarification, the following abbreviations are short-hand for race designations: W=White, AA=African American, NA=Native American, H=Hispanic, ME=Middle Eastern, A=Asian, MR=Mixed Race, U=Unknown. MPD shifts are staggered as follows: 1st detail=7 a.m. to 3 p.m., 2nd detail=12 p.m. to 8 p.m., 3rd detail=3 p.m. to 11 p.m., 4th detail=8 p.m. to 4 a.m., 5th detail=11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
To further break down the 497 calls for service for the past 24 hours this is how the calls came in per district: Central (92), East (97), Midtown (78), North (71), South (57), West (51), and Other (51). Other=these are calls for service that either do not have a sector listed or the sector is not in the City. For example, if one of our officers assists another law enforcement agency, their sector is not listed in our districts so therefore it is listed under "other."
**Priority calls only from 2:00pm to 3:00pm, from 4:35pm to 6:00pm and from 9:55pm to 11:30pm due to calls for service.
1) MIDTOWN: Adult Arrested Person – 8:45 a.m. Officers responded to the 200 block of S. Park St for a subject/suspect (66-year-old WM) observed defecating on the property. The suspect was contacted and cited for depositing human waste. Investigation continuing.
2) CENTRAL: Adult Arrested Person – 9:42 a.m. Officers responded to the 200 block of S. Carroll St and met with the caller (33-year-old AAF) who reported being followed by two known suspects (24-year-old AAF and 26-year-old AAF) with whom she has had previous issues. The suspects were not on scene when officers arrived but were subsequently located, arrested, and conveyed to jail for outstanding warrants. Investigation continuing.
3) EAST: Information/Stolen Auto/Recovered – 10:10 a.m. Officers responded to what was originally reported as a stolen auto from Swanton Rd. Investigation discovered that the vehicle had been towed by building management. Registered owner updated. No further action deemed necessary by officers.
4) EAST: Drug Incident/Overdose – 10:58 a.m. Officers responded, along with MFD/EMS, to Target on Lien Rd for a subject (47-year-old WM) slumped over in a vehicle. MFD administered naloxone which revived the subject. No charges have been substantiated at this time. The subject was transported to a local hospital and left in the care of medical staff. Investigation continuing.
5) NORTH: Stolen Auto/Adult Arrested Persons – 2:14 pm. A vehicle stolen from the Town of Middleton eventually crashed on Knutson Dr on Madison's north side. Two suspects (22-year-old AAMs) were apprehended nearby in Meadow Ridge Park and arrested. A third suspect remains at large. The driver was charged with operating a motor vehicle without owner's consent. The passenger was charged with OMVWOC party to a crime. Investigation continuing.
6) SOUTH: Death Investigation – 2:14 pm. A family member found the subject (40-year-old WM) deceased in his residence. The subject had a history of alcohol and other drug abuse. Medical examiner on scene.
7) NORTH: Weapons Offense – 2:19 pm. A masked subject with a gun in hand entered the Citgo gas station at 1423 Northport Dr. Seeing no employees behind the counter, the suspect left. Two employees were stocking shelves and witnessed this. Officers are reviewing video footage for any images of the suspect without the mask. Investigation continuing.
8) MIDTOWN: Mental Health Conveyance – 2:36 pm. A subject (64-year-old WF) with dementia was riding as a passenger in a vehicle with her husband when she exited the vehicle in the middle of Verona Rd near the beltline. Officers arrived on scene and placed the subject into protective custody. Officers consulted with Journey Mental Health and the subject was eventually conveyed to WMHI.
9) WEST: Traffic Crash/Hit-and-Run – 3:38 pm. A van struck another vehicle in the 6400 block of Schroeder Rd and fled the scene. Officers located the van nearby unoccupied. The victims (44-year-old WM and 41-year-old WF) were transported to the hospital. Investigation continuing.
10) CENTRAL: Robbery – 4:05 pm. The cashier/victim (32-year-old AAM) at the gas station at 1130 Williamson St was in the back of the store stocking when he looked up at the security camera to see someone go behind the counter and then leave. Upon investigating, the clerk noticed money from a cash box beneath the register was missing. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
11) CENTRAL: Drug Incident Investigation/Arrested Adult – 6:41 pm. A caller reported a suspect (21-year-old AAM) with a gun in the area of E Mifflin St and N Livingston St. The Town of Madison was familiar with the suspect and the suspect vehicle and made a traffic stop. The suspect was detained and a search of the vehicle yielded multiple small packages of crack cocaine. Officers determined the original report of an incident with a gun was unfounded. The suspect was arrested and charged with possession of cocaine with intent to deliver and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
12) NORTH: Check Person – 10:05 pm. MPD officers and MFD paramedics were dispatched to the intersection of Packers Ave and Commercial Ave for a report of a subject (30-year-old AAM) lying in a puddle and attempting to swim. Officers contacted the subject, who was talking to himself and walking into traffic, and would not provide any information. Observations on scene suggested the subject may be under the influence of drugs. The subject physically resisted officers' attempts to detain him. The subject was then arrested and charged with resisting an officer and was taken to jail. Investigation continuing.
13) NORTH: Motor Vehicle vs Pedestrian Crash/Hit-and-Run – 10:07 pm. A victim (60-year-old WM) was crossing Northport Dr in the 1700 block at an illuminated crosswalk when he was struck by a vehicle traveling at an estimated 40-50 mph. The suspect vehicle fled the scene. The victim was transported to the hospital with life-threatening injuries. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.
14) SOUTH: Domestic Disturbance – 10:59 pm. Officers responded to a residence in the 2100 block of Pike Dr where the victim (47-year-old AAM) reported the suspect (37-year-old AAF) was throwing and breaking things around the house. The suspect then jumped on the victim and slapped him. The victim attempted to call 911 but the suspect knocked the phone out of his hands. The suspect was arrested and charged with criminal damage to property and intimidation of a victim. Investigation continuing.
15) MIDTOWN: Residential Burglary/Arrested Adult – 3:19 am. Multiple callers in the area of 100 N Mills St and Gerry Ct reported a suspect (19-year-old WM) attempting to enter, and in some cases successfully entering apartments. Officers located the suspect who was intoxicated and detained him. The suspect was arrested and charged with multiple counts of attempted burglary and burglary. Incident report completed on MPD website. Investigation continuing.